Retirement

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years 9 months

OK so you are a Bricklayer in your early 20's slapping that compo about & hodding them bricks up 2 flights -----& the government says you cant retire untill you are 75 !!!!!

Yea in your dreams ---How many 75 year old bricklayers have you seen up a ladder ??

Ditto , most other occupations in this country .

Cant wait for the first 80 yr. old F35 Pilot !!

Original post

Member for

20 years 8 months

Pffft, no-one is gonna be telling me when I can retire. Soon as my mortgage is paid off, that's when I retire. But, ssshhh, don't tell Mr Cameron...:)

Member for

13 years

Cant wait for the first 80 yr. old F35 Pilot !!

Well if we start training them now by the time the MOD and Dave and his mates have finished pratting about thats when we will get them!

Member for

13 years 9 months

Paul178.
Paul, Are they not telling us that now our State pension is going to be means tested also?.

Best off, having no mortguage, savings etc, and scrounging off the State. Do they have to forego their houses in Scotland should you have to go into a Care Home?. seems to ring a bell that they don't but may have read it wrong.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

24 years 2 months

*sighs*

And where does it say that you have to stick at the same job all your life?

Back in 1970 I worked on the Triumph Stag launch in the South of France. A dream job for a twenty-year old.

In the interim I have worked for Saatchi, owned two advertising agencies, been Group Commercial Director at Atlantic, run Winchester UK, and what am I doing today? Actually today?

Working back in the motor industry, helping Nissan Dealers to come to grips with pure EV technology.

Every bit has been fun. And I am enjoying today almost as much as working for Atlantic.

Retire? Why should I?

Moggy

Member for

12 years 9 months

I think times have changed a bit !! I've had 38 jobs since leaving school , some lasted a day & one actually lasted 6 years ........I gone from e-type jags to double dekker buses from market trader to trawlerman from Senior security manager to running pubs , clubs , hotels & wine bars . 2 antique shops & a whole host of crap jobs . And still managed to become an associate of the Institute of Supervisory Managers ....Retired at 62 with bladdder cancer , big ops & all the gubbins that goes with it ...going to be signed off as clear by my Surgeon this Friday . Never did like work !! like marriage , its a very overated pastime !!

Member for

20 years 2 months

*sighs*

Back in 1970 I worked on the Triumph Stag launch in the South of France. A dream job for a twenty-year old.

In the interim I have worked for Saatchi, owned two advertising agencies, been Group Commercial Director at Atlantic, run Winchester UK, and what am I doing today? Actually today?

Working back in the motor industry, helping Nissan Dealers to come to grips with pure EV technology.

Every bit has been fun. And I am enjoying today almost as much as working for Atlantic.

Retire? Why should I?

Moggy

Your've had a varied work life Moggy, but how old are you, because your profile says your not 20 untill 22nd july:D, or am I reading it wrong

Member for

17 years 6 months

...hodding them bricks...

I can't remember the last time I saw a hod?

The brickies round here (even the 75 year-olds) do their 'hodding' with a JCB! ;)

Member for

15 years 3 months

In this country (Strayliya) if you own your home and need to go to an old folks home or need to relocate for care then the people who own the institution your going to then sell your house and contents. They give you around $15,000 and keep the rest!!!!!! There are some that give an amount back to the family if it's only a short stay but most just keep it.
It is just legalised stealing. For the last 10 years or so there have been all sorts of shonks/spiffs/(insert your lowlife name here) getting into old folks homes. They feed them very little and spend the absolute minimum looking after them which mainly involves keeping the quiet, medicated,fed and into bed around 5pm.
It seems the way of the world, user pays, cost recovery and privitisation of everything government used to provide.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Your've had a varied work life Moggy, but how old are you, because your profile says your not 20 untill 22nd july

It can't be that hard to work out from the contents of my post and a pocket calculator :)

Moggy

Member for

20 years 2 months

Old guy

It can't be that hard to work out from the contents of my post and a pocket calculator :)

Moggy

Sorry I thought the age bit in a profile was were you actually put your age,
silly me:D. I will now amend mine to, lets see 25 sounds good:rolleyes:

Member for

16 years 10 months

*sighs*

Retire? Why should I?

Moggy

In 9 weeks time I will reach my "Double Majority", 42 years with the same company (ok its changed names a couple of times).

"Retire? Why should I?" If they want to keep paying me, I don't have to find a real job for the first time in my life, I just keep turning up in the morning.:diablo::diablo:

RMR

Member for

15 years 6 months

In this country (Strayliya) if you own your home and need to go to an old folks home or need to relocate for care then the people who own the institution your going to then sell your house and contents. They give you around $15,000 and keep the rest!!!!!! There are some that give an amount back to the family if it's only a short stay but most just keep it.
It is just legalised stealing. For the last 10 years or so there have been all sorts of shonks/spiffs/(insert your lowlife name here) getting into old folks homes. They feed them very little and spend the absolute minimum looking after them which mainly involves keeping the quiet, medicated,fed and into bed around 5pm.
It seems the way of the world, user pays, cost recovery and privitisation of everything government used to provide.

But only if you want and agree to finance your time in a retirement home via a reverse mortgage.

Superannuation has been compulsory for around 30 years now, and luckily more stringent laws about preservations ages should stop people blowing their retirement savings on sports cars and O/S holidays rather than using it to support their golden years.

But true, there were people who were caught between the winding back of the 1950s and 1960s welfare system, and the (government supported) self responsibility style approach that really gathered momentum from the early 1980s.