Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Last Film You Watched..... IV

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J Boyle
    With malice towards none
    • Oct 2004

Not a film but an old television series I found on a obscure cable network:
    The High Chaparral from 1967-71.

One of the better "adult western" and one of the last if the genre n American television. Follows the story of a blended family's ranch in Arizona...and the trouble they have with bad guys, Apaches and the inhospitable climate.

It was praised at the time for its treatment of native Americans and extensive use of Mexican characters. And despite being filmed in the late 60s, it doesn't scream "we're trying to be hip/relevant"...like so many films and tv series of the period.
    Unlike many TV westerns of the period, it was largely shot on location (at the Old Tucson film ranch west if Tucson...worth a visit if you go to visit the USAF bone yard or the Pima Museum).

I understand it was a huge hit in Scandinavia, Spain and Germany.

Great fun.
    Last edited by J Boyle; 8th March 2017, 03:16.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

• 1batfastard
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Jan 2013

Hi All,
      Watched the very funny 'DEADPOOL' via (Sky Cinema) a super hero with a potty mouth If you haven't watched it yet and need a laugh give it a view
      you shouldn't be disappointed and Deadpool 2 is already on the way....

Starring:-Ryan Reynolds,Morena Baccarin,Ed Skrein,T.J. Miller,Gina Carano,Leslie Uggams,Brianna Hildebrand,Stefan Kapičić,Karan Soni,Jed Rees,
      Stan Lee,Rob Liefeld,Isaac C. Singleton Jr. and Rob Hayter.

Based upon Marvel Comics' most unconventional anti-hero, DEADPOOL tells the origin story of former Special Forces operative turned mercenary Wade Wilson, who after being subjected to a rogue experiment that leaves him with accelerated healing powers, adopts the alter ego Deadpool. Armed with his new abilities and a dark, twisted sense of humor, Deadpool hunts down the man who nearly destroyed his life.

Geoff.

Comment

• DazDaMan
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Aug 2003

Funnily enough, the last film I saw also starred the brilliant Mr. Reynolds.

It was Van Wilder - Party Liaison. Ryan Reynolds stars as Van Wilder, a guy who's been in college for seven years without graduating. His lifestyle comes under the scrutiny of the campus heads, plus reporter Tara Reid (before she became addicted to booze and drugs), whose boyfriend is determined to get Wilder out of college.

Silly, but fun.
        Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• 1batfastard
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Jan 2013

Hi All,
          Daz - He has a new Sci-Fi coming out called Life looks quite good from the trailer, having said that they either make the mistake of giving the whole story or just the best moments these days but would still be interested when it becomes available on Sky...

Right then back on track I watched the low budget British Horror 'The Borderlands' via BBCi ( Available until 08/04 ) Not to bad considering the small cast but just an average horror with one very upsetting scene in that made me wince good ending though....

Starring:-Gordon Kennedy,Robin Hill,Aidan McArdle,Patrick Godfrey and Luke Neal.

After reports of strange phenomena in a rural English church a team is sent by the Vatican to see if what's happening qualifies as a miracle. At first sceptical, and mistrusted by the locals, they soon learn that they may have found something far darker and more potent than they could possibly have imagined.

Geoff.

Comment

• DazDaMan
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Aug 2003

I might check out Life at some point. Although it does sound a bit like Alien, really!

Speaking of xenomorphs, Aliens was the last film I watched. Still great 31 years on!!
            Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• 1batfastard
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Jan 2013

Hi All,
              Daz if you haven't already I recommend what I watched last night '10 Cloverfield Lane' I thought it was a great addition to the original 'Cloverfield' a side
              step rather than a true sequel, showing one event happening elsewhere in the same time period with a good ending that sets up for the sequel to both
              films. The film for the most just relies on the acting skills of the cast members while in the bunker and really is a credit to the maker although there
              is one obvious continuity error watch it and see if you an spot it in the last third of the film even with that error still watchable IMHO...

I would suggest those who have not seen the original 'Cloverfield' film do so first as this will make more sense of the above film.....

Starring:-John Goodman,Mary Elizabeth Winstead,John Gallagher, Jr.,Bradley Cooper and Suzanne Cryer.

The film follows a young woman who, after a car crash, wakes up in an underground bunker with two men who insist that an event has left the surface of Earth uninhabitable.

Geoff.
              Last edited by 1batfastard; 6th April 2017, 17:58.

Comment

• DazDaMan
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Aug 2003

I was having a crap day, so I stuck on a favourite:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Malta Story.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	3673560
                Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• 1batfastard
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Jan 2013

Hi All,
                  Watched via (Sky Cinema)the excellent biopic 'I Saw The Light' about the rise and fall of one of if not the biggest country singers ever Hank Williams I
                  thoroughly enjoyed the film, I recommend it to all music fans....

Starring:-Tom Hiddleston,Elizabeth Olsen,Cherry Jones,Bradley Whitford,Maddie Hasson,Wrenn Schmidt,David Krumholtz,Josh Pais,James DuMont,
                  Casey Bond,Michael Rinne,Joshua Brady,Wes Langlois,Von Lewis,Fred Parker Jr. and Rob Boltin.

Singer and songwriter Hank Williams (Tom Hiddleston) rises to fame in the 1940s, but alcohol abuse and infidelity take a toll on his career and marriage
                  to fellow musician Audrey Mae Williams (Elizabeth Olsen).

Geoff.

Comment

• wl745
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Aug 2007

(Thailand)by mistake my wife bought two tickets to a movie called"Fallen".dont bother to see it!

Comment

• RpR
                      RpR
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Jan 2013

Not your standard fare but I recently bought a box of fifteen VHS documentary movies on the late great Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe railroad.
                      Even though it did not run in my railroad heavy area, the Red and Silver Warbonnet livery was always my favorite from way back when I sat on Grandpa's lap drawing steam locomotives.

Some are like any documentary with heavy narrated information.
                      Some, and these are well over an hour long, have little narration while showing a particular train, whose ID number and type of locomotives they gave, roll by.
                      The train sounds are dubbed in as welded rail does not have the clickety-clickety-clickety... sounds the trains make on the tape.
                      I have ridden few trains long distance in my life but found that when I did, the above clickety and the rocking of the train put me to sleep quickly.
                      Shizzam, listening to some of the tapes does the same thing.
                      Although part of it is, one fellow who is a commentator on some of the films has a smooth calming voice.

I much prefer VHS over DVD and as they are comparatively cheap through Evil Bay, now I am going to get more.
                      An evening of railroad movies, is a fantastic way to relax.

Comment

• DazDaMan
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Aug 2003

Memphis Belle

As I'm going to be building a Hispano HA.1112M-1L Buchon as part of a model group build, I thought I would watch this one again. A favourite from my high school years.

Although I've now added a 1/72 B-17 to my shopping list....!
                        Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• 1batfastard
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Jan 2013

Hi All,
                          Watched the classic 70's film 'Puppet On A Chain' last night via BBCi (Available till 1/4). A bit dated by todays action films with the rather wooden acting let alone fight scenes a bit like: Take that BIFF!/BOP!/THUD! etc.etc. The best part of the film is the boat chase a full eight minutes or more around the Amsterdam canal system....

Starring:-Sven-Bertil Taube,Barbara Parkins,Alexander Knox,Patrick Allen,Vladek Sheybal,Ania Marson,Stewart F. Lane,Drewe Henley,Michael Mellinger,
                          Penny Casdagli,Peter Hutchins,Henni Orri and Mark Malicz as Morgenstern.

American DEA officer Paul Sherman (Sven-Bertil Taube) is looking into a group of drug dealers in Amsterdam. As Paul uncovers information about the drug ring with his partner, Maggie (Barbara Parkins), the two are led to a compound on an island that looks to be ground zero for the operation. Trying to gain access to this fortress, though, proves difficult as the American officers find the drug runners may be linked with an occult religious sect that runs the place.

Geoff.

Read more: http://statusquo.boards.net/thread/3...#ixzz4cYB7Ritf

Comment

• DazDaMan
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Aug 2003

Watched over the weekend....

Fury

The Great Escape

Jaws 3
                            Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• DazDaMan
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Aug 2003

Managed to get the girlfriend to watch Memphis Belle at the weekend, as she'd never seen it. She quite enjoyed it!

The last film I actually watched was Eagles Over London, the Italian "macaroni combat" film centred around the Battle of Britain, featuring Hispano Buchons in RAF colours. Strange film!
                              Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• 1batfastard
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Jan 2013

Hi All,
                                Watched the low budget comedy via (Sky Cinema) the quite funny 'Moonwalkers' I enjoyed this film that pokes fun at the conspiracy surrounding the
                                'Apollo 11 Moon Landings ' along with all the late 60's clichs of the time.... I think it had other film references (i.e. Man painted Blue wearing a
                                tartan skirt ?) in it as well poking fun at them but was probably just me and my warped sense of humour. Ron Pearlman as the psychotic CIA agent is
                                a cracker of a roll for him and he carries it off well, especially the scene where he tells the junkie Kuberic impersonator that drugs have no effect on
                                him and what follows is quite funny IMHO.

Starring:-Ron Perlman,Rupert Grint,Robert Sheehan,Eric Lampaert,Tom Audenaert,Kerry Shale,John Flanders,Andrew Blumenthal,Jay Benedict
                                Kevin Bishop,James Cosmo,Stephen Campbell Moore and Erika Sainte.

What if Apollo 11 never actually made it? What if, in reality, Stanley Kubrick secretly shot the famous images of the moon landing in a studio, working
                                for the US administration? This is the premise of a totally plausible conspiracy theory that takes us to swinging sixties London, where a stubborn CIA
                                agent will never find Kubrick but instead is forced to team up with a lousy manager of a seedy rock band to develop the biggest con of all time, in this
                                riotous, high-tempo action-comedy.
                                (Above by Reece Davies and courtesy of :-http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2718440/

Geoff.

Comment

• 1batfastard
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • Jan 2013

Hi All,
                                  Watched the rather good 'Cpt'n America Civil War' via (Sky Cinema) despite being 'SFX' laden as most of the genre are, you can really get in to the
                                  characters all through the film and a must for any 'Marvel/Sci-Fi/Fantasy' fan I really enjoyed this film and while being just under 2&1/2Hrs long the
                                  film actually passes quite quickly with the viewer.....

Starring:-Chris Evans,Robert Downey Jr.,Scarlett Johansson,Sebastian Stan,Anthony Mackie,Don Cheadle,Jeremy Renner,Chadwick Boseman,Paul Bettany
                                  Elizabeth Olsen,Paul Rudd,Emily VanCamp,Tom Holland,Frank Grillo,William Hurt and Daniel Brhl.

Political pressure mounts to install a system of accountability when the actions of the Avengers lead to collateral damage. The new status quo deeply
                                  divides members of the team. Captain America (Chris Evans) believes superheroes should remain free to defend humanity without government
                                  interference. Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.) sharply disagrees and supports oversight. As the debate escalates into an all-out feud,
                                  Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) and, Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) must pick a side.

Geoff.
                                  Last edited by 1batfastard; 6th April 2017, 17:57.

Comment

• 1batfastard
                                    Rank 5 Registered User
                                    • Jan 2013

Hi All,
                                    I watched the low budget 'Frankenstein (2015)' via (Sky Cinema) An alternative viewpoint of the 'Mary Shelly' classic tale seen through the monsters
                                    eyes and narration, has a couple of gory scenes but overall just different and only watch if you are a Horror fan even then it may be to slow I enjoyed
                                    it for what it was.....

Starring:-Xavier Samuel,Carrie-Anne Moss,Danny Huston,Tony Todd,Maya Erskine,Mckenna Grace,Matthew Jacobs,Jeff Hilliard,Jorge Luis Pallo
                                    Ron Rogg,Rob Mars,Mary Gallagher and John Lacy as Mark Rubin.

Frankenstein is a 2015 updated adaptation of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, directed by Bernard Rose. The film is told from the monster's point of view
                                    as he is created, escapes into the modern world and learns about the dark side of humanity.

Geoff.

Comment

• DazDaMan
                                      Rank 5 Registered User
                                      • Aug 2003

The Shallows

Blake Lively goes out surfing on a secluded beach in Mexico, only to find herself in (not very) deep water when she crosses paths with a hungry great white shark.

Pretty decent for a modern shark movie, although the CGI great white is a bit iffy in parts.
                                      Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• 1batfastard
                                        Rank 5 Registered User
                                        • Jan 2013

Hi All,
                                        I watched the 'The Revenant' last night via (Sky News) and although an excellent enjoyable view, one odd thing stands out a mile or at least it does IMO
                                        and, that is the very quick recovery of a the main characters broken ankle after the bear attack and subsequent rescue Still on the whole a
                                        great view with a role for Tom Hardy as a complete ****, plus he had another of the Peaky Blinders actors helping him and the cast along....

Starring:-Leonardo DiCaprio,Tom Hardy,Domhnall Gleeson,Will Poulter,Forrest Goodluck,Duane Howard,Arthur Redcloud,Melaw Nakehk'o,Grace Dove,
                                        Lukas Haas,Paul Anderson,Kristoffer Joner,Joshua Burge,Fabrice Adde,Isaiah Tootoosis,Brendan Fletcher,Brad Carter and Tyson Wood.

While exploring the uncharted wilderness in 1823, frontiersman Hugh Glass (Leonardo DiCaprio) sustains life-threatening injuries from a brutal bear
                                        attack. When a member (Tom Hardy) of his hunting team kills his young son (Forrest Goodluck) and leaves him for dead, Glass must utilize his
                                        survival skills to find a way back to civilization. Grief-stricken and fueled by vengeance, the legendary fur trapper treks through the snowy terrain to
                                        track down the man who betrayed him.

Geoff.
                                        Last edited by 1batfastard; 14th April 2017, 16:29.

Comment

• 1batfastard
                                          Rank 5 Registered User
                                          • Jan 2013

Hi All,
                                          Watched the rather good low budget horror/thriller 'Don't Breath' last night via (Sky Cinema) a good story with a twist that you don't expect and well worth a viewing IMHO...

Starring:-Jane Levy,Stephen Lang,Dylan Minnette,Daniel Zovatto,Franciska Trőcsik,Emma Bercovici,Christian Zagia,Katia Bokor,
                                          and, Sergej Onopko.

Rocky (Jane Levy), Alex and Money are three Detroit thieves who get their kicks by breaking into the houses of wealthy people. Money gets word about a blind veteran who won a major cash settlement following the death of his only child. Figuring he's an easy target, the trio invades the man's secluded home in an abandoned neighbourhood. Finding themselves trapped inside, the young intruders must fight for their lives after making a shocking discovery about their supposedly helpless victim.

Geoff.
                                          Last edited by 1batfastard; 14th April 2017, 16:30.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X