Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Last Film You Watched..... IV

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1batfastard
    Rank 5 Registered User

Hi All,
    I watched Seventh Son which was panned by the critics, I enjoyed the Fantasy romp some dodgy CGI at times but the Jeff Bridges characters voice was grating but those are my only two niggles. Starring Jeff Bridges,Julianne Moore,Ben Barnes,Alicia Vikander,Kit Harington,Olivia Williams,Antje Traue,Kandyse McClure,
    Djimon Hounsou,Jason Scott Lee and John DeSantis..................

Centuries ago, a supernatural champion named Master Gregory (Jeff Bridges) defeated Mother Malkin (Julianne Moore), a malevolent witch. Now, she has escaped imprisonment and thirsts for vengeance. She summons her followers and prepares to unleash her wrath on humanity. Only one thing stands in her way: Master Gregory. Gregory takes Tom Ward (Ben Barnes) as his new apprentice, but he has only until the next full moon to teach Tom what usually takes years: how to prevail against dark magic.

Geoff.

Comment

• DazDaMan
      Rank 5 Registered User

Schindler's List

Hadn't seen this in about 20 years - still a brutal watch. Great film, though.
      Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• bazv
        olde rigger

We just watched 'Seven were saved' (1947) starring Richard Denning - 'mature' members will remember him in the original Flying Doctor series in the late 50's flying DH Drovers and latterly as the Governor in Five Oh

Anyway quite an interesting little movie - storyline about an ASR unit with PBY's and B17's out in the Pacific just after VJ day.
        Some nice footage and the icing on the cake is an Airborne Lifeboat drop,a PBY sea 'landing' followed by a RATO take off : )

Oh and it is on youtube (not too bad quality)

Comment

• DazDaMan
          Rank 5 Registered User

Angels One-Five

Pleasantly surprised to find this one on BBC2 yesterday afternoon. Got it on DVD, of course, but I still sat and watched it!
          Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• ~Alan~
            Rank 5 Registered User

Just watched "Night Train to Lisbon", recorded on BBC2 earlier in the week.
            Starring Jeremy Irons. Nice film.
            Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Comment

• hampden98
              Rank 5 Registered User

Sea of Sand
              One of my favorite war films from my child hood.

Play Dirty
              Gritty Michael Caine action.

Comment

• DazDaMan
                Rank 5 Registered User

In The Heart of The Sea

Based on the true story that inspired the novel Moby-Dick, this sees Chris Hemsworth as a sailor embarking on a whaling expedition that gets itself, quite literally, into deep water after a bull sperm whale rams the whaling ship.

Not bad at all, actually.
                Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• Creaking Door
                  Rank 5 Registered User

Originally posted by hampden98 View Post
                  Sea of Sand
                  One of my favorite war films from my child hood.

Play Dirty
                  Gritty Michael Caine action.
                  You've really been doing the LRDG thing then! Saw some of 'Sea of Sand' on Film-4 the other day but I haven't seen 'Play Dirty' in decades, although I was fairly impressed the first and last time I saw it.
                  WA$.

Comment

• Creaking Door
                    Rank 5 Registered User

'The Hateful Eight'

Watched this on a long-distance flight (so that may affect my judgement slightly) but it is a pretty typical Tarantino gore-fest; if you're already a Tarantino fan then you won't be disappointed.

A fairly long run-time for what was a cross between a spaghetti-western and a whodunnit, almost a single-set stage-play (involving stage-coach passengers!), but I wasn't ever bored in that 'cannot look away' thing you get waiting for the inevitable Tarantino blood-bath.

Music (much of it from 'The Thing') by Ennio Morricone to complete the spaghetti-western theme!
                    WA$.

Comment

• 1batfastard
                      Rank 5 Registered User

Hi All,
                      Watched The Wild Bunch the other night good enjoyable Sam Peckinpah western. Starring:- William Holden,Ernest Borgnine,Robert Ryan,Edmond O'Brien,
                      Warren Oates,Jaime Snchez,Ben Johnson,Emilio Fernndez,Strother Martin,L. Q. Jones,Albert Dekker,Bo Hopkins,Jorge Russek,Alfonso Arau,Dub Taylor,
                      Rayford Barnes,Paul Harper,Chano Urueta,Elsa Crdenas,Bill Hart,Stephen Ferry,Fernando Wagner,Sonia Amelio and Aurora Clavel.

In this gritty Western classic, aging outlaw Pike Bishop (William Holden) prepares to retire after one final robbery. Joined by his gang, which includes Dutch Engstrom (Ernest Borgnine) and brothers Lyle (Warren Oates) and Tector Gorch (Ben Johnson), Bishop discovers the heist is a setup orchestrated in part by his old partner, Deke Thornton (Robert Ryan). As the remaining gang takes refuge in Mexican territory, Thornton trails them, resulting in fierce gunfights with plenty of casualties.

Geoff.

Comment

• charliehunt
                        Nearly there!

Definitely one of Sam's best, Geoff!!
                        Charlie

Keep smiling - it's never as bad as you think!!

Comment

• 1batfastard
                          Rank 5 Registered User

Hi All,
                          Charlie,
                          Yes I thoroughly enjoyed it available on SKY if you want to catch it....

I watched Trekkies 1 then 2 last night an amusing look into the lives of star Trek fans from around the world hosted by Denise Crosby (Tasha Yar off The Next Generation).
                          The 1st film from 1999 deals with the fans from the US the 2nd from 2004 deals with a few other country's every now and then bouncing back again to the US. The end credit scenes are worth watching for a laugh as some looking back at the 1999 film and cringe...
                          If you like Star Trek in all it forms it's worth watching to see if your just a fan of the show or an extremist as some of the fans featured take being a fan to the next level......

Geoff.
                          Last edited by 1batfastard; 10th April 2016, 16:46.

Comment

• hampden98
                            Rank 5 Registered User

47 Ronin.
                            Keanu Reaves superfluous performance in a Jap Samurai make believe romp.

Comment

• DazDaMan
                              Rank 5 Registered User

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

The last "good" Indy flick.
                              Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• 1batfastard
                                Rank 5 Registered User

Hi All,
                                hampden98,
                                One of his best films in recent years I thought....

I watched ' The Town' from channel 5 last night surprisingly good considering Ben Affleck not only Starred in but directed the movie......
                                Starring:- Ben Affleck,Rebecca Hall,Jon Hamm,Jeremy Renner,Blake Lively,Chris Cooper,Pete Postlethwaite,Slaine,Owen Burke,Titus Welliver,Dennis McLaughlin,
                                Brian Scannell Isaac Bordoy,Jack Neary,Edward O'Keefe, and Victor Garber.

Doug MacRay (Ben Affleck) leads a band of ruthless bank robbers and has no real attachments except for James (Jeremy Renner), who -- despite his dangerous temper -- is like a brother. Everything changes for Doug when James briefly takes a hostage, bank employee Claire Keesey. Learning that she lives in the gang's neighborhood, Doug seeks her out to discover what she knows, and he falls in love. As the romance deepens, he wants out of his criminal life, but that could threaten Claire.

Geoff.
                                Last edited by 1batfastard; 12th April 2016, 10:48.

Comment

• DazDaMan
                                  Rank 5 Registered User

Batman

Forget all that Christopher Nolan stuff - the Tim Burton Batman is still the best!!

Willow Creek

Two amateur film-makers go out into the wilderness to look for evidence of Bigfoot. Pretty good, actually!
                                  Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• 1batfastard
                                    Rank 5 Registered User

Hi All,
                                    Watched The Departed an Excellent film with a really good unexpected ending available on Sky Movies.. Starring:- Leonardo DiCaprio,Matt Damon,
                                    Conor Donovan,Jack Nicholson,Mark Wahlberg,Martin Sheen,Vera Farmiga,Ray Winstone,Alec Baldwin,Anthony Anderson,James Badge Dale,David O'Hara,
                                    Mark Rolston,Kevin Corrigan,John Cenatiempo,Armen Garo,Robert Wahlberg and Kristen Dalton.

South Boston cop Billy Costigan (Leonardo DiCaprio) goes under cover to infiltrate the organization of gangland chief Frank Costello (Jack Nicholson). As Billy gains the mobster's trust, a career criminal named Colin Sullivan (Matt Damon) infiltrates the police department and reports on its activities to his syndicate bosses. When both organizations learn they have a mole in their midst, Billy and Colin must figure out each other's identities to save their own lives.

Geoff.

Comment

• DazDaMan
                                      Rank 5 Registered User

The Lion King

Still an outstanding film from the Disney stable - scary to think this film is now 22 years old. Looks like it was made yesterday!
                                      Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• ~Alan~
                                        Rank 5 Registered User

We were at the Mother in Law's this afternoon. I was setting up the new TV we'd bought for her birthday,
                                        and was flicking through the channels.

Well, imagine my surprise........Reach For The Sky was on Film4.
                                        Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Comment

• 1batfastard
                                          Rank 5 Registered User

Hi All,
                                          I watched last night a French with subtitles film 'Age of Uprising: The Legend of Michael Kohlhaas' available on BBCi till 04/05. A not to shabby film as the story was easy to follow in the form of a man done wrong takes revenge tale. Starring:- Mads Mickleson (Hannibal Tv Series),Delphine Chuillot,Bruno Ganz,Paul Bartel,Mlusine Mayance,David Bennent,David Kross,Denis Lavant,Sergi Lpez,Amira Casar and Roxane Duran.

During the 16th century, horse dealer Michael Kohlhaas is taking his horses to market. As he passes through a local baron's lands, the baron seizes two of his horses, even though the right to extract tolls has been abolished in the country. When Kohlhaas discovers that his loyal servant was attacked by the baron's guard dogs, and that his horses have been injured and abused, he attempts to sue for monetary compensation, but his lawsuit is dismissed because the baron has a kinsman at court. Later, Kohlhaas's wife dies from injuries suffered at the hands of the baron's men. Kohlhaas leads a revolt to attack the Baron's house and then to induce the authorities to administer satisfactory justice.

Geoff.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X