When Scotland splits........

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years 3 months

Here could be the new flag of Great Britain.

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6332/800pxflagoftheunitedkin.jpg

Will that bloke Salmond lay claim to a percentage of each of our armed services as belonging to Scotland, or will they start from scratch? Maybe as he prefers the French to the English, we'll see a large part of the French Navy anchored in the Firth of Clyde. Just a thought.......

Original post

Member for

17 years 6 months

By "our" do you mean British or English, bearing in mind the Scots have paid for their share as well.

Member for

14 years 2 months

Interesting discussion on how assests and debts will be divided up last night with Salmond thinking it only fair that all the off shore gas and oil profits go to Scotland however the debts the UK owes would only be a much smaller figure, even though RBS was bailed out by UK taxes.

Sure they can pick up some stuff here http://www.mod-sales.com/ for their army, Cameron seems determined to sell everything off.:D

Member for

13 years 11 months

speaking as a half scott , give them what they want !!

keep the oil and gas !! along with paying thier own unemployment benefits , funding thier own national health system , child bennefits , pensions , funding thier defence , etc etc !!

i know who would come off best !! for those still pondering ....it won't be scotland !!

Member for

15 years 10 months

Rare occurrence, a tornado64 post gaining the prestigious Strangelove Seal Of Approval http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/images/icons/icon14.gif

Member for

15 years 9 months

Why not it still looks fine without Salmond and his cronies

Here could be the new flag of Great Britain.

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6332/800pxflagoftheunitedkin.jpg

Why not it still looks fine without Salmond and his cronies' Saltire.

He prefers anyone who will pay lip service to his crazy megalomaniac plan especially anyone with a rich greasy palm.

Member for

15 years 9 months

Interesting quote of the actual letter Alex Salmond wrote to ......

Interesting discussion on how assests and debts will be divided up last night with Salmond thinking it only fair that all the off shore gas and oil profits go to Scotland however the debts the UK owes would only be a much smaller figure, even though RBS was bailed out by UK taxes.

Sure they can pick up some stuff here http://www.mod-sales.com/ for their army, Cameron seems determined to sell everything off.:D

Interesting quote (in today's FT) of the actual letter Alex Salmond wrote to Sir Fred Goodwin then head of RBS congratulating him on the eve of the disastrous purchase of bankrupt ABN AMBRO (the disaster that rocked the RBS boat and capsized it completely - interestingly though it exposed both RBS & HBOS shenaninigans in falsified assets and being in essence bankrupt).

This is the future head of an Independent Scotland - not much between the gills for planning a country's future strategy IMO.

Member for

19 years 5 months

It would be worth it just to see Sean Connery made head of the Scottish intelligence service.

Member for

20 years 6 months

I can understand national pride and wanting to be ruled less by the current government(we all want an alternative to that) I am just not sure how it benefits Scotland or anyone for that matter.
Does independence really exist these days? We are all tied in to Europe and the European Union laws and treaties etc. I think this will be a case of United we sink or divided we sink either way we in troubled waters.

I would of thougtht being United would be safer than being a smaller country at this time of economic troubles. Either way good luck Scotland in whatever you decide its a lovely part of Europe.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Some of us up here arent daft enough to think independence would work and dont want it anyway. All the cross border w.lly waving going on at the moment is a needless distraction from the problems we all face.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Totally agree with you there Der and I just hope for the sake of Scotland when that vote comes its a no,If not things will just be more messy.

Member for

14 years 1 month

...Maybe as he prefers the French to the English, we'll see a large part of the French Navy anchored in the Firth of Clyde. Just a thought.......

Just because Scotland wants independence, it doesn't mean we hate the English - far from it. I'm sure the two countries would remain the best of friends and allies.

By "our" do you mean British or English, bearing in mind the Scots have paid for their share as well.

For once I agreee with you Arthur. 10% of the armed forces are paid for by Scottish taxpayers.

Interesting discussion on how assests and debts will be divided up last night with Salmond thinking it only fair that all the off shore gas and oil profits go to Scotland ...

The international law on Scotland's waters has been known for a long time. 92% of current and future reserves lies in Scottish waters.

speaking as a half scott , give them what they want !!

keep the oil and gas !! along with paying thier own unemployment benefits , funding thier own national health system , child bennefits , pensions , funding thier defence , etc etc !!

i know who would come off best !! for those still pondering ....it won't be scotland !!

Independence has nothing to do with coming off best, and it's not all about filthy lucre. It's all about national pride, and looking after ourselves, with nobody else to blame if things go wrong. Eire isn't doing too well these days, but I don't think many of its people would want to return to being part the UK.

...This is the future head of an Independent Scotland - not much between the gills for planning a country's future strategy IMO.

Say what you like about Salmond, but he's widely credited with being one of the most able politicians in Europe. You won't see many others, including Cameron, who will step up to take him on in a debate.
Once Scotland becomes independent, Alex Salmond's role would be over anyway, and the SNP would split into Liberals, Labour, Tory etc.

It would be worth it just to see Sean Connery made head of the Scottish intelligence service.

Scottish intellect and inventiveness has probably done more for the world than any other nation has. What is your point?

Member for

15 years 9 months

Salmond is as you say a very good orator and debater but ....

Al

Salmond is as you say a very good orator and debater but unless his words turn to real Gold, words alone cannot get a Scotland economically independent even if it politically break all ties with Westminster.

I think it does not take an economist or accountant to work out the simple arithmetic e.g. dismembering NI contributions to eke out what Scotland is owed to cover NHS, Social Security, Welfare, etc, the unique Scottish taxation will require a large army of civil servants at the equivalent of a Scottish tax Office to administer personal taxation but what of MNEs (god help them), and how cheap will it be to get Alex Salmond's share of oil revenues from English registered companies (also very late as much of the future fields will be out with Scottish control anyway and the one's in Scottish waters have had their day and are on the wane).

It simply is the wrong time for all this Saltire waving and instead unity and a shoulder to the 'Union Jack Wheel' is what Alex Salmond should be using his oratory for and also to encourage his people off the 'dole' and dependance on substances paid for by the NHS and back into Scottish proud work, customer service and production.

No I don't believe the Scots and English people will begin to hate each other but where is all this going bar down a foolish and expensive charade and junketing spree (and more bureaucracy to dismember the two countries)?

Member for

15 years 9 months

Yikes - I hope it doesn't come to the SNP showing their w.llies though

Some of us up here arent daft enough to think independence would work and dont want it anyway. All the cross border willy waving going on at the moment is a needless distraction from the problems we all face.

Yikes - I hope it doesn't come to the SNP showing their w.llies though.:rolleyes:

It may have been okay for William Wallaces hordes to do so but I am not sure W.llie waving even if painted in the colours of the Saltire, at Westminster or Holyrood is really part of the business of the house.

Also HM Queen Elizabeth II remains sovereign monarch in UK and it's mandatory for wearers of Kilts to keep such things as w.llies in suitable undergarments when in public and that must apply certainly to any armed forces that wear kilts. That is of course unless Mr Alex Salmond is also going to set up his own Monarchy (more like malarchy) in the future.

Member for

15 years 9 months

He already is and Jackie Stewart is head of the Presidential Fleet

He already is and Jackie Stewart is head of the Presidential (Thistle not Banana Republic of course) Fleet.

Member for

13 years

Well if Scotland does become independant will the old firm rivalry(Celtic v Rangers) spill over into mainstream politics? By that I mean a rerun of NI.

Member for

14 years 1 month

Well if Scotland does become independant will the old firm rivalry(Celtic v Rangers) spill over into mainstream politics? By that I mean a rerun of NI.

Paul - because there is a substantial Irish influence in Glasgow (as there is in Liverpool, too), the Protestant/Catholic issue does become inflamed there at times, especially in local politics and football, but as for the rest of Scotland goes, nobody gives a flying fig.
Religion seems to be dying out in most places, and as far as I'm concerned, the sooner the better. Paganism... now there is the future...

Member for

13 years 11 months

a manc and a scouse fighting in the street all of a sudden a yorkie joins in and hits the scouser , the manc says " oi !! leave him alone we're lancastrians we are !!" ,
a lad from london views this and says " wotcha !! leave him alone before i do you like a kipper !!"

to wich the reply comes you what you southern git , were northerners we are !!"

a glaswegian spots this and says " need a hand jimmy !"

the reply comes " pis* o** jock , were english!

all of a sudden pierre spots what is going on before he even gets chance all the brits shout " bog off froggy we're brits we are !!"

all of a sudden a yank grabs pierre , to wich the brits say " oi !! don't go takin us europeans on

and so it rolls on !!

Member for

19 years 5 months

Scottish intellect and inventiveness has probably done more for the world than any other nation has. What is your point?

Ask your mum or friends at the local to explain the joke to you. :D

Member for

14 years 1 month

Ask your mum or friends at the local to explain the joke to you. :D

Ah Mish Funnyfanny - you musht be mishtaken!
(N.B. I'm retired, and my Mum would be 100 next year if she was still above ground!)

Member for

12 years 3 months

If the Scots have any sense, they'll chuck Salmond out and remain British.
But incase they don't, here is the new RAF roundel:-

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/6827/rafb.jpg