Julian Assange

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 7 months

Personally I think he went too far by leaking US military information about a war that is still ongoing.
Having read some of the information it is mostly benign but if even one person is put at danger by this I say he was out of order.
Having said that if punished it should be a sentence that matches the crime. I feel the US may go over the top and dish out some kind of retribution in the form of a hundred year sentence. I also wonder about the UK seemingly being a puppy dog to US wishes.
One thing is for sure I bet he wishes he hadn't done it!

Original post

Member for

13 years

We've handled this very badly if the news reports are to be believed, though I suspect it's been blown out of all proportion.

However, Assange has shown his true colours - he's a coward.

He's an anarchist, and who knows how many US and UK soldiers are now dead because of him. He's also a criminal in our country, and Ecuador should be ashamed of harbouring a known felon, especially as there is still a case for whatever sexual deviance he is accused of committing in Sweden.

I hope the Americans get him.

Member for

17 years 6 months

They should not go into the Embassy, that would set a precedent to all other countries to do the same to ours...but they should not let him leave it either...

Shame they cannot blast him with music 24/7 as they did with Noriega, but the locals probably wouldnt appreciate it...

I do think it is wrong to give him Sanctuary when he was being subject to the due dillegence of law.. And if he has nothing to hide then send him to Sweden, I cannot understand why they cannot simply if he refuses to go hold a trial in Sweden with him giving evidence via the web as is the case with that child murdering suspect.... If found guilty then jail him here for his sentence and get Sweden to pick up the prison tab.....

I also have no time for the Scum as he will have cost peoples lives, I would have deported him... Down town Helmand province would have been the place to send him too.... Let see how he likes his life being put at risk, as he has done to others.

Member for

20 years 9 months

If he's such a wanted man, how did he arrive at the Ecuador Embassy in London?

Sneak in the back door when no one was looking?

Member for

13 years 3 months

poke a wasps nest and you will get stung :diablo:

Member for

18 years 7 months

Ecuador says it fears for his human rights if he was extradited to Sweden, but what about the rights of the 2 women he allegedly sexually assaulted ? I think we should also remember that he broke the terms of his bail by seeking asylum in the embassy, which shows what a disregard he has for our laws.

Member for

16 years 3 months

Fully support what the Ecudorians have done, good on them. He should be given immediate free passage to leave the country. Sadly our man Bill Hague will cow-tow to the USA and the whole things will drag on for years. If we go in and get him it negates the whole purpose of having diplomatic immunity.

Planemike

Member for

16 years 3 months

We've handled this very badly if the news reports are to be believed, though I suspect it's been blown out of all proportion.

However, Assange has shown his true colours - he's a coward.

He's an anarchist, and who knows how many US and UK soldiers are now dead because of him. He's also a criminal in our country, and Ecuador should be ashamed of harbouring a known felon, especially as there is still a case for whatever sexual deviance he is accused of committing in Sweden.

I hope the Americans get him.

Julian Assange is courageous man. Would have been very easy to have sit back and done nowt.

The reasons we have have lost soldiers is because we have gone into countries where we have no needs or right to be. Nothing to do with Mr Assange.

What just like they want to get Gary McKinnon?? Guess you will also be in favour of sending him off to the US to face their perverted form of ""justice"" ??

Planemike

Member for

18 years 7 months

What just like they want to get Gary McKinnon?? Guess you will also be in favour of sending him off to the US to face their perverted form of ""justice"" ??

Yes.

Member for

13 years

Julian Assange is courageous man. Would have been very easy to have sit back and done nowt.

The reasons we have have lost soldiers is because we have gone into countries where we have no needs or right to be. Nothing to do with Mr Assange.

Planemike

Telling someone's secrets, and then running away when it's time to face the consequences IS NOT courageous!

I'm all for freedom of information, but be realistic, there are many things that are kept from the general public for very good reason. He isn't even American, what business does he have sharing their secrets?

We were VERY reasonable with him, and he's repaid us by breaking our laws when it suits him.

Dishonest and dishonourable.

Member for

11 years 9 months

Assange can't stay in the Ecuadorian Embassy forever... I mean, who would want to spend the rest of your life confined within the 4 walls of a building? You might as well just serve your time in prison.

So, when Assange finally does emerge from the embassy, he'll be stepping back onto British soil - where he is then under British law, and he can be arrested.

Member for

16 years 3 months

Exactly so, that is why he should be given free passage so he can take up the asylum he has been offered by the Ecudorians. Trouble is we will cow-tow to the US government instead of recognising Julian for what he is... a Hero of the People.

Planemike

Member for

16 years 3 months

Telling someone's secrets, and then running away when it's time to face the consequences IS NOT courageous!

I'm all for freedom of information, but be realistic, there are many things that are kept from the general public for very good reason. He isn't even American, what business does he have sharing their secrets?

We were VERY reasonable with him, and he's repaid us by breaking our laws when it suits him.

Dishonest and dishonourable.

He is a Hero of the People. We need more openness, very easy for governments to hide behind secrecy. Why should we be kept in ignorance? "Freedom of information".....when it suits.

If it takes a non American to bust it open, so be it !!! Good on yer Julian !!!

Planemike

Member for

13 years

He has broken the conditions of his bail, so he will be arrested. Or should people be allowed to pick and choose the laws they obey?

He may be a hero of yours, but he is certainly not a hero of the people. I don't know anyone who likes him. How is he any different from people who share confidential information, such as bank details?

Member for

14 years 2 months

Let's face it, the crimes he has to face in Sweden may be local news, but certainly wouldn't be of worldwide interest. He hasn't been charged with a crime, and even the Swedish government has said they have no legitimate reason to seek Assange's extradition. It's just an excuse to 'get him' on something.
It's very easy to call him a coward, but what are the alternatives? Hand himself in so that the full might of some miffed American court can imprison him for life, or execute him?
The UK government will do anything to ingratiate themselves to the US - and even go so far as to violate international diplomatic laws and conventions, which could have much more serious implications worldwide.
My best wishes to Mr Assange...

Member for

11 years 9 months

Trouble is we will cow-tow to the US government instead of recognising Julian for what he is... a Hero of the People.

What have the US government got to do with this? This is about extraditing him to Sweden.

Sweden (along with the UK) do not extradite anyone to the US - if they believe that in doing so the defendant will face the death penalty... So, Assange doesn't have that to fear.

If someone's performed a crime - they shouldn't be allowed to get away with it. Excuse me while I just rape some Swedish women, hack into secret government computers then post it all online and get away with it...

Member for

17 years 6 months

Matt he could leave as diplomatic baggage or even be issued with a diplomats credentials, you then cannot touch him as he departs, however the only flight to Equador are on US carriers or Iberia I believe. You then hVe to find someone that would transport him, a US carrier may wll end up Stateside leaving him one option, and as Spain abides to European laws one would suspect that might be a no no.

Member for

16 years 3 months

He is Hero of the People. The US goverment is out " to get him", totally and absolutely wrong. We need to do everything we can to defend him. Just a great shame that Bill Hague does not have the balls to stand and tell the Americans he can have free passage and go to Ecuador. Rather than having him extradited the Swedes should be giving him the Nobel Peace Prize.

Planemike

Member for

11 years 9 months

He's sexually assaulted women and you want to give him the nobel peace prize? What kind of sick ... are you?

Member for

16 years 3 months

What have the US government got to do with this? This is about extraditing him to Sweden.

Sweden (along with the UK) do not extradite anyone to the US - if they believe that in doing so the defendant will face the death penalty... So, Assange doesn't have that to fear.

If someone's performed a crime - they shouldn't be allowed to get away with it. Excuse me while I just rape some Swedish women, hack into secret government computers then post it all online and get away with it...

Matt..........

You are incredibly naive, thats what all this is about. The US government wants to get it's hands on him and the US would use the death penalty if it suited their book.

The charges in Sweeden are just trumped up charges, so he can be sent there and then on to the US.

Planemike