WHY?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 2 months

All I want to know is why do they need the steps?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/last_lightning/7139228239/

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

*Shakes head*

Great picture. Surprised they aren't wearing hi-viz too.

Moggy :)

Member for

15 years 11 months

Why Not ?

Member for

14 years 2 months

A slightly more elevated view of the aircraft from the usual shot, even if it is only a couple of feet?

Because they can?

There were much larger crowds anticipated?

You can never be too prepared!

Member for

13 years 10 months

Looks like "Just Jane"from East Kirkby. If all the photographers have telephoto lense on, (One has) then the steps would help them to get more in, of the top half of the Lanc. Bit difficult to explain, but a good wide angle would have been better, however, how many prime lense can one carry?, as there is no, "One size fits all lense".
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

14 years 1 month

It does seem rather strange. Did they also have the camera cases covered in
stickers ?

Member for

13 years 3 months

the guy on the far left looks as though he has 2 hedgehogs mating on his head or is it just my warped mind playing tricks lol

Member for

13 years 10 months

Just noticed:rolleyes: the area has been roped off, (See the thin blue rope?.)
Hense the telephoto lense and the ladders, although the one on the left I see has an aluminium camera box he could stand on, as well as carrying his gear.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

20 years 2 months

Steps

A slightly more elevated view of the aircraft from the usual shot, even if it is only a couple of feet?!

So what about this then, it can serve no purpose whatsoever:D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/Bruggen/Picture3471.jpg

Member for

14 years

deffinate advantage it gives him more shooting options as it has taken the fence out of a lot of his shooting area giving him far more options of shots

on a telephoto he could shoot the group further out if he was lower the fence could block his view

a step ladder is a superb piece of equipment to a photographers armoury because sometimes a shot taken from a lower or higher perspective can open up scenarios away from the norm such as better lighting , a better angle , easier to photograph without including ground obstacles like cones and barriers and people

Member for

15 years 10 months

Idiots & a right royal pain in the ar5e to boot, nothing screams complete & utter tool more than these buffoons wandering around an air display looking like they're about to paint the ceiling.

I mean come on, who hasn't secretly wanted to give the one on the end a hefty shove & watch a whole row of these fools come toppling down like a line of dominoes. :diablo:

Member for

20 years 2 months

Steps

deffinate advantage it gives him more shooting options as it has taken the fence out of a lot of his shooting area giving him far more options of shots

on a telephoto he could shoot the group further out if he was lower the fence could block his view

a step ladder is a superb piece of equipment to a photographers armoury because sometimes a shot taken from a lower or higher perspective can open up scenarios away from the norm such as better lighting , a better angle , easier to photograph without including ground obstacles like cones and barriers and people

Very nicely put, but toss just the same, you see he's about 10 metres
from the tent, all that mud in front him is the is driveway through the camp site. so you think a 5 foot step will give a higher angle to aircraft flying at
300 to 500ft:D

Member for

14 years

it may only be a marginaly small advantage but in photography a marginaly small advantage can make the difrence between selling a shot or it staying on your hard drive !!

or something you are not happy with and something you are i have toyed with taking one to my local airport because like it or not there are many ground level items that get in the way of shooting even though my local airport is the best in the uk for spectating

that sort of fencing is a pain in the **** for getting shots over therefore even 2 feet higher is an undeniable advantage if it wasn't my local airport would not have gone to the expense of building 3-4 feet high spectators mounds in the viewing park !!

roughly the same distance away from the fencing as him

Member for

14 years 2 months

To me the stepladder brigade fall in the same bracket who think its ok to rock up at the crowd line at the crack of lark's fart on airshow day and make their own personal enclosure/impregnable fortress out of windbreaks.
Completely selfish @rses who should be turfed out. :mad:

Herr Doktor, I'm with you there! :D

Member for

13 years 10 months

Whilst I agree with Blue 2 re the folks who get to the venue early, set up camp, and s*d everyone else, (Silverston, is a prime example of this) I am afraid I agree with T64, when he states that just that little bit extra (Where have I heard that before?:eek:) makes all the difference, I am sure if a polite "Excuse me, whilst I take this shot I have been waiting all day for) would be acceptable, to just put the ladder up and then take it down straight away, after hopefully getting the shot you wanted.
It's all to do with height and angles, lighting, sun position etc old chaps;)
Stand by for incoming!!
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

20 years 2 months

Step

it may only be a marginaly small advantage but in photography a marginaly small advantage can make the difrence between selling a shot or it staying on your hard drive !!

that sort of fencing is a pain in the **** for getting shots over therefore even 2 feet higher is an undeniable advantage

Not for an aircraft flying at 500ft it's not, If his steps in the pic I put up were 20 feet higher it would have only a minute
difference to any photos he took, like I said he's a long way from that fence:D

Member for

13 years 10 months

Bruggen 130.

Don't get T64 started, it's a (Pardon the pun) step in the wrong direction:D
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

20 years 2 months

pun

I don't mind a bit of light hearted bullsh9t Jim:D

Member for

14 years

Not for an aircraft flying at 500ft it's not, If his steps in the pic I put up were 20 feet higher it would have only a minute
difference to any photos he took, like I said he's a long way from that fence:D

there is an advantage !! as i said it may only be a miniscule difrence but it is that miniscule difrence between a shot being in print and not !!

without the stepladder without a doubt he could get a closely cropped shot

but magazines like things like a clear area of sky to print a write up below the actual shot so he may be taking a shot to allow for printing over below the actual subject matter

you can't be higher and not get an advantage if a fence is there !! that is impossible

if it wasn't all millitary scouts would have said "" lets head to the lower ground for a better view !!"

it may be annoying for some and maybe there should be certain areas where you could use them but there is no doubt there is an advantage in using them ( it is a well used photography technique not only used at airshows )

i also have no objection to those getting up at sparrows fart so secure a front space and putting windbreaks up everyone is equal and some may be a tad jealuos but there is nothing saying you are not allowed to get up early and organise yourself for the day !!

http://www.ddroom.com/memos/2010/08/11/using-a-step-ladder-to-change-your-point-of-view/

Member for

14 years

all i know is i always make sure i'm stood on the highest ground around even if only a couple of feet above normal !!

it tends to work for me !!

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2731/5857756013_b2761fcb11_b.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5142/5858348404_1187eebc46_b.jpg

Member for

20 years 2 months

spste

there is an advantage !! as i said it may only be a miniscule difrence but it is that miniscule difrence between a shot being in print and not !!

without the stepladder without a doubt he could get a closely cropped shot

but magazines like things like a clear area of sky to print a write up below the actual shot so he may be taking a shot to allow for printing over below the actual subject matter

you can't be higher and not get an advantage if a fence is there !! that is impossible

if it wasn't all millitary scouts would have said "" lets head to the lower ground for a better view !!"

it may be annoying for some and maybe there should be certain areas where you could use them but there is no doubt there is an advantage in using them ( it is a well used photography technique not only used at airshows )

i also have no objection to those getting up at sparrows fart so secure a front space and putting windbreaks up everyone is equal and some may be a tad jealuos but there is nothing saying you are not allowed to get up early and organise yourself for the day !!

http://www.ddroom.com/memos/2010/08/11/using-a-step-ladder-to-change-your-point-of-view/

How in gods name is a 10ft fence going to stop him getting a picture of these aircraft when they are (I'll say it again) flying a 500ft over his head, and he's 20ft from the fence, and I know a stepladder helps you get above a fence for a better shot, but NOT in the two pictures shown, I was not on a ladder when I took the pic of him and look, the same aircraft in shot and I've left some space below the formation for the title of the book