Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Last Film You Watched..... IV

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DazDaMan
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Aug 2003

The Terminator

James Cameron's brilliant time-travel sci-fi actioner.

To me, there simply are no other Terminator movies after T-2. I won't even contemplate watching them!
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• 1batfastard
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Jan 2013

Hi All,
      Daz - Quite agree with you matey although I have watched the others and accept them for what they are, the reboot could have been so much better IMHO especially as it had Arnie back on board, a wasted opportunity to get the ball rolling again. Some think that Mr Cameron is now just waiting for the rights to return to him before so he can do his reboot fingers crossed he'll be the man for the job....

Anyway I watched Sci-Fi/Drama 'Continuum' via (Sky Cinema) this good little film was released in 'Canada and the USA' as 'I'll Follow You Down' another low budget film with a good cast and good acting considering the story. No fancy effects as that happens at the end (last 30 mins) which I never saw coming at all but I did enjoy it as a watchable film as always up to the viewer to decide....

Starring:-Gillian Anderson,Haley Joel Osment,Rufus Sewell,Victor Garber,John Paul Ruttan,Kiara Glasco and Susanna Fournier.

Married couple Marika (Gillian Anderson, TV’s The Fall) and Gabriel (Rufus Sewell, The Holiday, A Knight’s Tale) spend their lives researching the most controversial and dark corners of physics. Until one day when everything changed… Catching a flight to deliver a lecture set to change the face of modern science, Gabriel mysteriously disappears, leaving Marika and their son Erol, (Academy Award-nominee Haley Joel Osment, The Sixth Sense) confused and alone with no clues or explanation. Years pass by, until a bizarre discovery throws Marika and Erol’s lives into a new dimension as a glimmer of hope that Gabriel is still alive reveals itself. But in order to try and bring him home, they must risk all they think they know about the universe to change the parameters of reality forever.
      (Above care of :- http://geeksyndicate.co.uk/reviews/f...iew-continuum/ )

Geoff.

Comment

• DazDaMan
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Aug 2003

Geoff

I think JC is more concerned with his blue aliens at the minute than Terminators, but we shall see!

Anyway, last night I watched Terminator 2. Still brilliant, though I prefer the theatrical cut to the extended version on the blu-ray disc.
        Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• 1batfastard
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Jan 2013

[QUOTE=DazDaMan;2347469]Geoff

I think JC is more concerned with his blue aliens at the minute than Terminators, but we shall see!

Anyway, last night I watched Terminator 2. Still brilliant, though I prefer the theatrical cut to the extended version on the blu

Daz,
          Those Blue Aliens are taking way to long to appear The sequel and the others that will follow in the Avatar world could have missed the boat as other franchises have become more prominent, that along with Star Wars their stand alone movie and franchise sequels being released every other year. I do wish him luck with them as I really enjoyed Avatar and am keen to see a sequel. If your interested here below are links to a site I always watch on YouTube very good for all things movie and tv related.

This their home page:- http://collider.com/

This page about james cameron:- http://collider.com/tag/james-cameron/

Geoff.

Comment

• DazDaMan
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Aug 2003

Will give them a look.
            Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• hampden98
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Sep 2009

I cannot stand `Sasha Baron Cohen` films, but I really enjoyed this one.
              Grimsby.
              https://www.theguardian.com/film/vid...hen-film-video
              Two brothers separated. One becomes a northern idiot. The other James Bond super hero.
              Absolute gem of a film.

Comment

• 1batfastard
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Jan 2013

Hi All,
                Monday the 17th I watched classic Hammer films Sci-Fi (X The Unknown) just a nostalgic viewing if you like classic Sci-Fi films, available on BBCi at the moment.. Starring:-Dean Jagger,Leo McKern,Edward Chapman,William Lucas,Peter Hammond,Anthony Newley,Ian MacNaughton,Michael Ripper Michael Brooke,Frazer Hines,Norman Macowan,John Harvey,Edwin Richfield,Jane Aird,Neil Hallett,Kenneth Cope,Jameson Clark,Marianne Brauns and Brown Derby.

During an army training maneuver on the Scottish moors, a fissure in the earth releases something from the depths below which results in the death of one soldier and severely burns another while registering high readings on a Geiger counter. Dr. Adam Royston (Dean Jagger), an American scientist whose field of study is atomic energy, is called in to investigate. What he discovers is a large mass of primordial ooze that feeds on radioactivity and is growing larger and larger from its frequent nightly raids on the surrounding countryside. Royston, in his attempts to stop and contain this deadly creature, finds himself caught up in a bureaucratic power struggle between John Eliott (Edward Chapman), the head of an atomic research center, and Mac McGill (Leo McKern), a representative from the United Kingdom Atomic Energy Commission. When the creature begins to grow in size and threaten more lives in its absorption of energy, Royston with assistance from the army, attempts to destabilize and destroy it in one last desperate ploy, which may or may not work.
                (Synopsis courtesy of http://www.tcm.com/this-month/articl...e-Unknown.html )

Last night I watched the biopic 'Steve Jobs' via 'Sky Cinema' turned out a lot better than I thought it was going to be, just a well acted and thought provoking 'Drama' film on the inside of his rise to fame and how he did it..... Starring:-Michael Fassbender,Kate Winslet,Seth Rogen,Jeff Daniels,Katherine Waterston,Michael Stuhlbarg,Makenzie Moss,Ripley Sobo,Perla Haney Jardine,Sarah Snook,Adam Shapiro and John Ortiz.

With public anticipation running high, Apple Inc. co-founders Steve Jobs (Michael Fassbender) and Steve "Woz" Wozniak get ready to unveil the first Macintosh in 1984. Jobs must also deal with personal issues related to ex-girlfriend Chrisann Brennan and their young daughter Lisa. Eventually fired, Jobs launches NeXT Inc. and prepares to release a new computer model in 1988. Ten years later, Jobs is back at Apple Inc. and about to revolutionize the industry once again with the iMac.

Geoff.
                Last edited by 1batfastard; 25th October 2016, 16:38.

Comment

• DazDaMan
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Aug 2003

I've been watching a few classic aviation movies over the past couple of days, starting with Wings. The 1927 silent classic is still stunning to watch - few films since then have come anywhere near the scale of this one. It was a worthy winner of the 1928 Academy award for Best Picture.

The Dawn Patrol followed afterwards. The 1930 original starred Douglas Fairbanks Jr. and Richard Barthelmess, and won the Oscar for Best Screenplay (even though Howard Hughes sued the film company for plagiarism, claiming they ripped off his Hell's Angels). Great flying sequences and solid acting all round in this early talkie.

Hell's Angels followed next. Howard Hughes' classic is still an amazing piece of work in terms of the flying sequences (even though there's only three of any length, and the last one is the main event). The storyline is a bit "meh", bouncing between the melodrama of the pilots and their lovelives and the politics and wastage of war. Strangely, though, it seems to lack the depth of The Dawn Patrol and the emotion of Wings. Still worth a watch, though.
                  Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• 1batfastard
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Jan 2013

Hi All,
                    Watched the film 'Everest' via (Sky Cinema) based on actual events, it was a lot better than I thought it would be and has a fair few british actors in and well recommended...

Starring:- Jason Clarke,Jake Gyllenhaal,Josh Brolin,John Hawkes,Sam Worthington,Robin Wright,Michael Kelly,Keira Knightley as Jan Arnold, Rob Hall's,Emily Watson,Thomas Wright,Martin Henderson,Elizabeth Debicki,Naoko Mori,Clive Standen,Vanessa Kirby,Tom Goodman-Hill,Ingvar Eggert Sigursson,Charlotte Bving,Micah Hauptman,Chris Reilly,Chike Chan,Vijay Lama,Mark Derwin and Mia Goth.

On the morning of May 10, 1996, climbers (Jason Clarke, Josh Brolin) from two expeditions start their final ascent toward the summit of Mount Everest, the highest point on Earth. With little warning, a violent storm strikes the mountain, engulfing the adventurers in one of the fiercest blizzards ever encountered by man. Challenged by the harshest conditions imaginable, the teams must endure blistering winds and freezing temperatures in an epic battle to survive against nearly impossible odds.

Geoff.

Comment

• DazDaMan
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Aug 2003

The Italian Job

"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!"

Kingsman - The Secret Service

Can't hear the song "Give it up" by KC and the Sunshine Band without thinking of people getting blown up. Great fun!
                      Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• 27vet
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Nov 2009

Hey Daz,
                        I mostly only watch You Tube videos and watched this excellent film the other night :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqxZoVLn6Tg
                        sigpicHindsight is what you see from the tailgunner's position...

Comment

• DazDaMan
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Aug 2003

I might give that a look!
                          Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• 27vet
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Nov 2009

Sorry, I didn't elaborate, here is the narrative: When a bomber believed to have crashed in the ocean during WWii is found 17 years later in the Libyan desert, a Colonel and Major accompany the only surviving member of the crew, who is now a General, to figure out what happened. The General claims that he and the other members of the crew bailed out over the ocean when in reality he bailed out leaving the others to fend for themselves. And while the Colonel just wants the whole thing closed, the Major insists on finding the truth. And watching them are the ghosts of the crew.

Comment

• DazDaMan
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Aug 2003

The Dawn Patrol

My personal favourite of the two versions of the film, this one sees Errol Flynn and David Niven dogfighting with the beastly Hun over France in 1915.

Escadrille Lafayette

William Wellman's final film was originally meant as a tribute to the squadron he flew with during the First World War, but was scuppered by Hollywood executives who wanted more drama and less action, and even going so far as to order the ending re-shot so as not to disappoint the filmgoers. Wellman hated the end result, and vowed it would be his last film ever!

It's a so-so result, however, as most of the running time is spent with Tab Hunter moping about with his ex-call girl girlfriend after going AWOL from his unit, only to finally want to redeem himself as a pilot when America enters WW1. Actual dogfights are limited to one scene right towards the end, with its saving grace being the use of a genuine Fokker D.VII.

The Blue Max

Do I need say any more??
                              Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• hampden98
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Sep 2009

Lucy
                                http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2872732/...nm_flmg_act_10
                                It's that old female drug dealer overdoses, transcends normal human consciousness and turns into super computer, all over again.

Is Scarlett Johansson hot? Not sure.

Comment

• DazDaMan
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • Aug 2003

The Omen

A decent horror film for Halloween. Still great viewing.
                                  Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• 1batfastard
                                    Rank 5 Registered User
                                    • Jan 2013

Hi All,
                                    I watched an excellent biopic last night (Sky Cinema) Love and Mercy about the life of beach boys legend Brian Wilson if you like biopics or music history in general you'll love this film as always up to the individual taste.......

Starring:-John Cusack,Paul Dano,Elizabeth Banks,Paul Giamatti,Jake Abel,Kenny Wormald,Brett Davern,Graham Rogers,Erin Darke,Bill Camp,
                                    Joanna Going,Nick Gehlfuss,Mark Linett,Johnny Sneed,Gary Griffin,Teresa Cowles,Vince Meghrouni,Jeff Meacham,Max Schneider,Diana Maria,
                                    Erik Eidem,Dylan Kenin,Carolyn Stotesbery,Fred Cross,Tyson Ritter,Jeff Galfer,Morgan Phillips,Wayne Basturp,Oliver Pohlad and Jonathan Slavin.

In the 1960s, young songwriter and recording savant Brian Wilson (Paul Dano) finds himself in the midst of extraordinary success after scoring numerous hit records with The Beach Boys. Following a panic attack, he resigns from concert touring and ventures into the studio intent on creating "the greatest album ever made", Pet Sounds. Meanwhile, his grip on reality slowly loosens as he attempts to cope with the overwhelming voices in his head. Later, in the 1980s, a middle-aged Wilson (John Cusack) is shown to be a broken, confused man under the pharmacological and legal thrall of his abusive therapist Dr. Eugene Landy (Paul Giamatti). After meeting Wilson, Cadillac saleswoman Melinda Ledbetter (Elizabeth Banks) is determined to save him from Landy's manipulation.

Geoff.
                                    Last edited by 1batfastard; 31st October 2016, 17:37.

Comment

• 1batfastard
                                      Rank 5 Registered User
                                      • Jan 2013

Hi All,
                                      Being Halloween last night I watched two classic Hammer horror films and a modern Hammer horror, Witchfinder General then The Curse Of Frankenstein and finally
                                      Let Me In. All available on BBCi for the next few days.... Let Me In was a vampire horror with a twist set in the 80's, centred around two kids which I suppose make it more a 16+ audience to be honest. Not being full of gore as usual modern vampire horrors are these days it does have it when needed which made the film watchable and I viewed it for what it was with no expectations just a plain horror film simple...

Starring:-Kodi Smit-McPhee,Chlo Grace Moretz,Richard Jenkins,Cara Buono,Elias Koteas,Sasha Barrese,Dylan Minnette,Ritchie Coster,Jimmy Pinchak,Nicolai Dorian Colin Moretz,Dylan Kenin,Brett DelBuono and Chris Browning.

Bullied at school, neglected at home and incredibly lonely, 12-year-old Owen (Kodi Smit-McPhee) spends his days plotting revenge on his tormentors and spends his nights spying on other residents of the apartment complex. His sole friend is Abby (Chlo Grace Moretz), a strange girl who comes out only at nighttime. Both outcasts, the two form a strong bond. When Abby's caretaker disappears amid a series of gruesome murders, Owen begins to suspect that she is hiding a terrible secret.

Geoff.

Comment

• 27vet
                                        Rank 5 Registered User
                                        • Nov 2009

Greetings all,
                                        I only have the internet and a slow connection at that, so I mostly watch You Tube videos. The two most recent films I watched :

The Horror at 37000 feet 1973 movie starring William Shatner

Death Train starring Pierce Brosnan

Comment

• DazDaMan
                                          Rank 5 Registered User
                                          • Aug 2003

A Nightmare on Elm Street and Aliens. Two great horror films right there.
                                          Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X