RAF Family History

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years 3 months

Hello all
My great uncle is the target of my question.
I have been told during WW2 he worked for Bomber Command.
He was too old to be on active service and I believe he was in some finance section?
The only info on him I have is a letter. Which would appear to contradict what I have just said.

It's addressed to 'Flying officer W L Binns'

It's a small certificate that reads.

"By the KING'S order the name of Flying officer WL Binns Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve was published in the London Gazette on 14 June 1945 as mentioned in a despatch for distinguished service I am charged to record his Majestys high appreciation.

Harold Macmillan Secretary of state for air."

Does anybody know what it is for and where could I find out more about my uncle.

Thanks

Chris

Original post

Member for

14 years

i'd imagine "flying officer " was a rank obtainable for ground staff too !!

and the RAF would have had many highly important and vital tasks in ground based tasks too such as target idetification etc !!

the letter says he was " mentioned in despatches !" that covers many important things or actions it was just short of receiving a medal !! so quite honourable realy !!

Member for

12 years 3 months

I would like to know exactly what he did but the London Gazette web site does not have any info on that exact date, I will have to do more research.

Thanks

Member for

12 years 6 months

I would like to know exactly what he did but the London Gazette web site does not have any info on that exact date, I will have to do more research.

Flying Officer is the RAF commissioned officer rank equivalent to the army rank of 1st Lieutenant. It has nothing to do with being aircrew.

Try either the RAF museum or the Imperial war museum, they may be able to assist or at least point you in the right direction for more information. Failing that try the National Archives at Kew.

PAG

Member for

12 years 10 months

If you have seen the London Gazette site, you will have seen your uncles Service Number (142249). You will note that the L.G. was published on 8th June 1945 with the Supplement dated 14 June 1945.

With that information and at a cost of at least £30 you can go to the Ministry of Defence website (veterans) and obtain a copy of his Military Service Record of where he had been.

Veterans’ site is at: http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Ab...erviceRecords/

You may wish to read this other recent thread: http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=114782

Hope this is of some help.