Are the forces using UAVs during the Olympics

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 7 months

I live in south west London
over the past 3 nights there has been something buzzing about, not a helicopter or a light aircraft, much lighter sound,

I suppose it's not beyond the realms of possibilities that it is

Original post

Member for

17 years 7 months

yep could easily been something like that TO23, it looks like it would make the sort of sound I heard

Member for

14 years 7 months

The day before the start of the Iraq War I clearly heard two A10's over London at night without nav lights.

Member for

15 years 9 months

Police will probably use small ones, not sure about the military though.

Member for

12 years 10 months

I believe that, at the Olympics some people will be using Javelins !!

Attachments

Member for

18 years 2 months

Several of the boards in this display explain some of the 'civilian' and micro-UAV uses!! :) Some nice Shackleton items on there as well!! (i.e. on the link!)

It's still on display and the touch screen monitor was recently replaced!

No doubt we’ll have the ‘civil liberties brigade’ on our case again!! :rolleyes:

Member for

24 years 3 months

I live in south west London
over the past 3 nights there has been something buzzing about, not a helicopter or a light aircraft, much lighter sound,

I suppose it's not beyond the realms of possibilities that it is

Nano helicopters....;)

Member for

17 years 7 months

UAVs eyeballed this morning following the flame down the river, 3 weird little things, sort of circular with arms

Member for

20 years 2 months

After the opening ceremony two Typhoons recovered to Coningsby, presumably after burning some fuel over London for a few hours. I would be very surprised if theres isnt UAV's doing the same thing 24 hours a day while the games are on.

Member for

24 years 3 months

There was a BN Defender (the military version of the BN Islander) flying wide circuits around the SW London area in the early hours of Tuesday. It was buzzing around below the cloudbase and the uplighting from the city lights meant it was pretty easy to recognise, complete with it's lumpy-bumpy nose.

Member for

17 years 7 months

they have the Defenders up everyday from Northolt, what they actually do is a bit of mystery, 24 hour surveillance of something,

going on from that, what is a RAF Sentinel doing loitering over London at FL40 for hours on end, this happens quite regularly,

Member for

13 years 1 month

I work high up in the big pointy tower at Canary Wharf. I was hoping to see lots of air traffic over the Olympic fortnight but there's been less than usual, just the odd Lynx.

On the river it's a different story with the Hereford Gun club and their maritime colleagues tanking up and down the river in RIBS and the odd landing craft thing

Member for

14 years 1 month

And all because some people in shorts want to run and jump about a bit. Are UAV's being introduced as a step up in the level of surveillance we tolerate as normal?