BCATP

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 4 months

Good morning all,

I am the child of an RAF training with the BCATP in or near Winnipeg in 1942/43. My birth mother met him at the Marlborough Hotel in Winnipeg where dances were regularly held that welcomed servicemen and there were MANY in the area at the time. The young Winnipeg women met and danced with them. This was, as you know, a time of high stress but also high spirits. I was conceived on an evening when my birth father (b/f) told my b/m that he was being returned to active duty. He was later reported shot down over France Sept. 1943. I was subsequently adopted but found my b/m some 20 years ago. That began the search to identify my b/f.

My b/m knew him as "Marty" (could it have been Artie, Mortie??). His surname is unclear but might have been Warren or Morley and, no, there's no record that matches those names. The ballroom was a noisy place as you might imagine. He said he was from West Bromwich, was described as fair haired, blue-eyed, about 5'9" tall and of medium build. My b/m thought he was a Flying Officer or Pilot Officer. I expect civilians become familiar with the uniforms and insignia. A curiosity is he was sometimes in the company of non-commissioned personnel. It's been suggested to me by the good folks at the BCATP Museum in Brandon, Manitoba that he might of been an instructor.

My search has been long and unfruitful. I've searched the CWGC records many times. They even sent me a list of all the Sept. 1943 KIAs and all the KIAs listing West Bromwich as their home. Oh, there's sooooo many and none match the names I have. Another difficulty is the CWGC records frequently don't list an individuals home town nor their age. The particularly don't mention if they trained with the BCATP.

I believe I might further my search if I had a record of those in the BCATP training near Winnipeg and when they were returned to the UK. I could then cross-reference dates with possible names. All parties I've contacted, RAF, RCAF and various Air Force Associations, have no knowledge of such a records. Each suggests the other might have it.

What do I know for sure? The date of my conception, May 1943; the approximate date he was reported KIA. That information was given to the adoption social worker just after I was born in Feb. 1944. I have a copy of that record. The rest - not so much!

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Lenore Mason
Vancouver, BC

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Firstly, I don't think I can help with this as it really appears to be akin to looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack.

Secondly, could a moderator move this over to historic please? Perhaps Lenore may get more joy there?

Regards,

kev35