Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Last Film You Watched..... IV

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hampden98
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Sep 2009

Rogue One
    If you are a Star Wars fan go see this film. If you are not don't bother.
    Starts slowly, builds to a predictable battle scene and brilliant ending.
    Most things make no sense and characters are wooden, but the cameo's, battles and ending are all worth it.
    Brilliant film for Star Wars fans. Dull nonsense for the rest.
    I loved it.

Comment

• 1batfastard
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Jan 2013

Hi All,
      hampden98,
      I thought the film was based on the immediate timeline leading up to the beginning of episode IV.

I watched (Via BBCi Available till 22/01/17) The excellent Comedy/Drama - 'The Lady In The Van' the true story of the relationship between playwright Alan Bennett and a woman who ended up living on his London home driveway Miss Shepherd, highly recommended..

Starring:-Maggie Smith,Alex Jennings,Clare Hammond,Roger Allam,Deborah Findlay,jim Broadbent,Claire Foy,Cecilia Noble,Gwen Taylor,Frances de la Tour
      Nicholas Burns and Pandora Colin.

The Lady in the Van tells the true story of Alan Bennett's strained friendship with Miss Mary Shepherd, an eccentric homeless woman whom Bennett befriended in the 1970s before allowing her temporarily to park her Bedford van in the driveway of his Camden home. She stayed there for 15 years. As the story develops Bennett learns that Miss Shepherd is really Margaret Fairchild, a former gifted pupil of the pianist Alfred Cortot. She had played Chopin in a promenade concert, tried to become a nun, was committed to an institution by her brother, escaped, had an accident when her van was hit by a motorcyclist for which she believed herself to blame, and thereafter lived in fear of arrest.

Geoff.

Comment

• hampden98
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Sep 2009

Theirs is the glory. War film using theatrical as well as historical footage to tell the battle of Arnhem.
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theirs_Is_the_Glory
        Was quite surprised to see a real Panther Tank featured in one of the scenes, and what looks like a C46 on fire?

Comment

• Larry66
          Hangar bout lad!
          • Oct 2005

Harrying Potter and the Deathly Hollows part 2. Went thru all the films with my daughter of the Xmas period.
          What I know about planes you could write on the back of a beer mat, but I'm looking for bigger beer mats!
          My photos
          http://stumm47.deviantart.com/

Comment

• DazDaMan
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Aug 2003

Titanic

James Cameron's taking on the 1912 sinking. Still pretty decent. Stopped the film before that bloody song came on, though!
            Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• 1batfastard
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Jan 2013

Hi All,
              DazDaMan,
              Did you see the documentary Titanic New Evidence finally reveals the truth behind the sinking absolute disgrace what happened...

Last Friday 'Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull watchable but not quite as good as the previous films, still I did enjoy it....

New years eve I watched the excellent drama biopic The Danish Girl definitely not to everyone's taste because of the subject matter, none the less a well acted and thought out film based on the life of transgender pioneer Lilly Elbe..... 8-)

Starring:-Eddie Redmayne,Alicia Vikander,Matthias Schoenaerts,Ben Whishaw,Amber Heard,Sebastian Koch,Pip Torrens,Nicholas Woodeson,Emerald Fennell,
              Adrian Schiller and Henry Pettigrew.

The story of real-life Danish painter Einar Wegener who, in 1931, became the first man to undergo a sex-change operation. His wife Greta, also a painter, first discovers her husband's affinity for feminine attire when he sits in for one of her models. Ultimately, she encourages him on his transsexual journey.

Geoff.

on the Saturday watched the exc

Comment

• DazDaMan
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Aug 2003

The Eternal Zero

A young Japanese man becomes determined to uncover the truth about his grandfather, a fighter pilot deemed a coward by many of his peers.

Contrary to many modern aviation films, this one is actually very realistic and, being a non-Hollywood affair, does not resort to being about the explosions and dogfights. The combat sequences are well done, although obviously CGI given the few airworthy A6M Zeros in the world.

Well worth a watch.
                Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• 1batfastard
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Jan 2013

Hi All,
                  Last night I watched the awful 'Krampus' supposed to be a Comedy/Horror based around the actual myth https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krampus Don't bother is my recommendation, what had the making of a good film was wasted totally in this dreary dragging film.....

Starring:-Adam Scott,Toni Collette,Emjay Anthony,David Koechner,Allison Tolman,Conchata Ferrell,Stefania LaVie Owen,Krista Stadler,Lolo Owen,
                  Queenie Samuel,Maverick Flack,Mark Atkin,Sage Hunefeld,Leith Towers,Curtis Vowell,Luke Hawker and Brett Beattie.

Krampus is a 2015 American Christmas comedy horror film based upon the eponymous character from Germanic folklore, directed by Michael Dougherty and written by Dougherty, Todd Casey, and Zach Shields.

Geoff.

Comment

• TonyT
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Oct 2006

Geoff, Watch Warsaw 44 on Sky movies, and excellent foreign film about the uprising against the Germans.... lots of gore BTW.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3765326/

Comment

• DazDaMan
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Aug 2003

The Wind Rises

Studio Ghibli's gorgeous anime telling the semi-fictional life story of Jiro Horikoshi, the man who would eventually design the Mitsubishi A6M Zero.
                      Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• ~Alan~
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Mar 2010

Angels one five on bbc2 @ 8:25 this morning.
                        Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Comment

• DazDaMan
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Aug 2003

If I didn't have to sleep after a nightshift, I would watch it!

However, I have it on DVD, so it's all good!
                          Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• Larry66
                            Hangar bout lad!
                            • Oct 2005

Independence Day followed by the new sequel. Opening for a third perhaps?
                            What I know about planes you could write on the back of a beer mat, but I'm looking for bigger beer mats!
                            My photos
                            http://stumm47.deviantart.com/

Comment

• 1batfastard
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Jan 2013

Hi All,
                              TonYT
                              Thanks for the recommendation will give that a viewing soon.....

Last Saturday evening I watched the original 1971 Dads Army I watched the original Dads Army movie (Via Christmas Gold) a better film than the modern remake despite the changes imposed by Columbia pictures (See -en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dad's_Army_(1971_film)). I will be honest the comedy doesn't quite transfer to film from the series, I suspect this simply to be because the film had to stretch the comedy over the length of the film rather than the quick fire jokes of the series, on the whole though a good nostalgic comedy with the majority of favourites from the series...

Starring:-Arthur Lowe,John Le Mesurier,Clive Dunn,John Laurie,James Beck,Arnold Ridley,Ian Lavender,Liz Fraser,Bernard Archard Derek Newark,Bill Pertwee,
                              Frank Williams,Edward Sinclair,Anthony Sagar,Pat Coombs,Roger Maxwell,Paul Dawkins,Sam Kydd,Michael Knowles and Fred Griffiths.

British villagers (Arthur Lowe, John Le Mesurier, Clive Dunn) rally in their own confusion, ready to repel a World War II invasion.

Last night I watched (Via Sky Cinema) the excellent Sci-Fi/Drama-Midnight Special, just a well acted and thought out film that has CGI where appropriate but not to much tending to rely on the acting and storyline I enjoyed it and if your into that genre you should also....

Starring;- Michael Shannon,Joel Edgerton,Kirsten Dunst,Adam Driver,Jaeden Lieberher,Sam Shepard,Paul Sparks,Nathan Brimmer,Bill Camp,Scott Haze,
                              James DuMont,Billy Slaughter and Sean Bridgers.

The story revolves around Roy Tomlin and his biological son, Alton Meyer, escaping from both the government and a cult, after discovering that Alton has special powers.

Geoff.

Comment

• 1batfastard
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Jan 2013

Hi All,
                                I watched the excellent Polish with English sub-titles 'Warsaw 44' via (Sky Cinema) as recommended by TonyT. Basically the film has the back
                                story of two young people in love but concentrates the last two thirds especially on the uprising with excellent action throughout. I enjoyed it thoroughly
                                even with a couple of shocks especially the execution of a minor apart from that a real good enjoyable WW2 genre film.....

Starring:-Jzef Pawłowski - Stefan Zawadzki,Zofia Wichłacz - Biedronka (Alicja Saska),Anna Prchniak (pl) - Kama (Kamila Jedrusik),
                                Antoni Krlikowski (pl) - Beksa,Maurycy Popiel (pl) - Gral,Filip Gurłacz - Roga and Tomasz Schuchardt - Kobra.

In the summer of 1944, the Red Army advances from the east in the direction of Warsaw. For that reason, the Home Army launches a revolt against the
                                German occupying force. The underground fighter Stefan joins the armed uprising. He loves nurse Ala, but at the same time he has feelings for a
                                underground fighter named Kama. When the uprising is crushed, with heavy casualties and whole city destroyed.

Geoff.

Comment

• 1batfastard
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • Jan 2013

Hi All,
                                  I watched via (Sky Cinema) 'The Man From Uncle' a very underrated film IMHO, I thought and has it's really funny moments along with some good action.
                                  The two main characters Napoleon and Ilya compliment each other well both very funny at times reacting to each others actions, just a good old fashioned enjoyable Action/Adventure escapism film which I enjoyed thoroughly.....

Starring:-Henry Cavill,Armie Hammer,Alicia Vikander,Elizabeth Debicki,Jared Harris,Hugh Grant,Luca Calvani,Sylvester Groth,David Menkin,
                                  Simona Caparrini,Misha Kuznetsov,Christian Berkel and who do we have here David Beckham

At the height of the Cold War, a mysterious criminal organization plans to use nuclear weapons and technology to upset the fragile balance of power between the United States and Soviet Union. CIA agent Napoleon Solo (Henry Cavill) and KGB agent Illya Kuryakin (Armie Hammer) are forced to put aside their hostilities and work together to stop the evildoers in their tracks. The duo's only lead is the daughter of a missing German scientist, whom they must find soon to prevent a global catastrophe.

Geoff.

Comment

• 1batfastard
                                    Rank 5 Registered User
                                    • Jan 2013

Hi All,
                                    I watched the low budget British Sci-Fi film 'Kill Command' via (Sky Cinema). A fast paced action film the first 45mins fly past I personally found, then a breather then it's off again. I really enjoyed the film and anybody who is into Sci-Fi should like this film, it's similar to 'Southern Comfort' military training goes wrong but with AI Robots and set in the near future......

Starring:-Thure Lindhardt,Vanessa Kirby,David Ajala,Bentley Kalu,Tom McKay,Mike Noble,Kelly Gough and Osi Okerafor.

Set in a near future, technology-reliant society is creating killing machines. Against this backdrop an elite army unit is helicoptered in to a remote, off-the-grid island training facility, to test the capabilities of the latest prototypes. They set up positions and make short work of the AI targets in the killing field. However, overnight their sentry goes missing, and when they find the corpse the next day they find themselves in the killing field and the tables have turned. The marines fight to survive on an island is overrun by an enemy intelligence far beyond their predecessors, which learns from their every move.

Geoff.

Comment

• ~Alan~
                                      Rank 5 Registered User
                                      • Mar 2010

Saturday Morning 9:35 on Talking pictures TV......The Sound Barrier
                                      Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Comment

• DazDaMan
                                        Rank 5 Registered User
                                        • Aug 2003

Zero Pilot

Japanese WW2 film based on the life of Saburo Sakai, made by the same studios that made the Godzilla movies.

Pretty good film, and when you consider they had no actual flyable aircraft for the film, it's rather well done. The model effects are rather decent, although quite obvious in some shots, and it's great to see Wildcats and Zeros knocking lumps out of each other in combat.

Worth a look if you want to see war from "the other side".
                                        Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• 1batfastard
                                          Rank 5 Registered User
                                          • Jan 2013

Hi All,
                                          Last night I watched 'The Ring' (via BBCi) a Psychological/Horror not bad a bit dated I suppose by todays standards none the less watchable although be warned nothing much happens the first half pick's up about 47mins in..........

Starring:-Naomi Watts,Martin Henderson,David Dorfman,Brian Cox,Jane Alexander,Lindsay Frost.Amber Tamblyn,Rachael Bella,Daveigh Chase
                                          Shannon Cochran,Richard Lineback,Pauley Perrette,Sara Rue,Sasha Barrese and Adam Brody.

Rachel Keller is a journalist investigating a videotape that may have killed four teenagers (including her niece). There is an urban legend about this tape: the viewer will die seven days after watching it. If the legend is correct, Rachel will have to run against time to save her son's and her own life.
                                          (Courtesy of http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0298130/ )

Geoff.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X