The Last Film You Watched..... IV

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Green Mile

One of the few decent Stephen King adaptations around - still a great film!
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

The Revenant. Stunning film production but two and a half hours of visceral vengeance seeking leaves it short of a fine film. Best acting performance Will Poulter. Best performance by an actor surviving hell in Alberta, Leonardo di Caprio. Most incomprehensible hillbilly accent, Tom Hardy. A film more interested in showing its success in filming a raw visceral story than the story itself.

Glad I saw it though.
      Charlie

Keep smiling - it's never as bad as you think!!

Comment

I picked up a cheap box set (British Heroes) and a few days ago we watched 'Game For Vultures' with Richard Harris and Richard (Shaft) Roundtree.
        This film was a fair stab at the Sanctions Busting carried out by Rhodesia during the 1960's/1970's and the main theme is the acquisition of some 2nd hand American helicopters.
        The film stays fairly neutral and is not really biased either way,shot both in Europe and S Africa - I do not normally watch any R Harris films but he does a fair job on this one and it is worth watching just for the low level 'buzz' as the first of the smugglers Dakotas beats up a south African grass airfield to clear the field for landing by the other 20 odd aircraft.

The film was unfortunately released just as the war came to an end (1979) and so more or less sunk without trace - there were not many films made about the Rhodesian war so perhaps interesting even on a forgotten historical episode.

Comment

I've started this new thing, where I sit at home with a takeaway on a Wednesday night and watch a film about a conflict of some kind.

I call it "War Movie Wednesday".

The first film on my list was 633 Squadron. This and a 12" spicy chicken pizza equals a good time for me!
          Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

We watched 'Zulu Dawn' tonight on the 137th anniversary of the battle of isandlwana !

Comment

Not exactly a film but I am sure many on here will have seen at least some of them...

We are making our way again through the 6 disc box set of the complete series of 'Tales of the Gold Monkey' which was finally released in good quality in 2009.
              1982ish series starring Stephen Collins as Jake Cutter operating a Grumman Goose flying Boat/amphibian in the S Pacific,some great scenery and one of the cutest dogs (Jack) ever seen on TV.
              All the stories are complete hokum of course but very enjoyable none the less : )

Comment

Hi Watched 'The Force Awakens' 15/1 at the cinema with only 10 other people absolutely loved it.

I watched Martin Scorsese's 1st film 22/1 'Who's That Knocking At My Door' available on Sky.
                Starring Harvey Keitel, Zina Bethune, Anne Collette Originally titled Bring On The Dancing Girls, in 1965. Then, later renamed I Call First, in 1967. And finally re-titled as Who's That Knocking At My Door in 1968 when it was released by Trimod Films, Inc. that same year. Exploring themes of Catholic guilt similar to those in his later film Mean Streets, the story follows Italian-American J.R. (Keitel) as he struggles to accept the secret hidden by his independent and free-spirited girlfriend (Zina Bethune).

Geoff.

Comment

War Horse

Love this. Maybe not everyone's cup of tea when it comes to war films, but it is bloody good.
                  Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

Last night - Dakota (1974)
                    I always wanted to see this film and was surprised to find it on youtube
                    Good enough quality to watch on 40'' tv.
                    The film is about the pilot/owner of a Dakota who is based in Curacao and undertakes dubious flights to keep the aircraft flying,there were loads of problems with various members of the film crew and the film was released as a bit of a hotchpotch.
                    However for us aircraft enthusiasts it takes us close up to the preflight and flying sequences of operating a Dak and good fun trying to work out what the hell the dialogue means (unless you can find a subtitled/dubbed version )

Directed by Wim Verstappen. With Kees Brusse, Monique van de Ven, Willeke van Ammelrooy, Diana Dobbelman.

Wim Verstappen was very proud of the '33 hour' scene flying (single pilot) the Dak from Suriname to Ameland Island in Holland and if he had not encountered the cast/crew problems it probably would have been a much better movie - definitely one for the aircraft enthusiasts/completists as it is.

Comment

Just checked up on the history of the Dakota used in the film
                      This aircraft (PH - MAG) is the very interesting ex Dakota 111 KG437 - the nose section and some of the fuselage are in RAF Museum Hendon and it is a 'Operation Market' veteran (also D Day etc)
                      This aircraft has a very interesting history and amazing she has survived at all !

On this first day of Operation 'Market', KG437 towed a Horsa glider to Landing Zone 'S' west
                      of Wolfheze (See 'Tugs and Gliders to Arnhem' page 102.
                      The glider's Chalk Number was '202'. Regrettably the name of both glider pilots nor the exact
                      load are known as not all 'Glider Load Manifests' were filed after the operation.
                      KG437 took off at 1008 hours crewed by:
                      Flying Officer J. Stewart, RCAF, pilot
                      Flying Officer D.A. Todd, co-pilot,
                      Flying Officer R. Phillips, navigator, and
                      Flying Officer W.C. Bradley, RCAF, wireless operator.
                      Having safely delivered the Horsa glider to its Landing Zone KG437 returned to base at 1525
                      hours

Comment

Dreamer

Half-decent horsey flick which sees down-on-his-luck vet Kurt Russell rescue a broken racehorse and get her back to form to run in the Breeder's Cup.
                        Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

Trumbo.
                          Very good indeed - about the screenwriter Dalton Trumbo and the McArthur witch hunts after the war and its affects on him his family and his colleagues for more than ten years. I hadn't realised that the House Un-American Activities Committee was not disbanded until 1975.
                          Charlie

Comment

Clerks/Clerks 2

Very funny, and very appropriate for my life at the moment!
                            Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

Motherlode 1982

Charlton Heston,Kim Basinger,Nick Mancuso

Stunning scenery in British Columbia during the first 20ish minutes with a Beaver Floatplane flying low level,the aircraft then had an unplanned accident by digging in a float on landing at a remote lake,this footage was then written into the script and used for the film.The rest of the film I did not feel too comfortable with as it involved a gold mine (C Heston playing the mad Scottish miner) and I have a fear of being underground (Speluncaphobic ?) - was much happier with the low flying sequences

Comment

Hi All,
                                I watched a descent low budget SciFi/Horror Extraterrestrial 30/1. Despite the soppy ending although that gave a good nod to the X-Files, overall I enjoyed it and that's the main idea of watching these film...

Extraterrestrial (also known under the working title of The Visitors) is a 2014 sci-fi horror film that was directed by Colin Minihan, based on a script by both Vicious Brothers.[1] It stars Brittany Allen, Freddie Stroma, and Melanie Papalia as a group of friends that must defend themselves against an alien onslaught.[2]

Geoff.

Comment

Jaws 2

Just when you thought it was safe to be a horny teenager on a boat....
                                  Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

ROOM

A gut-wrenching and very affecting film, without a hint of saccharine. Excellent performances from Brie Larson as the mother and young Jacob Tremblay as her son .
                                    Charlie

Comment

Dark Tide

Halle Berry in a bikini, swimming with great white sharks. They're about the only redeeming features of this film.

Aces High

I had to do War Movie Wednesday on a Tuesday this week. One of my all-time favourite films.
                                      Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

Yesterday was one of those weird little coincidences : )

Through the letterbox arrived el cheapo (Italian) DVD of 'Zero Hour' [Ora Zero] (Dana Andrews,Sterling Hayden) 1957 which we watched early evening - only to find that 'Airplane' was on Film 4 at 7.15 so after a short break we watched that : )

The coincidence ? 'Airplane' is an almost verbatim rewrite of 'Zero Hour' even down to the pilots name (Striker) and we giggled through both films - but what are the chances of a remake being broadcast on the same day the original arrives

Comment

Hi All,
                                          I watched Fury last night thought it was an excellent film that passes by quickly with Just a couple of minor niggles really, but on the whole an enjoyable WWII movie a grittier telling of one story in one of mankind's worst conflicts.........

Geoff.

Comment

Working...
                                          X