Olympic Games

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 10 months

At a time when we are all having to tighten our belts, and a double dip recession is on the way, can we realy justify holding the games. And also, exactly what do they prove?.
Jim.

Lincoln .7

Original post

Member for

14 years 2 months

Bit late to change our minds now. Any idea when the bid to host the games was first initiated, sure it was when things weren't quite as bad as they are now.

Most cities that host the games do so at a loss and can't really say I'm all that bothered by it.

Member for

17 years 7 months

According to wiki it has been going since 1997. The bid was first shown to the government in 2000. They were awarded to London in 2005.

Why not be positive about it? Use it as an excuse to show what the UK is capable of. It has the potential to generate a huge amount of money and publicity for the UK and we should try and make the most of the opportunity.

Sport is in itself pointless. It has no value and life could carry on without it. It would also be that little bit less interesting and a bit duller so sit back and enjoy the spectacle.

Member for

15 years 9 months

@Arthur Pewtey

I don't see how it shows what the UK is capable of... There's just not much to be done that is a demonstration of something useful. The only significant one is the stadium ect, but there are already examples of those in the UK.

Sport is fine, but British funding for it needs to be focused on the majority of the population, not events to show how great some 5 stone runner from Kenya is. How about making more gyms and swimming pools available to the public for next to nothing to be run by local councils?

Member for

17 years 7 months

Do you not think that the Olympics may inspire a generation to take up some sport or other?
Then again maybe you're right. Maybe we should carry on with what is a gold medal sport for the UK. i.e. bitching and moaning- we are after all the world's best.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Sport is in itself pointless. It has no value and life could carry on without it. It would also be that little bit less interesting and a bit duller so sit back and enjoy the spectacle.

Not all sport - civil servants have snapped up 400 tickets to the womens beach volleyball games!!!! Twice as many tickets as other events?.....

Member for

15 years 9 months

@Arthur Pewtey
I think my generation have much bigger problems left over by the previous generation than lack of inspiration for sport :cool:

Member for

13 years

Edward Gibbon: "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire".

'Bread & Circuses'

'Smoke & Mirrors'

Just like the Arts - triumph of style over substsnce.

John Green

Member for

17 years 7 months

@Arthur Pewtey
I think my generation have much bigger problems left over by the previous generation than lack of inspiration for sport :cool:

Er.. you were the one that wanted free sports facilities.

Mr. Green. I think you've posted in the wrong thread or at least joining in a different "discussion" than everyone else.

Maybe the Olympic motto should be "Britain - taking moaning to the next level"

Member for

14 years 2 months

It's just another way of regenerating parts of London at the expense of everyone else in the UK...

Member for

16 years 3 months

Just lining Cameron and Cleggs pockets, well trousered boys

Member for

13 years

Arthur. Looks like you're in a minority of one - so far !

John Green

Member for

13 years 10 months

It's warming up ;) I wonder which Company has recieved the largest "Backhander" by Cammeron and Clegg, Oh, I wonder if Boris has had a say in things?, or should I say hand.

Obviously, I am only taking the "P" as none of the aformentioned would ever dream of such underhanded things:diablo:
Jim.

Lincoln .7

Member for

14 years 2 months

It's just another way of regenerating parts of London at the expense of everyone else in the UK...

As I understand it most of the bill is being footed by private sponsors and the London tax payer, it is billed as the London Olympics so if I can avoid the beeb and this forum mostly remains on topic it should be manageable to avoid the event.

As for kids taking being inspired to take up sport, I think that generally a more sustained exposure to a sport than some coverage once every four years is more likely to inspire and motivate them.

Member for

13 years

Inkworm.

Spot on !

John Green

Member for

17 years 7 months

Arthur. Looks like you're in a minority of one - so far !

John Green

I've never been afraid to go against the flow and fortunately this forum isn't particularly representative of the UK population.

I guess what the Olympics means to some is just something else to whine about rather than the government, the weather or whatever. I, for one, am looking forward to it and if Britain's athletes perform as they did in Beijing then it should be something to for some of us at least to be proud of. The rest of you can hide in your sheds until it's over. Suits me.

Member for

15 years 9 months

@Arthur Pewtey
Nope, you are trying to mix my two comments, which are about two quite different things.

1. Free sports facilities are a better choice for the health and fitness of British people than Olympic parks for the worlds athletes.

2. Olympics may inspire some a new British generation, but if you want to inspire something with taxpayers money, how about inspiring business and R&D to fix the economic mess.

Seems quite clear to me.

Member for

17 years 7 months

Your point number 2 is a great idea. Maybe some large capital project would be in order involving perhaps regeneration of some derelict areas of a big city ( you see where this going don't you)......

It is all irrelevant anyway, the Olympics were planned before the economic crisis broke and there was no going back.

Member for

15 years 9 months

@Arthur Pewtey
But still a very inefficient way to regenerate an area.

Member for

19 years 5 months

I can see a country spending huge bucks to host an Olympics in order to let the world know a city /region is a world class place or that it's come back from a war or something (Tokyo 1964).
But London is well, London..one of the greatest and best known cities on Earth.

I can't imagine they need more tourists.

Oh well, the money's been spent, have fun and make the best of it.

Member for

13 years

Its just been reported on the 6 o'clock BBC News that the opening ceremony of the Olympics will cost the taxpayer 81 million GBP. I reckon that's a bargain. What do you think Arthur? You couldn't buy a barrowfull of apples for that !

John Green