Jed

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 1 month

OK, I like the man, love Top gear and I think his documentaries are superb and captivating.
But this time, he's been a pillock.

Original post

Member for

19 years 6 months

I think it was the 4,700 (union instructed) complainee` that are the pillocks.
Its a flipant comment, which we all expect and want from him.
The BBC have made a big mistake today, blowing it all out of proportion and bringing trouble on them selves. (and waisting time for decent debates on Jeremy Vine) As if the BBC is going to sack the `star` of there most popular and highest earning program.

Member for

17 years 7 months

OK, I like the man, love Top gear and I think his documentaries are superb and captivating.

He has indeed been a pillock. I have to say that I generally avoid watching him and his boorish comments. If his comment was meant as joke it was missing one important factor. It wasn't funny.

Member for

24 years 3 months

About as funny as all the tedious, repetitive 'c0cking about' that makes what was once a good programme an urgent reason to switch off the TV and arrange ones sock drawer in colour order.

"Rather than be creative, lets smash up a caravan (again), the half-wits who watch us like that sort of thing"

Moggy

Member for

14 years 2 months

He's borderline comic, not always funny but then it has been blown up out of proportion, if a regular comedian had said it, it would have been glossed over.

Member for

13 years 10 months

[QUOTE=Moggy C;1829340]About as funny as all the tedious, repetitive 'c0cking about' that makes what was once a good programme an urgent reason to switch off the TV and arrange ones sock drawer in colour order.

Well Moggs, I for one, like it, Yes, he can act the prat, but that's all part of the act TBH I watch it just to see the cars, new and old, some of the things they get up to are quite good, like who can get from A to B quicker, Mays in his light aircraft, (Who likes to fly into a commercial aircrafts flight path) and Clarkson in the Veyron.
I doubt if I, or very many, if any will ever see a Veyron, or indeed many more exotic models other than on T.G. He may have learned his lesson, but has it changed the world one iota?.
I doubt it.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

16 years 8 months

I think it was the 4,700 (union instructed) complainee` that are the pillocks...

Absolutely 100% agree with your post Benyboy, if the Unions had pursued this incident legally then I think there would have been serious questions about wasting money etc over a very trivial matter. He was voicing in a very overblown and tongue in cheek manner a feeling that some of us private sector workers feel towards these strikers.
Funny how there wasn't the same upset about his comments about rail suicides and boring birds, The whole episode says much more about the unions than about Clarkson and his humour which many seem to fail to grasp.

Moggy, your posts are getting as predictable as Jeremys' views!

Member for

14 years

i'm the opposite i fully support what the man said and don't think he should have had to appologise in any form !!

i have worked on both sides and all i can describe the public sector as is an easy day for good money

fair enough they are not all fantastic but head teachers who are paid £60'000.00 per year and with most employees well above minimum wage with a paid pension

i work unsociable hours , in a high stress job ( once i did a 26 hr shift with no breaks because of staff shortages and i couldn't just walk off because i was looking after someone ill and disabled ,

recently i have had 50 hrs per month taken away so am now £15.00 a week worse off than i was on the dole having only £18.00 PER MONTH LEFT AFTER BILLS FOR FOOD .

i also have no hope whatsoever of paying for a pension

i thaught we were all in this together !!

there's only one thing i'd have done difrently to jezzer

i'd have birched them and rubbed salt in the wounds before i shot them !!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Clarkson made a joke (and one apparently sanctioned by the show's producer?). Are the unions so bleeding delicate that they actually think he'd line the strikers up against a wall and shoot them?

More to the point, how about the police investigate the comments by one union leader about those who chose to work and calling them scabs? Isn't that inciting others to harrass those who could not afford to lose a days wages?

If my wife took part she would have been docked a days wages (as it was Wednesday is her day off) and only one staff member did not report for work. Many of her colleagues are struggling without the prospect of a days wage being docked - sometimes walking out is the easy thing to do...

I can imagine how upsetting it might be for non strikers to cross a picket line if there are extremely militant union members manning it.

Be a waste of good ammo.....

Member for

14 years 1 month

The pillock bit of my OP was that he said what he did on the wrong show. We expect it from him on TG, but the 7pm show (Isn't it live minus 5 seconds?....so the producer may not of sanctioned it?) is watched by a different crowd and children. And, it was on the same day as the action, if done in a few weeks it would be seen for the joke it was.
My Mrs was on strike as part of local Guvmint. The Pension (Which is no more guilt edged than any other Company contribution scheme) was actually not that great before, now it's worse...or threatened to be worse.
And to the rant above about overpaid workers etc. then I can assure you that your opinion is not sound. The vast majority of these workers are underpaid and I suspect mainly female (Which has the added history of being underpaid and still not caught up despite all the equal pay stuff). My role, transferred to Central Government would pay 50% less, for example. Yes, some senior managers may be on a good ticket, but no more so than in industry.

Member for

13 years 6 months

I wonder just how many public sector workers - you know the type: teacher/nurse/refuse collector (ie. not middle and upper management) can afford to learn to fly and run aeroplanes?... in comparison to the equivalent jobs in the private sector :D

In all seriousness, I'm public sector, I don't have any association with a union, and therefore don't strike. I do not pay into a pension fund for two reasons - I can't afford to put £200/month into a pot, and secondly by the time I hit 67 - 70 years old, the retirement age will have exceeded my ability to stay alive. I get a good wage for the 800 ish hours I have in contact with my students, but that does not take into account the preparation time at home. I took a huge pay cut when I moved from private to public. I did find Mr. Clarkson's comments funny and watched as they were blown out of proportion by the media.

In a few years time, there will be a dramatic increase in the number of deaths at work....

Member for

24 years 3 months

... has it changed the world one iota?

It's fair to say that little Mr Clarkson does is likely to have any effect on the world outside those who so inexplicably enjoy his puerile antics.

Moggy

Member for

24 years 3 months

Moggy, I've just torn up your application form for the Jeremy Clarkson Fan Club...

Member for

24 years 3 months

His historical documentaries have been excellent, and some of his writing is amusing.

I just hate the way Top Gear has been allowed to stultify into a tired and repetitive formula which all concerned give the appearance of merely going through the motions to turn out another episode and collect their paycheck.

The contrast with the excellent Fifth Gear couldn't be more marked.

As for the current kerfuffle - who cares? Storm in a teacup.

Moggy

Member for

20 years 6 months

This complaining about his comments is just literally another "Ooh im offended because I can be " from a country that just seems to have forgot its way totally. Where are the people complaining on the real issues? and using their opinions for change instead of on things like this. Its almost like people are not allowed to say anything anymore incase upsets somebody, a nanny state.

Lets be honest if you listen to the whole conversation he had a pop at both sides and it was clearly meant as a joke, Ok it may of been a bit silly but jokes can be a bit risque and Clarkson is well known for strong views and headline grabbing and lets be honest The One show gained a fair bit of publicity from this too.

Member for

13 years

Benyboy,

Spot on - right on the money ! Though you will find little support from some of the lefty, humourless hand wringers.

#4 & 12

I'm puerile and a halfwit - according to many, so by your definition I should enjoy Top Gear and its presenters - which I do, along with millions of other puerile halfwits around the globe. The pity is that my puerility and half witedness hasn't netted me a fraction of the cash that is so merited by Clarky, May and Hammond. Perhaps I need to try a bit harder.

Clark's comment was a 'throwaway'. Not meant to be taken seriously. A bit like the 'throwaway' invitation to consider the merits of 'killing someone slowly' that is the subject of a debate on another part of this Forum

For Heaven's sake, lighten up !

John Green

Member for

24 years 3 months

The contrast with the excellent Fifth Gear couldn't be more marked.

Excellent? Sorry old chap, but Fifth Gear is a sad parody of your much hated Top Gear - their format mimics TG (all the 'stunts' they also put on) and while I haven't watched it recently (even if Vicki BH can still make grown men's toes curl with her mucky laugh while strapped tightly into some bucket seat) the pally double act of Tom Ford and that knob Tim Shaw sent me scurrying to find the remote control. And then they had the services of an unmasked ex-Stig for one season...
It's just a tool for C5 to make money from viewers trying to win a second (or third) hand car by premium rate phone lines/texts...

It used to be a good programme when it just had Tiff, Vicki and Quentin Wilson/Jason Plato...

Member for

13 years 1 month

I think Mr Clarkson just said a slightly more aggressive form of what workers in the real world are thinking. Such a shame the public sector workers haven't had a wage increase. Hold on, I've had to cut my pay just to keep my business going. Oh yes, and I'm working after my retirement age of 65 already. It would be nice to have a nice fat pension so I could sit back and moan about something else. :)

Member for

24 years 3 months

Excellent? Sorry old chap, but Fifth Gear is a sad parody of your much hated Top Gear

Fifth Gear employs drivers, Needell, Plato and VB-H and talks in an informed way about cars and the industry. Missing Plato badly this series though.

TG employs journalists who think they are celebs, can't drive and need a pro-driver to demonstrate anything seriously, rather than lurch round a track in a series of aimless and time-sapping slides and spins.

If you can't see the difference, then the difference doesn't matter to you.

Moggy

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hmmm, guess driving the pants off two cars around the Anglesey circuit in the "Shoot Out" (bit like an "informed" version of the TG Power Lap?) gives the viewer a good idea of how their next purchase will handle on the school run?

Both shows are a long way from the consumer information shows they started out as. Sack the lot!!! Though VBH can come and wash my car if she has the time...

EDIT:
In the interests of fairness I am currently watching the latest Fifth Gear, that informative programme on motoring and the motoring industry, and it is sooooooooooo informative watching VBH show two cricketers how to power slide a new Jag around Rockingham.
None of that TG lurching round a track in a series of aimless and time-sapping slides and spins....

Member for

13 years

One or another of my two daily papers - I can't remember which, either the Mail or the Telegraph carried the following:

"Execution is not Government policy and we have no plans to make it policy"

Downing St. spokesman.

At least some people have a sense of wry humour.

John Green