A strange/obscure question...

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 4 months

Hi everyone.

I'm more and more into photography these days, but unfortunately the airshow season is now done. My nearest airport is City Airport, London. I've never taken any photos there, but would like to. I am restricted to public transport.

I remember it being quite accessible from a year or so of work I did around there for a removals company, but that was about 8 years ago, and my memory is terrible. So, does anyone know of any good spots to stand to photograph incoming/outgoing a/c, and also some on the tarmac? It would have to be accessible by foot and public transport.

Also, does the landing/take-off direction vary, and is there a way of knowing what it is on any given day?

Thanks for any help.

Original post

Member for

12 years 8 months

Hi,

You can get excellent views of London City from a spot near to the Royal Albert DLR station. When you get to the station, it is easy to see where to go - a 100 yard walk (if that) down to the dockside from where you have an excellent view across the water to the airport.

The following photo was taken from there:-

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5165/5306558848_9a52b1723a_z.jpg
OO-VLP by IndiaEcho Photography, on Flickr

The Fokker is on the runway, the Avro on the apron. Plenty more photos from this location can be found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/indiaecho/

There are seats to sit on, and a snack machine by the station. Another advantage is that it is away from the airport itself, as I have heard of airport security getting rather shirty with spotters and photographers who are actually on airport property.

A yet further advantage of this spot is that it doesn't really matter which runway they are using. However, aircraft always take off into the wind, so if you know the wind direction and runway alignment (usually, but not always, East - West in the UK) you can work out which runway is being used.

Be careful when you go though - the airport is very busy weekdays 0700-0930 and 1700-1930, but it can be very quiet at other times (and closes over the weekend).

I hope this helps.

Neil

Member for

24 years 3 months

Another good place at LCY, where I used to stand to take video, is when you walk past the terminal and opposite the runway there are seats and good views of the approaching aircraft. That is the best spot for video because then you can get the aircraft as they approach, touch down and pass along the runway. You get to this bit by turning left as you come out of the terminal building.

Member for

13 years 4 months

Better information than I could have hoped for - thanks so much guys :cool:

Now I know what i'm doing on my next day off!