Wot ? No Christmas cards !

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 1 month

10th December and just five cards so far have been received in my household.

Last year, had over 40. Are they falling from favour?

To buy and post a 'nice' card paying the new postage rates, you are now heading for £1 per unit. Is it the end of the line for cards ?

Original post

Member for

13 years 10 months

Yes, I have noticed that also, perhaps they have gone into "CARD IO ARREST" ;)

Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

13 years

Yes, me too ! I'm staring at just three cards when there is normally at this time, fifteen or twenty. Could this be an indication of my present popularity?

Member for

20 years 1 month

Yes, me too ! I'm staring at just three cards when there is normally at this time, fifteen or twenty. Could this be an indication of my present popularity?

I am working hard on an answer that won't hurt your feelings.

Standby.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Same here. Far fewer so far. In all fairness to friends and relatives, we've discouraged them a little from sending them, and I've sent a fair few 'e cards' this time round. They seem to have gone down ok. A couple of years ago, I lost my job, due to health reasons, so have to watch the pennies a bit, although closest family and friends still get a 'real' card.

Has anyone here had a 'cull' on their card lists recently? I did, and its amazing the number of people, that we really only hear from at this time of year. Some have simply dropped off the radar, holiday acquaintances and so on, so I stopped sending. Trouble is, just like the conundrum of who you visit on which days over the holidays, forgetting a card can cause offence too, and there's always that one which drops through the door, from someone you overlooked, or simply decided not too send to anymore........ah the joys of the mechanics of Christmas;)

Member for

14 years 1 month

........Has anyone here had a 'cull' on their card lists recently? ........

I did suggest this to my wife, about putting a note into some cards saying this would be the last year
we are sending them. That really went down well.

I don't see the point of sending cards to people you see on a regular basis.

Member for

13 years

I don't see the point in sending them at all its a "B" chore! Just remember them at Christmas great friends they are. Don't forget sods law on cards"no matter how many you send you will always get one that was not on the list!"

Member for

13 years

Propstrike,

If you can find any 'feelings' tell my wife. She reckons that a Tesco shopping trolley has more than I have. Publish and be damned !

Member for

17 years 11 months

You get 10 cards!! I only got one and that from a firm I had dealt with.:)

I did read the other day that cards could be becoming a luxury which appears true.

I do hope that my first line isn't true for anyone:(

Member for

13 years 10 months

I see a bit of "Bah Humbug" here, I don't care if I don't get any, however I do enjoy sending them.

May I be the first to wish you all, Mods and Key staff,included, a very Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year.And obviously GOOD HEALTH, :)

Jim.

Lincoln .7

Member for

15 years

Ever notice that you get Xmas (so few are truly CHRISTmas) cards from people you never hear from for the rest of the year? Why do they bother:confused:

Member for

17 years 6 months

I’ve usually got a few left-over cards and stamps stuffed in a carrier-bag from the previous Christmas (or the one before that). I’ve discovered the best way to dispose of these is to send them to friends but from fictional people; usually I include a few bits of detail, like remembering their children and a holiday they went on a few years previously. If I’m feeling particularly mischievous I’ll often include a promise to ‘pop round’ on Boxing Day!

Merry Christmas! :diablo:

Member for

14 years 7 months

You unfestive lot!
£3.99 bought enougth cards to send to my family. Quality not quantity. Everyone else can go suck!

Member for

15 years 2 months

As a founder member of the 'Bah Humbug' club, I forecast (to all those who were within earshot) some twenty years ago that the sending of Christmas cards would die out before 2020!

Looks like I could be right ;).

Judging by the cards I have received thus far this year, the word 'Christmas' is lacking from most - the words 'Xmas', 'Season' and 'Magical time' :eek: feature instead on more than half of them.

Now all we have to do is stop all that miserable 'Seasonal' music from being played in shops and pubs - then it will be just like any other time of the year! :D

Member for

13 years 10 months

I've just promoted you from "Founder member" to C.E.O. Bet you don't refuse your Christmas pressies though/;)

Jim.

Lincoln .7
No association with the Bah Humbug club. :p

Member for

14 years 1 month

Now all we have to do is stop all that miserable 'Seasonal' music from being played in shops and pubs - then it will be just like any other time of the year! :D

I agree about that terrible distorted seasonal "muzak".