Clive Dunn - R.I.P

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 7 months

BBC reports that he passed away at the age of 92.

Rest peacefully Sir, what a fine actor he was, and he was a P.O.W for four years during World War Two.

Original post

Member for

16 years 5 months

sad news when i read of this,i grew up watching episodes of Dads army with my grandad, and reaffirming myself with the episodes after my grandad passed away, as a sort of memory to him

the world has lost one of the true acting greats with the basing of "Jonesy" i had hoped one day to meet him and thank him :(

RIP Lance Corporal Jones, Blue skies

Member for

11 years 5 months

Yes, sad indeed. A very warm and generous man, but great actor, no. I don't think he would have accepted that accolade. He created a character which he played for most of his career, with great success.

Member for

18 years 8 months

The fuzzy wuzzys dont like it up em you know!!!
RIP
x

Member for

11 years 8 months

DON'T PANIC! Great comic actor, RIP.

Member for

20 years 2 months

Career

Yes, sad indeed. A very warm and generous man, but great actor, no. I don't think he would have accepted that accolade. He created a character which he played for most of his career, with great success.

What do you mean "most of his career"? he was in films going back to 1935, he was only in dads army for 9 years it was only a small part of his varied life.

Member for

16 years 5 months

Great actor and very fondly remembered by me as a kid as Corporal Jones in Dads Army.

Think that only leaves two or three of the original cast still around.

Rob

Member for

20 years 5 months

Sad news. There are only three left, Ian Lavender (Pike), Frank Williams (the vicar) and Bill Pertwee (Warden Hodges)

Martin

Member for

11 years 5 months

What do you mean "most of his career"? he was in films going back to 1935, he was only in dads army for 9 years it was only a small part of his varied life.

Exactly that. Soon after he was demobbed in 1948, I think it was, he started to develop his repertoire of "old men", which proceeded to monopolise the rest of career, with rare exceptions. Dad's Army was ineed a small part of his career, but perhaps you did not see him playing his old men in It's a Square World and subsequently both before and after Dad's Army, in three other TV series. I do concede that he did not play old men whillst in his teens before the war.:)

Member for

20 years 2 months

dunn

Exactly that. Soon after he was demobbed in 1948, I think it was, he started to develop his repertoire of "old men", which proceeded to monopolise the rest of career, with rare exceptions. Dad's Army was ineed a small part of his career, but perhaps you did not see him playing his old men in It's a Square World and subsequently both before and after Dad's Army, in three other TV series. I do concede that he did not play old men whillst in his teens before the war.:)

You said he created a character (Jonesy) that he played for most of his career, or is that not what you meant, I also saw him on top o pops and a lot
of films (12 before dads army) and tv series, so no he did not play old men for most of his career. Jonesy is just the first thing some people think of when they hear his name.

Member for

11 years 5 months

You said he created a character (Jonesy) that he played for most of his career, or is that not what you meant, I also saw him on top o pops and a lot
of films (12 before dad army) and tv series, so no he did not play old men for most of his career. Jonesy is just the first thing some people think of when they hear his name.

I made no mention of the name Jonesy at any point in my post, if you read it. I said that he developed one character and played it for most of his career. That character was "an old man" and after Jones is probably best known as Grandad from the TV series and the record. As far as I recall he appeared on Top of the Pops singing Grandad. I think of him long before Dad's Army - I met him several times during It's A Square World.

Member for

20 years 2 months

I made no mention of the name Jonesy at any point in my post, if you read it. I said that he developed one character and played it for most of his career. That character was "an old man" and after Jones is probably best known as Grandad from the TV series and the record. As far as I recall he appeared on Top of the Pops singing Grandad. I think of him long before Dad's Army - I met him several times during It's A Square World.

I think your a bit confused by the word character, Dunn played the character
Jones in Dads Army, I think the word your looking for to discribe the parts were he played old men is Genre.

Member for

11 years 5 months

Sorry I think you are. Clive Dunn finessed an old man as a particular character which he played. Corporal Jones fitted that character. You do not speak of actors playing "genres". It doesn't mean anything in that context. I notice you have not referred to the other points I made in my response.

Member for

20 years 2 months

dunn

Sorry I think you are. Clive Dunn finessed an old man as a particular character which he played. Corporal Jones fitted that character. You do not speak of actors playing "genres". It doesn't mean anything in that context. I notice you have not referred to the other points I made in my response.

Thats because you are just talking b*llocks:D Jones was the character dunn played, not the other way round, sorry have to leave it there as I don't boil cabbages twice:D

Member for

24 years 2 months

RIP Mr. Dunn

Believe it or not I used to watch Dad's Army all the time and I have one set of episodes on DVD. That show makes me laugh so hard!

Jonesy was certainly a wonderful character and I'm just glad we will forever be able to enjoy his performances on Dad's Army and other shows.

Member for

11 years 5 months

Thats because you are just talking b*llocks:D Jones was the character dunn played, not the other way round, sorry have to leave it there as I don't boil cabbages twice:D

Sad to see you resorting to verbal abuse because you are incapable of sensible argument because you are not actually reading what I have written, but merely persisting in making the same blinkered point. You clearly do not know what you are talking about and so it is probably best that you contribute nothing further to this topic. Having spent a few years in the business I think I probably do know what I am talking about

Member for

16 years 5 months

gents, can we drop the debate, this thread im guessing was created as more of an obit as usual with most that appear on here, not for an argument about whos right and whos wrong

the world lost an excellent actor who was loved by millions, worse yet was the fact a family lost their husband/dad/grandad and all you can do is argue over who was right over, from what i can see, missreadings...?

Member for

11 years 5 months

the world lost an actor who was loved by millions, worse yet was the fact a family lost their husband/dad/grandad and all you can do is argue over who was right over, from what i can see, missreadings...?

I'll happily go along with that.:)

Member for

15 years 11 months

Drop the invective, chaps....this site is getting as bad as Prune.

Member for

14 years 6 months

They should use the old butchers truck as his herse.
"Stop, one, two, three - Open, one, two, three, - Insert, one, two, three, Fire! - one, two, three" - or something like that!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Good old boy, brought me a lot of joy.

Thanks Clive.