'White British' now a minority in London

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 9 months

Just looking through some of the 2011 census results - I was sumwhat surprised to see White British now make up just 45% of the population of London, making them officially a 'minority group'.

I wouldn't say I was angered by the figures, but this does highlight the need for a revised immigration policy. There are only so many jobs, so why make the situation worse by letting in more people into the work pool?
Good for business as it means they can be more selective on who they employ - not so good for Joe the plumber who now struggles to get by with the increased competition.

...On a side note, I'd say these figures are very much a regional thing. I'm sure the make-up of Stratford or Hounslow are far different to Richmond or Kensington.

Original post

Member for

14 years 1 month

I think that you will find that in many cities, especially western ones, that the
indigenous population is in the minority.

Member for

14 years 7 months

Immigration, overcrowding and the cost of living have driven Londoners out into the suburbs, country side. I lived in London for 39 years but finally had enough and moved out. Don't regret it for a moment. Much better quality of life outside. But it shouldn't have been that way. Too late to worry about it now.

Member for

13 years

There is another thread on a similar subject on here, and the census results confirm what many already suspected. Labour were importing voters en mass.

Their policies were extremely irresponsible, and have already caused immeasurable damage.

They alone are responsible for the consequences of this, history tells us that mass migration rarely ends in anything but misery, violence and death.

Member for

18 years 7 months

Shurely a large proportion of the other 55% are black British, rather than foreigners?

Member for

24 years 3 months

White British: 44.9%

Other white: 14.9%

Asian: 18.4%

Black: 13.3%

Arab: 1.3%

Mixed race: 5%

Those are the figures as given in the article. Doesn't seem so much of a minority now does it? Especially if one considers that the percentage of the population of London who are White British are almost two and a half times greater than that of the next most populous 'minority', the Asian community.

Regards,

kev35

Member for

13 years

From the BBC article:

"the number of foreign-born residents in England and Wales has risen by nearly three million since 2001 to 7.5 million, the 2011 census reports"

This is the problem, skin colour is utterly irrelevant. These figures obviously don't even include children born in this country to these immigrants.

Immigration has created the country we live in today, and migration from Britain has shaped the world from hundreds of years.

but the sheer scale of it is overwhelming in this case, and has caused resentment in many areas, where immigrants have formed communities that do little to interact with the existing population. This could have easily been avoided by a little control.

Member for

11 years 9 months

but the sheer scale of it is overwhelming in this case, and has caused resentment in many areas, where immigrants have formed communities that do little to interact with the existing population. This could have easily been avoided by a little control.

I think you're are right when you say the minority communities keeping themselves to themselves creates resentment.

The problem is lack of understanding of culture, on both the indigenous' and immigrant's behalf.

If the immigrants were more open and 'friendly' and the indigenous listened more and were less indifferent. Maybe the friction would not arise?

Member for

24 years 3 months

From the BBC article:

"the number of foreign-born residents in England and Whales has risen by nearly three million since 2001 to 7.5 million, the 2011 census reports"

This is the problem, skin colour is utterly irrelevant. These figures obviously don't even include children born in this country to these immigrants.

This could have easily been avoided by a little control.

Of course they don't include children born in this Country because they are British! If they were born in this country they cannot be foreign born.

And just what sort of controls would you like there to be? A total ban on immigration? Forced integration of minority communities into wider British society? Just let your imagination run riot, it's been done before.

Regards,

kev35

Member for

24 years 3 months

The problem is lack of understanding of culture, on both the indigenous' and immigrant's behalf.

If the immigrants were more open and 'friendly' and the indigenous listened more and were less indifferent. Maybe the friction would not arise?

Exactly. Integration is a two way street. If you're an immigrant and you perceive, from the actions of the community in which you live, that you are not welcome, how then can integration take place? What is the incentive? You naturally stay where you are welcome. j_jza180 stated above that skin colour is utterly irrelevant when, clearly, to a percentage of the indigenous population of this Country, it isn't.

Regards,

kev35

Member for

15 years 10 months

From the BBC article:

"the number of foreign-born residents in England and Whales has risen by nearly three million since 2001 to 7.5 million, the 2011 census reports"

How many people live in WHALES then, never tried it myself, yes we need some sort of immigration control, but "Labour importing voters" purlease, spare me from deluded Tory obsessives.

Member for

14 years 2 months

The indigenous peoples of the British Isles have fought off foreign invaders for thousands of years, and lost millions of lives in that time doing so in many wars, only for the politicians since WW2 to throw away all that effort and suffering by letting the country be swamped by mass immigration.
At least the Romans, Vikings, Normans, French and Germans could blend in...

Member for

11 years 9 months

Just to throw a curve ball on the topic. Everyone (me included) has been scrutinising the immigration figures.

(I don't necessarily see anything wrong with hard working immigrants) but what about those who have acquired a criminal record during their time in the UK - should they not be deported? 'Our house, our rules'.

I wonder if UKIP will capitalize on the latest census results? :diablo:

Member for

14 years 1 month

How many people live in WHALES then,

I can only think of one, Jonah :)

Member for

11 years 6 months

Exactly. Integration is a two way street.
Regards,
kev35

Yes it is. However I think the problem is not so black and white, if you'll excuse the pun. There is an inclination for immigrants of a given ethnic group and nationality to continue to dwell within the same group. That and the trend of multiculturalism actually disincentivises intergration, to the detriment of all parties.

I want the UK to be an intergrated mix of all groups comprising a UK entity, not a series of unintegrated "ghettoes" where the indigenous inhabitants live out their lives in as close a manner as possible to the countries from which they have come.

Member for

14 years 1 month

Doesn't this also often happen when British people go to live abroad ?
I suppose it's natural to stay around people you know, especially if you are
not bilingual.

A few years ago we had a very nice Nigerian family move in next to us.
We couldn't ask for nicer neighbours. It does feel strange though, when we
get invited in to one of their gatherings and we are the only white people there.

Member for

11 years 6 months

Yes - thankyou - I had meant to make that point. The problem, as I mentioned, is that ghettoes discourage intergration. I like your second paragraph. It can work.

Member for

11 years 9 months

Doesn't this also often happen when British people go to live abroad ?
I suppose it's natural to stay around people you know, especially if you are
not bilingual.

A few years ago we had a very nice Nigerian family move in next to us.
We couldn't ask for nicer neighbours. It does feel strange though, when we
get invited in to one of their gatherings and we are the only white people there.

I too have foreign neighbours. There are a very nice Chinese couple and an equally pleasant Indian family living just a few houses down from me.

The problem, however (as has been stated), are the ghetto areas - in London there isn't just China Town any more, but seemingly Pakistan Town, India Town, Korea Town, Poland Town - you name it.

I don't think language barriers are the issue? I thought all immigrants now had to have fluent English in order to be granted a visa under the new point based system?

Member for

11 years 6 months

I don't think language barriers are the issue? I thought all immigrants now had to have fluent English in order to be granted a visa under the new point based system?

I only wish that was true. If it was, the government would not have to duplicate various official documernts in about 20 languages....I think the fluent English requirement is for British citizens still unable to speak/write their own language fluently!!;);)

Member for

13 years 10 months

Just one question.

If I were to turn up in say Poland, Ukraine, or anywhere in Asia, with just the clothes I am wearing, no money, and no where to stay, or work, would those Countries afford me the same benefits we give to most of the immigrants that come here?. :rolleyes:
Just a thought.

Jim.

Lincoln .7

Member for

24 years 3 months

No Jim, they probably wouldn't, but that doesn't necessarily make their policies right either.

Regards,

kev35