Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Last Film You Watched..... IV

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1batfastard
    Rank 5 Registered User

Hi All,
    I watched the Ukrainian/Russian biopic 'Battle For Savastopol' via (Sky Cinema) about female sniper Lyudmila Pavlichenko. Although for the main it is in subtitles it does have English where it counts as the story is told via 'Mrs Roosevelt' point of view. I enjoyed the film and while CGI is present and fails at times the battle scenes are effective only let down is the aircraft sounds as usual they do not sound very realist more like pit special milling around instead of the throaty rasp of the tiny Policarpov I-16 shvetsov engine ? and the whistling DB engine of the BF109-E's this I only mention as you would have thought that because both types of aircraft have airworthy examples surely the film producers would want authenticity ? but otherwise I enjoyed the film..... Starring:- Yulia Peresild,oan Blackham,Yevgeny Tsyganov and Vitaliy Linetskiy plus other unnamed cast members.

After the German invasion of the USSR, university student Lyudmila Pavlichenko becomes a sniper in the 25th Rifle Division. She fights in the Battle of Odessa and, eventually, the defense of Sevastopol. After 309 confirmed kills, she is sent to the United States to campaign for American support, and meets Eleanor Roosevelt (Joan Blackham). The filmmakers have characterized the project as a psychological story about the issues facing women in combat. The film also has a prominent romance subplot.

Geoff.

Comment

• DazDaMan
      Rank 5 Registered User

Interesting that they show '109s dropping bombs. Don't think I've ever seen that in a film before!
      Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• 1batfastard
        Rank 5 Registered User

Hi All,
        To tell the truth I never noticed I was just pjssed off about the sound effects of the aircraft but I did enjoy the CGI air battle scenes just the same, above all although the film for the main is in subtitles I enjoyed watching it a very good Biopic/Drama better than this supposed to be Horror that I watched last night not one of my better choices for viewing abysmal...

Right then last night I sat through film 4's Horror called The Babadook and I wouldn't recommend it as it was a HORROR!!! This low budget film was an absolute flat boring story with the Babadook only making a slight appearance in the last1/3 of the film a few times. Even when the Babadook is shown it's more of blink and you'll miss it appearance. The film looked like it had some promise at the beginning by setting up the appearance of the Babadook but that took most of the film and way to long IMPO, the kid by half through way I just want to strangle him and get it over with very annoying to me. But hey that's just my view as always you decide but as Horror's go very tame and doesn't deliver IMHO.....

Starring:- Essie Davis,Noah Wiseman,Daniel Henshall,Hayley McElhinney,Barbara West,Benjamin Winspear,Cathy Adamek,Craig Behenna,Adam Morgan,
        Peta Shannon,Hachi and Tim Purcell.

Amelia, who lost her husband in a car crash on the way to give birth to Samuel, their only child, struggles to cope with her fate as a single mom. Samuel's constant fear of monsters and violent reaction to overcome the fear doesn't help her cause either, which makes her friends become distant. When things can not get any worse, they read a strange book in their house about the 'Babadook' monster that hides in the dark areas of their house. Even Amelia seems to feel the effect of Babadook and desperately tries in vain to destroy the book. The nightmarish experiences the two encounter form the rest of the story. Written by PipingHotViews
        (Courtesy of http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2321549/)

Geoff.

Comment

• DazDaMan
          Rank 5 Registered User

The Flying Leathernecks

A good ol' fashioned war flick starring John Wayne as a strict Marine Corps fighter pilot flying low level ops in the Pacific. Flying sequences are quite good, and lots of footage of Hellcats and Corsairs in action against T-6-Zeros.
          Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• Creaking Door
            Rank 5 Registered User

'The Duelists'

DAMN! I'd forgotten how good that film is!

Harvey Keitel and Keith Carradine at their very best, and to think that Ridley Scott had to virtually pay for this film himself so that he'd finally get to direct something other than TV advertisements!

I finally signed-up to NETFLIX the other day.....I have to say, not very impressed so far!
            WA$.

Comment

• 1batfastard
              Rank 5 Registered User

Hi All,
              I watched the low budget short Sci-Fi film 'Love' via (BBCi), another good film with just one main character marooned on the ISS who goes through the emotions of thinking it's a blip, to the realisation he is marooned and they forget about him despite his trying to contact them. Then slowly drifting into madness with a good twist towards the end that takes you back to the opening scenes I enjoyed it for what it was just a good acted and well told story from the astronauts point of view.... This is worth reading:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_(2011_film)

Starring:- Gunner Wright,Corey Richardson,Bradley Horne,Nancy Stelle,Roger E. Fanter (The Storyteller),Jesse Hotchkiss,Troy Mittleider,Brid Caveney
              Ambyr Childers,B. Anthony Cohen,James C. Burns,Lee Bettencourt,Mark Eaton,Brian Vanik and Dan Figur Dan Figur.

After losing contact with Earth, Astronaut Lee Miller becomes stranded in orbit alone aboard the International Space Station. As time passes and life support systems dwindle, Lee battles to maintain his sanity - and simply stay alive. His world is a claustrophobic and lonely existence, until he makes a strange discovery aboard the ship. Written by William Eubank (Courtesy of :- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1541874/ )

Geoff.

Comment

• 27vet
                Rank 5 Registered User

Thanks for sharing, I will watch it when I have time!
                sigpicHindsight is what you see from the tailgunner's position...

Comment

• 1batfastard
                  Rank 5 Registered User

Hi All,
                  Last night I watched the awful remake of Dad's Army via (Sky Cinema) sad to say that many of the jokes that made the original series a hit never really transferred to the big screen with this cast of fairly well known actors. There where a couple of laughs but aside from that I found it dragging to say the least also with a little pc thrown in it ruined the film IMO, but like always you watch you make your own mind up......

The only reason I suspect I found the film unfunny for the most would more than likely be the original series is so firmly imprinted in my conscious that like the current crop of BBC comedy series remakes that are scheduled they will be ruined by not sticking to the original format and the new producers wanting to put their own tamp on it, overall if your a fan of the original I don't think you'll really like the new take sadly.

Starring:- Toby Jones,Bill Nighy,Catherine Zeta-Jones,Tom Courtenay,Blake Harrison,Michael Gambon,Bill Paterson,Daniel Mays,Sarah Lancashire,Mark Gatiss
                  Mark Tandy,Andrew Havill,Emily Atack,Alison Steadman,Holli Dempsey,Annette Crosbie,Ian Lavender,Frank Williams,Felicity Montagu,Martin Savage,Oliver Tobias,Julia Foster and Jacqueline Tong.

Near the end of World War II, the Walmington-on-Sea Home Guard platoon deals with a female journalist and a German spy.

Geoff.

Comment

• 1batfastard
                    Rank 5 Registered User

Hi All,
                    I watched the Michael Caine classic 'Ipcress File' last night (Via BBCi available until 22:45 14/12) a bit dated but still an good old fashioned British spy thriller enjoyable all these years later........

Tasked with investigating the kidnappings and brainwashed reappearances of top scientists, including Dr. Radcliffe (Aubrey Richards), the insubordinate British spy Harry Palmer (Michael Caine) navigates his way through criminals, secret agents, and his superiors (Nigel Green, Guy Doleman). While attempting to bring in the suspect Bluejay (Frank Gatliff), Palmer discovers a mysterious audiotape labeled "IPCRESS," an inconspicuous, but ominous, piece of evidence.

Starring:- Michael Caine,Guy Doleman,Nigel Green,Sue Lloyd,Gordon Jackson,Aubrey Richards,Frank Gatliff,Thomas Baptiste,Oliver MacGreevy,Freda Bamford,
                    Pauline Winter,Anthony Blackshaw,Barry Raymond,David Glover,Stanley Meadows,Peter Ashmore,Michael Murray,Anthony Baird,Tony Caunter,
                    Douglas Blackwell and Glynn Edwards.

Geoff.

Comment

• 1batfastard
                      Rank 5 Registered User

Hi All,
                      I watched the rather dated by todays film standards Underwater (Via BBCi available until 23/12) Just an enjoyable romp from 1955 but not for everybody's viewing, it is what it is....

Starring:-Jane Russell,Richard Egan,Gilbert Roland,Lori Nelson,Robert Keith,Joseph Calleia,Eugene Iglesias and Ric Roman.

Along with his partner, Dominic (Gilbert Roland), and his lovely wife, Theresa (Jane Russell), intrepid treasure hunter Johnny Gray (Richard Egan) embarks on a quest for sunken treasure in the Caribbean. Outfitted with advanced scuba gear, the team struggles to pinpoint the location of the rumored shipwreck of a centuries-old galleon loaded down with priceless antiques. When a group of money-hungry pirates takes a sudden interest in their expedition, the Grays find themselves in deep trouble.

Geoff.

Comment

• DazDaMan
                        Rank 5 Registered User

Interesting - that appeared to be a blue shark in that trailer.

Since the backdrop of the film is clearly a tank, it must have been a captive example they used. Blues aren't great at staying alive in captivity for long - would have made more sense to use sand tigers or something. Much more hardy, and a lot more bad-ass looking!
                        Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• 1batfastard
                          Rank 5 Registered User

Hi All,
                          DazDaMan,
                          Yes funny thing you mentioning the sharks while they were apparently on the way to discover the wreck I could have sworn it was being held back by some means as it was struggling when swimming at first then seemed to shoot forward......

Last night I watched American Sniper (Via Sky Cinema) although a bit of a controversial film none the less I enjoyed the biopic, only one complaint is the use of CGI blood personally I can't stand it other than that an excellent film......

Starring:-Bradley Cooper,Sienna Miller,Luke Grimes,Jake McDorman,Cory Hardrict,Kevin Lacz,Navid Negahban,Keir O'Donnell,Kyle Gallner,Sam Jaeger,
                          Sammy Sheik,Mido Hamada,Eric Close,Eric Ladin,Brian Hallisay,Marnette Patterson,Leonard Roberts and Max Charles.

U.S. Navy SEAL Chris Kyle (Bradley Cooper) takes his sole mission -- protect his comrades -- to heart and becomes one of the most lethal snipers in American history. His pinpoint accuracy not only saves countless lives but also makes him a prime target of insurgents. Despite grave danger and his struggle to be a good husband and father to his family back in the States, Kyle serves four tours of duty in Iraq. However, when he finally returns home, he finds that he cannot leave the war behind.

Geoff.

Comment

• 1batfastard
                            Rank 5 Registered User

Hi All,
                            Watched the excellent and quite funny Sci-Fi Antman (Via Sky Cinema) If you like the genre you'll like this film a good bit of escapism from the world and keep watching the end credits some hints of what is to follow in Avengers civil war......

Starring:-Paul Rudd,Evangeline Lilly,Michael Douglas,Corey Stoll,Bobby Cannavale,Michael Pea,Tip "T.I." Harris,Anthony Mackie,Wood Harris,
                            Judy Greer and David Dastmalchian.

Forced out of his own company by former protg Darren Cross, Dr. Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) recruits the talents of Scott Lang (Paul Rudd), a master thief just released from prison. Lang becomes Ant-Man, trained by Pym and armed with a suit that allows him to shrink in size, possess superhuman strength and control an army of ants. The miniature hero must use his new skills to prevent Cross, also known as Yellowjacket, from perfecting the same technology and using it as a weapon for evil.

Geoff.
                            Last edited by 1batfastard; 19th December 2016, 20:36.

Comment

• 1batfastard
                              Rank 5 Registered User

Hi All,
                              Watched the excellent biopic of the Benghazi diplomatic compound incident '13 Hours' (Via Sky Cinema)Well acted, well thought out and made film.....

Starring:-James Badge Dale,John Krasinski,Max Martini,Dominic Fumusa,Pablo Schreiber,David Denman,Matt Letscher,Toby Stephens,
                              Alexia Barlier,Freddie Stroma,David Costabile,Peyman Moaadi,David Giuntoli,Demetrius Grosse,Christopher Dingli,Shane Rowe and Gbor Bodis.

On Sept. 11, 2012, Islamic militants attack the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, killing Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and Sean Smith, an officer for the Foreign Service. Stationed less than one mile away are members (James Badge Dale, John Krasinski, Max Martini) of the Annex Security Team, former soldiers assigned to protect operatives and diplomats in the city. As the assault rages on, the six men engage the combatants in a fierce firefight to save the lives of the remaining Americans.

Geoff.
                              Last edited by 1batfastard; 19th December 2016, 20:36.

Comment

• 1batfastard
                                Rank 5 Registered User

Hi All,
                                Watched the excellent Sci-Fi The Martian (Via Sky Cinema) another good funny in places well acted film with a good storyline, if you like Sci-Fi you should like this...

Starring:-Matt Damon as Mark Watney,Jessica Chastain,Kristen Wiig,Jeff Daniels,Sean Bean,Michael Pea,Kate Mara,Sebastian Stan,Aksel Hennie
                                Chiwetel Ejiofor,Mackenzie Davis,Donald Glover,Benedict Wong,Eddy Ko,Chen Shu,Naomi Scott and Nick Mohammed.

When astronauts blast off from the planet Mars, they leave behind Mark Watney (Matt Damon), presumed dead after a fierce storm. With only a meager amount of supplies, the stranded visitor must utilize his wits and spirit to find a way to survive on the hostile planet. Meanwhile, back on Earth, members of NASA and a team of international scientists work tirelessly to bring him home, while his crew mates hatch their own plan for a daring rescue mission.

Geoff.

Comment

• Larry66
                                  Hangar bout lad!

Star Wars:Rogue One. Got treated to a showing at the cinema on my birthday!
                                  What I know about planes you could write on the back of a beer mat, but I'm looking for bigger beer mats!
                                  My photos
                                  http://stumm47.deviantart.com/

Comment

• 1batfastard
                                    Rank 5 Registered User

Hi All.
                                    A belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY Larry... I hope you had a great day and enjoyed Rogue One you lucky person...

I watched (Via Sky Cinema) another excellent biopic last night called 'Collateral' a good lesson how big business will always put money ahead of people and their health in this case the NFL ahead of their players. Choosing to victimize one doctor and ignoring the facts when confronted with them, a well recommended film even if you don't like American football or sports in general, just a well thought out and acted movie.... Really typical of how corrupt the system is world wide putting money first instead of people an absolutely disgusting practise no matter what line of business......

Starring:-Will Smith,Alec Baldwin,Albert Brooks,Gugu Mbatha-Raw,David Morse,Arliss Howard,Mike O'Malley,Eddie Marsan,Hill Harper,
                                    Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje,Stephen Moyer,Richard T. Jones,Paul Reiser,Luke Wilson,Sara Lindsey,Matthew Willig,Bitsie Tulloch,
                                    Eme Ikwuakor and Sam Neill.

While conducting an autopsy on former NFL football player Mike Webster (David Morse), forensic pathologist Dr. Bennet Omalu (Will Smith) discovers neurological deterioration that is similar to Alzheimer's disease. Omalu names the disorder chronic traumatic encephalopathy and publishes his findings in a medical journal. As other athletes face the same diagnosis, the crusading doctor embarks on a mission to raise public awareness about the dangers of football-related head trauma.

Geoff.

Comment

• 1batfastard
                                      Rank 5 Registered User

Hi All,
                                      I watched (Via Sky Cinema) quite decent film 'Heart Of The Sea', the film is based on the true story that inspired the book 'Moby Dick'. I will say that you have to get past the whaling side of things in the first third the rest of the film is then a quite enjoyable with a mainly British cast and a couple of peaky blinders are involved on the whole though I enjoyed it.....

Starring:-Chris Hemsworth,Benjamin Walker,Cillian Murphy,Tom Holland,Brendan Gleeson,Ben Whishaw,Michelle Fairley,Gary Beadle,Frank Dillane
                                      Edward Ashley,Charlotte Riley,Donald Sumpter,Brooke Dimmock,Jamie Sives,Joseph Mawle and Paul Anderson.

In the winter of 1820, the New England whaling ship Essex was assaulted by something no one could believe: a whale of mammoth size and will, and an almost human sense of vengeance. The real-life maritime disaster would inspire Herman Melville's Moby-Dick. But that told only half the story. This film reveals the encounter's harrowing aftermath, as the ship's surviving crew is pushed to their limits and forced to do the unthinkable to stay alive. Braving storms, starvation, panic and despair, the men will call into question their deepest beliefs, from the value of their lives to the morality of their trade, as their captain searches for direction on the open sea and his first mate still seeks to bring the great whale down.

Geoff.

Comment

• 1batfastard
                                        Rank 5 Registered User

Hi All,
                                        Watched the last 007 film 'Spectre' (Via Sky Cinema) I enjoyed this underrated Bond film, a great opening sequence one of the best for a while IMPO. Only one tiny snag with the film for me personally was the Aston I expected to see more of it. I will say I am surprised that Aston Martin never put the car into production as it looks lovely. Apart from that it's bond what else is there to say you either like the films or you don't as always down to personal choice......

Starring:-Daniel Craig,Christoph Waltz,La Seydoux,Ben Whishaw,Naomie Harris,Dave Bautista,Andrew Scott,Monica Bellucci,Ralph Fiennes,Gareth Mallory,
                                        Rory Kinnear,Jesper Christensen,Alessandro Cremona and Judi Dench.

A cryptic message from the past leads James Bond (Daniel Craig) to Mexico City and Rome, where he meets the beautiful widow (Monica Bellucci) of an infamous criminal. After infiltrating a secret meeting, 007 uncovers the existence of the sinister organization SPECTRE. Needing the help of the daughter of an old nemesis, he embarks on a mission to find her. As Bond ventures toward the heart of SPECTRE, he discovers a chilling connection between himself and the enemy (Christoph Waltz) he seeks.

Geoff.

Comment

• Mercurius
                                          Cantabrigiensis

The 1956 Cinemascope film 'Anastasia' starring Ingrid Bergman and Yul Brynner and directed by Anatole Litvak. Of course, thanks to DNA testing, we now know that none of the Romanovs survived the (amateurish) firing squad in 1917, and that Anna Anderson was not the Grand Duchess Anastasia Nikolaevna. But the movie is a fascinating depiction of an amnesiac struggling to learn her identity, and leaves me wondering if Anna Anderson actually believed that she was Tsar's youngest daughter.
                                          Mercurius Cantabrigiensis

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X