U.S. Election - Do you Care?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

I'll probably be banned for even bringing this up, but I just had to go ahead and ask a question that I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to...

So here it goes...Who would you prefer to win the 2012 U.S. Presidential Election?

As a bonus question...Do you even care?

Honestly, this is a free for all. Any answer you provide will be fine. My curiosity just got the better of me so I thought I'd ask. I won't get offended one way or the other, and if you don't care then please say so.

I freely admit I don't pay much attention to elections in foreign countries so I would certainly not expect anyone from another nation to think much about ours. I'm just asking because I'm curious.

Thanks, and I look forward to hearing the variety of responses!

(The thread is intended for non-U.S. citizens to answer. Fellow Americans who may be reading this, place don't feel pressured to answer. I fully realize that who you vote for is your business, and I'm not trying to get into anyone's business who will be or has already voted. I'm just asking because I'm curious about how people in other nations see it.)

Original post

Member for

11 years 6 months

Unlike many Brits I think the result of your election is extremely important. The US is still the biggest "Superpower" and the decisions it makes affect every other country and how it develops its global relationships are of great significance. To my mind those who do not care are very parochial.

As to who I want to win? I don't know. Neither candidate impresses me. Obama was clearly elected on a blaze of Blairite-style PR adulation. And after 4 years he has hardly acclaimed a ringing endorsement, and the fact that you have a duality of governance with Republicans running the day-to-day business alongside a Democratic President suggest a schism in what your citizens really feel.

Against a stronger opponent I think Obama would lose but I think he will just scrape home for another 4 years and be faced with a Republican House and Senate, so he will not be able to achieve any more in his second term than in his first. As in most elections it will be the economy which decides it.

Member for

13 years

Honestly I don't care much. Whoever wins will still have his strings pulled by those in the shadows.
I would like Obama to win though as he seems the most Statesmanlike. Be fair to him he became President just as the economy collapsed and can hardly be blamed for the mess left by the chimp at home and overseas.

Member for

14 years 1 month

I think it's a safe bet to say that the majority of people in the UK, don't really
care, and don't understand US politics.

I should also imagine that a huge number of people in the US, don't even
know who our Prime Minister is. Or for that matter, could find the UK on a
map of the world.

I wonder how many Americans understand US politics ?

Member for

11 years 6 months

I think it's a safe bet to say that the majority of people in the UK, don't really
care, and don't understand US politics.

You might well be right but it is hardly anything to be proud of. And of course the one follows the other - if you don't care you are hardly likely to take the trouble to learn.

Member for

13 years 10 months

Have to agree with Alan on his points also.

Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

13 years 10 months

You might well be right but it is hardly anything to be proud of. And of course the one follows the other - if you don't care you are hardly likely to take the trouble to learn.

As most of us here are unable to understand our OWN politics, it's only fair to say, how can we be expected to understand the U.S.As?. I would hazard a guess that a lot we never get to know, or hear about is hidden by the 30 yrs rule, which is a very conviniant way of hiding the truth from us.

Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

24 years 3 months

The US may indeed still be a superpower, but one I think, that it is in a slow, gradual decline in that respect. Being in debt to the tune of trillions of dollars, will inevitably have an effect on the US being able to hang on to that status, as time marches on. Economics is key in these matters, and economic power is shifting east.

Personally, my blood runs cold at the thought of a Romney victory. A neo con president let loose with both houses being under Republican control, coupled with a huge military machine, would IMO, be a very worrying scenario indeed, or at least it should be.

Better the devil you know etc. Personally, I don't rate Obama all that much, but he would still be infinitely preferable to that other guy.

Member for

11 years 6 months

As most of us here are unable to understand our OWN politics,
Lincoln .7

Speak for yourself!!;);)

Member for

15 years 10 months

Personally, my blood runs cold at the thought of a Romney victory. A neo con president let loose with both houses being under Republican control, coupled with a huge military machine, would IMO, be a very worrying scenario indeed, or at least it should be.

Better the devil you know etc. Personally, I don't rate Obama all that much, but he would still be infinitely preferable to that other guy.

Agreed certainly don't fancy having Romney with his hands on so much military strength, particularly when we seem to be dragged into military adventures with the USA.

Member for

11 years 6 months

I think history has shown that America's enemies respect a tough president who can play softball if he chooses to rather than a weak president who doesn't know how to play hardball. Yes, I know that Obama took Bin Laden out but it was only a matter of time anyway. I have a feeling Iran might be salivating over an Obama second term.

Member for

24 years 3 months

So here it goes...Who would you prefer to win the 2012 U.S. Presidential Election?

As a bonus question...Do you even care?

I know that I should care, but I am totally defeated by trying to understand the issues involved.

Here's my view as a moderately intelligent, very pro-American Brit.

1) Obama doesn't seem to have done anything disastrously wrong during his first term.

2) Obama doesn't seem to have done anything spectacularly right during his first term.

3) A major issue seems to be healthcare with a lot of Americans not wanting it and Obama thinking it's a good idea

4) Romney looks a bit of a buffoon and a tad disaster prone. He brings to mind the later Bush

Actually, having written it down, and with particular reference to 4) I think Obama is probably my preference.

How does that analysis seem to our US chums on here?

Moggy

Member for

13 years 10 months

Speak for yourself!!;);)

I think I can safely say that MOST Brits don't, and that includes, the Politicians.:)

Jim.

Lincoln .7

Member for

17 years 6 months

I would say it will be won or lost on how Obama handless the crisis in New York, if he sorts out the Hurricane Sandy after effects, he will romp it, sad to say it couldn't have happened at a better time for him as the spotlight has shifted to him and his actions.

Member for

13 years

I know that I should care, but I am totally defeated by trying to understand the issues involved.

Here's my view as a moderately intelligent, very pro-American Brit.

1) Obama doesn't seem to have done anything disastrously wrong during his first term.

2) Obama doesn't seem to have done anything spectacularly right during his first term.

3) A major issue seems to be healthcare with a lot of Americans not wanting it and Obama thinking it's a good idea

4) Romney looks a bit of a buffoon and a tad disaster prone. He brings to mind the later Bush

Actually, having written it down, and with particular reference to 4) I think Obama is probably my preference.

How does that analysis seem to our US chums on here?

Moggy

I think Moggy has summed it up better than me.(Good God I seem to be agreeing with him more often these days!)

Member for

11 years 6 months

I think 4) is how he is perceived in parts of the media and his opponents but I don't think a buffoon would have made a success of his career thus far. In think he also says what a lot of Americans want to hear but don't want to enunciate themselves.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Maybe so, but the more I look into him, the less appealing he becomes

Romney supported the Vietnam War, but did not enlist. Instead, he got draft deferments and worked as a missionary ["minister of religion"] for 31 months, for the Mormon church, in France, one of those "European countries" that he often tries to tie President Obama to.

The Associated Press reports that after Romney completed his missionary service in 1969, but he asked for and got more deferments, a total of four, successfully staying out of the war that claimed over fifty thousand American lives

Whatever the rights and wrongs of US involvement over there, this does not endear him to me.

Moggy

Member for

11 years 6 months

Bill Clinton clearly his model there then.......You make an telling point. I hope we (they) are not electing a President because they are endeared to him. I hope they will elect a President who has the guts, finesse, intellect and nous to do the best for the country. If that means making tough non-populist decisions then so be it.

Member for

24 years 3 months

but I don't think a buffoon would have made a success of his career thus far.

Why not? George 'Dubbya' didn't do too bad for a draft dodging 'buffoon' did he. Pump enough money and spin into a presidential campaign, and it would seem that you can make a silk purse out of any pigs ear, God 'elp us.

Member for

14 years 7 months

Personally I couldn't care less who wins. No particular reason. I'm not `there` so cannot influence the outcome. Not my deal.
However I quite like Obama. He seems pretty down to earth. Seems a nice bloke. The other chap (what's his name?) seems a bit brash and a little too American, if that makes sense.
I just hope that whoever gets in they don't drag us all into a war with Iran. Or drag us into a deeper recession.