Soldiers in Uniform Turned-Away from Coventry Bar

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 6 months

Browns.....hang your heads in shame! :mad:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-18607764

They should’ve gone to the Golden Cross round the corner.....it’s been serving drinks since the first crusade! :diablo:

Original post

Member for

15 years 9 months

Squaddies are responsible for a LOT of fights in towns, so I can't really blame them.

It's similar to banning straight guys in groups from gay bars, they simply cause too much trouble.

Member for

18 years 10 months

.........no fights in your bar then.:diablo:

Member for

15 years 9 months

I don't own a bar.

Soldiers being refused entry to bars is very common. They can't cause trouble and then complain when they aren't welcome there anymore.

Member for

18 years 10 months

Member for

18 years 2 months

I think this is disgraceful. If they were refused entry due to their race, or colour, the landlord would be in front of a judge by now... Whatever the landlords reason, it's discrimination and it shouldn't be allowed.

Member for

15 years 9 months

@VX927

Soldiers would be allowed in if they behaved in a reasonable manner. Their reputation for beating each other up as well as innocent people around them, and trashing the place, means they aren't welcome. I'm sure people are turned away based on race, they just use a different excuse e.g "not tonight mate", "members only", "couples only" or whatever...

Member for

18 years 2 months

Mmmm.... I dont really know where I can go with that.... But I think you're wrong! Generally speaking, when soldiers are out in public... and in their uniform, they know how to behave. There are always exceptions to the rules, but overall, I think thats the case.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Soldiers would be allowed in if they behaved in a reasonable manner.

‘Browns’ is a student bar; it is right in the middle of Coventry University campus, a stone’s throw from the Cathedral. Coventry is not a garrison town so groups of ‘squaddies’ are not a problem and although Coventry has, or used to have, quite a bad reputation (which was mostly undeserved) I doubt there has ever been any trouble in ‘Browns’ from members of the Armed Forces in uniform.

Now I’m going back twenty-or-so years, when ‘Browns’ was on a different site in the shopping precinct but back then the drinkers were a mix of students and locals; it depended on the night of the week. I’m sure there has been some trouble since then with students (I nearly started a fight in there myself one night I’m ashamed to say) but I don’t suppose students are banned from ‘Browns’ are they!

Note that they weren’t refused service because they were in the Forces.....they were refused service because they were in uniform! :confused:

Member for

15 years 10 months

Even worse they were only there due to a funeral for a lad killed in Afghanistan, hardly a gang of squaddies out on the lash.

Member for

14 years 1 month

I doubt the publican knew this ?

Member for

17 years 6 months

I believe the Armed Forces are not allowed to drink alcohol ‘in public’ when in uniform (except at ‘private’ functions).

Member for

15 years

It seems that nobody is looking at it, from the opposite point of view; with today's moronic element, in society, ever wanting to prove how brave they are, by taking a pop at servicemen, maybe the owners were forestalling any trouble before it happened.

@VX927

Soldiers would be allowed in if they behaved in a reasonable manner. Their reputation for beating each other up as well as innocent people around them, and trashing the place, means they aren't welcome. I'm sure people are turned away based on race, they just use a different excuse e.g "not tonight mate", "members only", "couples only" or whatever...

Well, I think you are tarring all with the same brush. And extremely unfairly so.

In Wednesday I was in Worcester for my son's homecoming parade from Afghanistan; Queens Royal Hussars, Royal Mercian and 1st Bn Grenadier Guards.

An amazing day and fantastic parade and an incredible turnout by the local folk. It was PACKED. So, too, were the pubs afterwards with any number of soldiers, all well behaved, and all VERY welcome in the pubs.

Your generalisation that all soldiers are mindless thugs who go out, get tanked up and cause trouble as hooligans and smash up pubs and bars is way off mark. Yes, some probably do. But so do other groups of youngsters. However, one could equally say that all football supporters are mindless drunken hooligan thugs. Clearly, they are not.

I take exception and issue with you, PPP, over your unfair generalisation.

Member for

17 years 6 months

It seems that nobody is looking at it, from the opposite point of view; with today's moronic element, in society, ever wanting to prove how brave they are, by taking a pop at servicemen, maybe the owners were forestalling any trouble before it happened.

I doubt it; ‘Browns’ isn’t that sort of place. Back in my student days I used to drink in (the old) ‘Browns’ for exactly that reason; you were unlikely to get any trouble (and there were plenty of places in Coventry where you could guarantee to run-into that ‘moronic element’).

Member for

15 years 9 months

Well, I think you are tarring all with the same brush. And extremely unfairly so.

In Wednesday I was in Worcester for my son's homecoming parade from Afghanistan; Queens Royal Hussars, Royal Mercian and 1st Bn Grenadier Guards.

An amazing day and fantastic parade and an incredible turnout by the local folk. It was PACKED. So, too, were the pubs afterwards with any number of soldiers, all well behaved, and all VERY welcome in the pubs.

Your generalisation that all soldiers are mindless thugs who go out, get tanked up and cause trouble as hooligans and smash up pubs and bars is way off mark. Yes, some probably do. But so do other groups of youngsters. However, one could equally say that all football supporters are mindless drunken hooligan thugs. Clearly, they are not.

I take exception and issue with you, PPP, over your unfair generalisation.

You take exception and issue with me because I explained the other side of the story, providing an objective view on a story which clearly has two sides, rather than jumping straight on the bandwagon, blindfold firmly in place? In that case I guess the issue really is with you, not me.

I'm not the one "generalising", as I've said I don't own a pub, and I don't set door entry policies. Those who do set those policies may well be generalising, but I'm not, it's impossible for me to be.

As for your example, the soliders may well behave themselves on many occasions, but they clearly are causing a lot of trouble in bars or they wouldn't be barred from so many, would they?

Member for

18 years 2 months

You take exception and issue with me because I explained the other side of the story, providing an objective view on a story which clearly has two sides, rather than jumping straight on the bandwagon, blindfold firmly in place? In that case I guess the issue really is with you, not me.

ppp, it is true that you have provided 'a view'... But there is nothing at all 'objective' about your views on this thread. You're taring everyone with the same brush due to the organisation that they work for... I believe the correct term for that is 'corporate racism' though I stand to be corrected.

Member for

15 years 9 months

Soldiers aren't a race. My views are perfectly objective. Bar owners would I'm sure welcome the custom of soldiers, but clearly having that custom is evidently driving other customers away. They want to retain their licence, and that means refusing entry to those who may cause trouble. If you don't like it then maybe you'd be better off directing your energies at getting soldiers to behave themselves in bars.

Member for

18 years 2 months

Soldiers aren't a race.

Thank you for pointing that out to me ppp, but I'm already well aware of it.

Thats why I said its corporate racism, rather than racism... There is a difference, one is based on your 'race' (as I'm sure you know)... The is based on who you work for... I'm sure google will tell you all about it.

Member for

24 years 3 months

The point is that this was in the morning and the soldiers were trying to buy hot drinks. Or is ppp (who were you on this forum in your previous identity?) suggesting that the business concerned has, as a rule, the sort of clientele who would indulge in violence with members of Her Majesty's Armed Forces?

Regards,

kev35