M A S H

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 2 months

had the box set given at christmas ,id forgotten just how good this long running Korean War Based series was every episode is well scripted and funny.
Most of the series set is displayed in the smithsonian museum quite an accolade.
Alan Alda was brilliant as "hawkeye"

Original post

Member for

14 years

Yes indeed.
It's repeated on one of the Sky Ch. The Series lasted longer than the War itself.

I can even tolerate the canned laughter.

Member for

19 years 5 months

It should be noted that the helicopters seen in the opening credits are not only of the correct type, but correct model as well. Bell 47D-1/H-13 D and Es.
A small detail most viewers (even most aviation fans) would miss.

However, in some of the episodes, later models of the Bell 47/H-13 do appear.

Member for

14 years

It should be noted that the helicopters seen in the opening credits are not only of the correct type, but correct model as well. Bell 47D-1/H-13 D and Es.

This takes Geekdom to a new high!! Nice one LoL

Member for

24 years 2 months

The cinema film was a lot darker and a lot sharper than the TV series which all became a little cosy.

Moggy

Member for

15 years 10 months

Watching an episode right now, it's the first appearance of Colonel Potter.

Great series, but enjoyed the film more.

Member for

18 years 10 months

I ride past the filming location most weekends. It's still there, on the South side of Mulholland Hwy between Los Virgenes & Cornell road in SoCal.

Between 10.45 & about 15.00 in this vid you should recognize the mountains on the left..:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD9YMymwAfo&list=UUL0JMOAU_baZtgQcihlWMPg&index=5&feature=plcp

gimme a minute & I'll get the Google Earth grid ref...

Member for

18 years 10 months

Here ya go:

34° 5'46.66"N 118°44'40.36"W

It's just under a mile from the road I was on.

Member for

16 years 2 months

I ride past the filming location most weekends. It's still there, on the South side of Mulholland Hwy between Los Virgenes & Cornell road in SoCal.

Between 10.45 & about 15.00 in this vid you should recognize the mountains on the left..:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD9YMymwAfo&list=UUL0JMOAU_baZtgQcihlWMPg&index=5&feature=plcp

gimme a minute & I'll get the Google Earth grid ref...

lucky you

Member for

16 years 2 months

theres a chap owns a company near dewsbury owns one and flies it regularly

Member for

16 years 2 months

The cinema film was a lot darker and a lot sharper than the TV series which all became a little cosy.

Moggy

the box set includes the film which is as you say much darker than the series, Frank Burns is quite sinister played by robert duval as opposed to Larry linvilles character in the series,

Member for

16 years 7 months

I like both equally but for different reasons, one is an excellent, dark satire, movie directed by the great Robert Altman, made in the same period and with a similar underlying feel as Catch 22.
The other was a television series, which was absolutely superb in production quality, acting, and humourously dark story lines. I would say that as such it was without peer.
Even though most of the actors (from memory!) from one to the other were changed they were all great. I couldn't even say which of the two Hot Lips I prefer!

Both M*A*S*Hs' work really well in their own ways, one couldn't be the other.:)

Member for

19 years 5 months

This takes Geekdom to a new high!! Nice one LoL

From a forum that endlessly complains about Merlin-powered "Bf-109s", Spitfires with the wrong armament for 1940, and a certain dog's name (he who shall not be named), that's high praise indeed. :D:D

The truth is, the model/Mark of a Bell 47 is as critical as the Mark of a Spitfire. And as easily done if one pays attention to detail.

Member for

17 years 6 months

It's a funny thing MASH, I watched it avidly when it was on originally and remember the final episode in the early 1980s.
Recently I've watched it on the Comedy Channel and I have to say that it is disappointing. Whether it has dated badly or the humour no longer relevant but I don't find it funny any more. The canned laughter is hugely irritating and I remember the furore when it was introduced originally - some might need to be prompted when to laugh; I was capable of deciding that myself.

Member for

20 years 5 months

I don't think M*A*S*H has dated that much really. It has a certain quality, much the same way that 'Dads Army' has, in that as it was set in the past rather than in the time it was filmed, it wont really date that much. Like you Arthur I watched it recently and found the laughter track completely ruined it for me. I seem to recall that when it was first shown on BBC2 there was no laughter track and that for me added a certain 'grittiness' to it. The repeats on the comedy channels have now ruined it with the canned laughter that has now been added in.

Martin