Gary speed RIP

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years

I have just heard the incredibly sad news that former footballer and current Wales manager Gary Speed has passed away aged just 42, so young! He leaves a wife and young family.
He was always thought of as a gentleman in the game and had respect from all supporters when he played. I still can't believe it.
My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Original post

Member for

18 years 3 months

I can't believe that's he's gone, especially with what the news have said as well, it's a tragedy, really is :(

Member for

16 years 6 months

Stunned. Was watching him only yesterday lunchtime on football focus. :(

Condolences to all.

Member for

13 years

I don't know why he took his own life it seemed to me he had everything to live for. Just shows that you can not go by appearances.

My thoughts are with those he has left behind and I hope they can come to terms with this horrible tradgedy.

I might be a voice in the wilderness here...but Gary who? Am I alone in never having heard of him? No, its true I'm not a football fan but I cannot help but to have heard of many of todays footballing names since they are so often in the news - and mostly for the wrong reasons.

Whilst it is desperately sad that he has taken his own life (apparently) I am saddened that this story gained so much prominence and ended up on several channels this morning as being the headline story and almost the main and ONLY story where he was described as a footballing "hero", thereby continuing the British news media's determination to cheapen the word hero.

Sorry, but yesterday afternoon a soldier of the 5th Rifles was killed in Afghanistan. The news media, now bored by such losses, didn't even mention him today although I think some TV news channls mentioned it as an afterthought or with a brief strap-line on the bottom of the screens.

Member for

16 years 8 months

I have to agree with Andy, and I follow football with interest.

Mr Speed was a very good footballer, and never in the headlines for anything other than a "positive story", but, with due respect, not a "hero".

I have sympathy for his young children and family, especially having two youngsters of my own, and he must have been in considerable despair, but that is his families concern, not a major news story for days to come.

Member for

17 years 7 months

Gary Speed was a well-respected footballer and manager of a national team. He was well-known to millions of people and as such his unexpected and tragic death is bound to be headline news.
Despite what you may think, famous and successful footballers are indeed heroes to many - they were when I was growing up and they are now. Due to their fame, they are important role models; some fall short of the mark but others, like Gary Speed, are looked up to.

Deaths in Afghanistan, while equally as tragic are also less surprising and I mean no disrespect in saying so. It is war and nearly 400 have lost their lives in the conflict but I would never disrespect the deaths of others because I hadn't heard of them.

Arthur

I am afraid that the concept and value of the word "hero" is diminished by its attachment to the likes of footballers and pop 'icons' - just my view.

I was not disrespecting his death and I do not doubt that the death of this chap is of importance to many, his family and colleagues especially. Equally, I feel sad that a life has been lost in such a manner but it just seems to me that headlines like "Nation Mourns Gary Speed" and "Football Hero Gary Speed Dies" just jar with me. Thats all. Especially given the apparent indifference to the loss of a soldier in Afghanistan at the same time.

As I write this, my number two son is serving on the front line in Afghanistan with the Queens Royal Hussars and is very much in harms way. Last week two colleagues (from another regiment) were killed when the vehicle in front of his was blown to bits. So I suppose I might just have my views on all this skewed just slightly and, as a consequence, I find the coverage of Gary Speed's self-inflicted death, (as well as prominence given to X-Factor and Michael Barrymore snorting coke) to just go against the grain rather when set in the context of all else that matters in the world right now - and I don't just mean Afghanistan.

PS - That's him, in the cockpit of P9374 as my Avatar, btw.

Member for

13 years

Andy I could not agree more with your post. I pray that your son survives unscathed in mind and body and returns safely to you! They are the true heroes with evry footstep they take in that Country!!!!!!

Thank you.

However, I do know that my son and his colleagues would be the very first to shy away from any suggestion that they are heroes. It is, I know, very far from how they perceive things to be.

Again, thanks for your comment. As a parent it is a desperately worrying time.