Media aviation howlers

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 7 months

How about a thread on the idiotic things said in the media (TV, papers, whatever) about aviation? To start, I offer this little gem from today's Daily Mail Weekend magazine article about the RAFM Cosford, where apparently you can see ..".a Comet 1a once used by the Red Arrows"

Original post

Member for

15 years 10 months

This dates back to last year, a VC10 was doing low level circuits around Warton in connection with some instrument setting on the airfield.

The circuits took it over a good part of Southport to the delight of many,
our local paper identified the VC10 as Boeing Jumbo Jet, not very precise as to which one, but easy to confuse of course, after all Boeing are well known for siting engines on the rear fuselage.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Member for

17 years 6 months

I'm sure I read in a recent news story about a WW2 pilot who was killed because he was "unable to eject".

Member for

20 years 8 months

I'm sure I've seen at least two articles referring to the Spitfire as a "fighter jet"...

Member for

17 years 6 months

There was a First World War board of enquiry report that concluded "the aircraft crashed due to there being no lift in the air"

Member for

24 years 3 months

In a similar vein to Tony's post above this isn't media but the result of a Court of Inquiry into the second fatal accident from which the pilot managed to escape by abandoning the aircraft before his crew. The inquiry concluded that both incidents were due to a lack of airmanship by the pilot but had no hesitation in recommending him for future employment on single seat aircraft.

Again, not media as such, but it has always amused me how in programmes like Hart to Hart and others of that ilk, the hero and heroine quite regularly took off in a Learjet, were seen in flight aboard a Boeing 747 and then landed in a DC9. You can substitute any type of aircraft as from memory the combinations were pretty endless.

Regards,

kev35

Member for

17 years 6 months

If we’re including movies and TV shows it’s going to be a long thread! :diablo:

My personal pet-hate is ‘explosive decompression’ in aircraft; why when the door blows-off does the hero / heroine / villain have to spend so long fighting against all that rushing air? And why does the aircraft always seem to go into an immediate power-dive...

...and start making that noise a Stuka makes? :rolleyes:

Member for

14 years

Nobody wears an oxygen mask in the movies, the bad guy always has a black helmet and aeroplanes have to howl like a banshee when there's a problem.

How else would we know what was going on?

Member for

18 years 7 months

Again, not media as such, but it has always amused me how in programmes like Hart to Hart and others of that ilk, the hero and heroine quite regularly took off in a Learjet, were seen in flight aboard a Boeing 747 and then landed in a DC9. You can substitute any type of aircraft as from memory the combinations were pretty endless.
kev35

One of my pet hates too Kev, probably because it's just sheer laziness. No one would ever dare be so stupid with, say, a car chase.

Member for

19 years 5 months

A regular occurence in news reports is that they think a stall is an engine malfunction.

I used to train people on how to speak about aviation to the media.
Rule number 1...Speak English....not jargon or technical talk.
Rule number 2...Don't assume they know what you're talking about.

Member for

11 years 7 months

A regular occurence in news reports is that they think a stall is an engine malfunction.

It is an engine malfunction though.

Member for

17 years 6 months

No it isn't.....not even if you're driving a car. It's pilot error! ;)

Member for

11 years 7 months

Oh OK. although I'm not sure how a engine compressor stall could be construed as pilot error though.

Member for

24 years 3 months

But please all remember, when the aircraft starts making the Stuka howl and plummeting (a favourite media word) because the baddie has sabotaged the fuel system, all can be saved by the hero and heroine jointly pulling back on the control yoke with all their strength.

One wouldn't mind so much if the heroine suffered a costume malfunction at this point, but they never do. :(

Moggy

Member for

17 years 6 months

Oh OK. although I'm not sure how a engine compressor stall could be construed as pilot error though.

I hadn't considered jet engines actually. :o Usually when TV reports talk about an aircraft 'stalling' they are thinking about what they do when they try to pull away from the lights in their car...

...that is pilot error! :D

Is even the stalling of a jet engine compressor an engine 'malfunction' since the engine is not physically damaged; it has just got into a situation where it cannot function as intended?

Member for

17 years 6 months

...all can be saved by the hero and heroine jointly pulling back on the control yoke with all their strength.

Even if it is an aircraft with powered flying controls! :rolleyes: I'd forgotten that part. :D

One other thing that bugs me is the vast spaces apparently available to hide in on a flying airliner! I watched some of the (dreadful) 'Flightplan' on TV last night; the heroine goes of into the 'avionics bay'...

...it was the size of a ship's engine room! :rolleyes:

Member for

24 years 3 months

I think we should maybe add in the interest of topicality Channel 4's complete bollox-up of Aerobility's stunning contribution to last night's paralympic opening ceremony

There's a collection of photos from the flypast using the "view gallery" link on the Aerobility site today:- http://www.bdfa.net/

And a video from BBC News here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b01m9rg8/?t=2m10s

Moggy

Member for

15 years 2 months

Thanks for posting that, moggy. I never even saw the flypast on Channel 4.

Member for

11 years 7 months

Is even the stalling of a jet engine compressor an engine 'malfunction' since the engine is not physically damaged; it has just got into a situation where it cannot function as intended?

If the compressor stall can indeed damage the engine especially if the engine surges.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thanks for posting that, moggy. I never even saw the flypast on Channel 4.

If you can sit through 4 minutes 50 seconds of this You Tube you will be rewarded with some great air-to-air

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd4FgGSY5BY

And even on this the commentators haven't a clue "Oh look, now there's a flypast Haven't we been having a lot of rain?"

Moggy

Member for

19 years 5 months

It is an engine malfunction though.

Not in ground school...:rolleyes:

In aviation, I've heard of engine stoppages and failures. Never "stall".