Ads appearing in threads

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 8 months

Can any of the mods or the webmaster elaborate on the sudden appearance of adverts, at the header, footer, and most annoyingly in between posts on threads?
Doesn't help that they are from crap like Zoosk, Fishdating, or asking if I want to charter a global jet.
Very distracting, annoying, and so far slowing down thread loading.

Original post

Member for

12 years 10 months

These sites are all commecial ventures , & as such are also used as revenue earners for their owners. look upon it as ITV --the cash enables you to use this site & helps pay for its upkeep & future upgrades ....grin & bear it --or do without !!

Member for

16 years 8 months

mm right, but we didn't have them until today, and they are tacky.
Surely if Key Publishing has kept a forum going for 11+ years on the sponsoring and ads they did have there isn't a need to resort to the latest ad style?
Also one would have expected an announcement to changes in the forum layout?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Also one would have expected an announcement to changes in the forum layout?

What an odd expectation :confused:

Member for

14 years 2 months

mm right, but we didn't have them until today, and they are tacky.

I didn't think it was me going batty, and that they had just popped up today unannounced and unwanted!

Note to the advertisers: personally, I find the adverts an irritating diversion to what I (frequently) visit this forum for, and am therefore less likely to use/buy whatever goods/services you're peddling out of principle. :mad:

A couple of adverts in the header pertinent to an aviation forum is fine; However I object to offers to improve my poetry, publish books I haven't written nor intend to write, provide travel insurance I don't need because I'm not travelling, or introduce me to online dating because Mrs Blue_2 would kill me dead!

Please, take this meaningless tat away. It's slowing down the forum and spoiling it :(

Member for

15 years 10 months

Maybe a pain to some but it's better than the forum being wound up

Maybe a pain to some but it's better than the forum being wound up.

There is an economic recession on unless someone knows something I don't and revenues are revenues if legally sourced.

Any bad economic recession is like a real war except worse as the attack is on everyone's purse. I guess we all have to endure it.

Maybe if the complaints are kept in a positive light the Techs may (with an emphasis on the word may) be able to do something to optimise the adverts/pop ups to not cause a severe impact on bandwidth, but there again that may be expense that isn't within budget as they (unless not so nice hackers) don't come cheap.

Member for

20 years 10 months

Easy way round this annoyance, use Firefox and get the add on AdBlock Plus, bingo no-ads

Member for

20 years

Quite so.

I see no ads. :)

Member for

24 years 3 months

I really don't care about the ads. I use both a cheaper end of the range laptop and a cheaper end of the range PC. The ads have affected the performance of neither. Have I read the ads or been tempted to buy anything because of them? No. But if these ads are the price we have to pay for the continuing provision of these fora by Key then I have no problem with that whatsoever. Unless of course everyone would like for it to be a pay site?

It's a fantastic resource and one we all cherish. I doubt, in these financially challenging times, that the sales of any of Key's publications has risen, in fact I suspect the opposite to be true. So congratulations to Key for taking the steps necessary for the continuing provision of these fora rather than just pulling the plug on the whole thing.

Regards,

kev35

Member for

16 years 8 months

What an odd expectation :confused:

Ah, I see, so members come fairly low in priorities then.
Just thought a forum announcement, as happens elsewhere, might have surficed.
Also completely agree with Blue about the ad content.
If needs must then I can entirely get that advertising like this is warranted, but I haven't seen that explained by anyone yet.

Member for

13 years 9 months

Ah, I see, so members come fairly low in priorities then.

Im surprised that you're even remotely shocked about this James...:rolleyes:

Member for

24 years 3 months

But surely Pagen, the whole point is that Key shouldn't NEED to explain anything. We have no right, nor even necessity for an explanation of Key's actions. We're all supposed to be sensible people, you admit yourself to seeing why this course of action has been taken.

I bet sometimes that those who inhabit the desks in the lofty heights of Key Towers wonder why they bother.

Regards,

kev35

Member for

24 years 3 months

The webmaster is constantly working on the forum and its effectiveness.

Would you rather he made a prissy little announcement of each one, or just got on with it? It's not as if the appearance of the ads was kept secret, we all saw them appear on the same day.

Do tell me what benefit would have been derived from knowing the day before?

Moggy

Member for

24 years 3 months

Do tell me what benefit would have been derived from knowing the day before?

Moggy

It would have given those with a mind to more opportunity to prepare a rant?

Regards,

kev35

Member for

16 years 8 months

Well my pages slowed up, so I could have expected that for a start.
And let's not get silly Moggy, I haven't asked for an anouncement for every fart or action, nor have I said that they need to explain their actions (Kev), I was just asking a question or two, and slightly surprised at a moderators response really - as Muttley says perhaps a little naively.

Member for

16 years 8 months

Kev you can say what you like, my original question was not a rant, my retort to a pi5s poor response from a mod, maybe.

Member for

24 years 3 months

It would have given those with a mind to more opportunity to prepare a rant?

I had completely missed that angle Kev.

Moggy

Member for

24 years 3 months

Kev you can say what you like.....

Thank you ;)

Regards,

kev35

Member for

14 years 5 months

I find them quite amusing. They really shouldn't put a "Rate my Picture" setting on some of those dating sites... :diablo::diablo:

Member for

14 years 6 months

Kev - the whole point is that Key shouldn't NEED to explain anything. We have no right, nor even necessity for an explanation of Key's actions.

No we certainly have no right, but since I presume the Forum is for the benefit of its members, as opposed to the publishers, it would be nice to think that the members views would have been considered. Or perhaps I am being naive.

If the assumption is correct, that the ads are here in order to enable the Forum to continue, it would be comforting to know.

Member for

24 years 3 months

If the assumption is correct, that the ads are here in order to enable the Forum to continue, it would be comforting to know.

Is there any alternative explanation?

Moggy