New of the World and the Milly Dowler murder

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 2 months

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14024668

If this is true and is as is being described in the media the News of the World should be closed down. I know we need a free press but this ???

Disgracefull, disgusting, i cant think of words to describe my feelings.

Original post

Member for

14 years 6 months

Your first four words are important. Let's await the evidence proving the claims. If it is true then the individuals responsible, their superiors and the then Editor shoild be prosecuted and at the same time be suspended from their current positions within NewsCorp.

Closing the newspaper is not the answer because it does not achieve anything and plays into the hands of the anti-free press brigade.

Member for

15 years 2 months

Proverbial hits the fan with more revelations over on CH4 around NOTW "checking up" on a senior policeman .

Why not close them? if this was a TV news/documentary programme it would be taken off the airwaves quicker than you could blink !

After all its just another outlet for Murdockworld, so its not as if their "message" will be lost !

Member for

24 years 3 months

Your first four words are important. Let's await the evidence proving the claims.

Is it not the case that the 'detective' hired by the execrable rag has already apologised for the hacking he did under pressure from NoW? Or did I hear it wrong?

Scum.

Moggy

Member for

14 years 6 months

This one really is going to run and run so I'll sit bak to see just how much dirt is raked up. At that point resignations need to be given and prosecutions considered. The ex-editor should have resigned by now anyway. If the outcome is the weakening of Murdoch's unfathomable hold over our political elite then so much the better.

Member for

24 years 3 months

If the claims in the BBC link are true then I think we are missing an important point here. Everyone appears to be concentrating on this as a means to attack Murdoch. Surely the most important thing is that as the Police were carrying out an investigation into a missing person, one individual, whether under orders from the Murdoch Empire or not, was not only listening to voicemail messages but was actively deleting some of them. Surely there must be a whole raft of charges this individual must be facing before anyone even thinks of the wider implications of these revelations?

And what of the Dowler family? It seems likely she was already dead before all these shenanigans started but what if she wasn't and the interference from this hacker had gone on to seriously jeopardise her safety? As if the Dowler's haven't lost enough in losing Milly they were subjected to hostile treatment at her trial and now have to face continuing revelations about media interference.

It's just one tragedy after another.

Regards,

kev35

Member for

14 years 6 months

If I gave that impresssion in my posts it was unintentional. I wholeheartedly endorse the last sentence of your first paragraph, which is why I referred to prosecutions in an earlier post.

And as for the Dowler family - their situation is appalling. And now we are hearing that the mobile of a parent of one of the 7/7 victims was hacked. How much more do we not yet know?

As you say, Kev, it is one tragedy upon another and I only hope that the full weight of the law is brought to bear on ALL those who are found culpable.

Member for

24 years 3 months

And now on Sky they are suggesting that every child abduction and murder since 2001 is being investigated for evidence of phone hacking.

It just gets worse minute by minute, the Sky reporter just stating that revelations have now reached avalanche proportions.

Regards,

kev35

Member for

14 years 6 months

Words fail me......I find it impossible to believe what we are hearing.

Member for

20 years

Words fail me......I find it impossible to believe what we are hearing.

I wish I could find it impossible to believe. :mad:

As Stanley Baldwin said (quoting his famous cousin): "What the proprietorship of these papers is aiming at is power, and power without responsibility - the prerogative of the harlot through the ages."

Has it ever seemed more true?

Member for

14 years 6 months

Was that Kipling? About whom was he commenting - Beaverbrook? Whomever it was, it remains truer than ever.

Member for

15 years 2 months

Kev, you are right.

The effect of these actions on the Dowler family , and by the sounds of it many,many other families who have gone through the hell of losing a child or relative, is what should be concentrated on and not the chance to get at Murdoch. If I created the impression that the latter was more important I apologise. My concerns would be with the families and what could be done to ensure something like this never happens again.

I can see how some journalists would feel pressurised by their bosses into doing illegal stuff , some would do it as a career move to acheive "targets" but that is still no excuse for forgetting the difference between right and wrong. The shame is that such pressures are a common management practice in many parts of the business world.

Member for

14 years 6 months

Picking up on that last point. Any journalist who accepts that pressure to further his own career is to be despised. It is exactly that which has degraded the standards of the "profession" and management pressures would soon be withdrawn if they were resisted. Sorry, but it is inexcusable.

Member for

14 years 2 months

The Soham murders, the tube bombings, the McCanns, the list seems to be endless.

And spot the odd one out.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/339175816.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1309949913&Signature=xYauQrGOLllcrfnHImfFnXZ%2B77k%3D

Member for

14 years 6 months

Absolutely right and I briefly heard an ex-journalist, whose name I did not catch, saying how reprehensible the phone hacking was but that certain things were acceptable and practised by him, one of which included paying the police for information. I was amazed that the interviewer made no comment. But then he is a journalist!!!:(

I sense that an extremely large can of worms is in the process of being opened.

Member for

14 years 6 months

Inkworm - you omitted The Times - what was on its front page? Mind you Sky has not been slow to fill the airwaves with the story!

Member for

24 years 3 months

pagen.

I fear that the problem here is that by the time all these revelations are made (if they ever are) we will be looking at aspects of aspects and that this practice by the NoTW (and any others who come to light)will have permeated society so deeply that the public will forever be distrustful of the media and maybe even the Police. I'm sure there are quite a number of people in authority who not only need to scrutinise their consciences but will be having a damned good look at their personal finances too.You scratch the surface deeply enough and peiople bleed, I expect there will be a fair amount of blood letting before all this reaches a conclusion. I nearly said satisfactory conclusion but I doubt there can ever be one.

Regards,

Kev35

Member for

20 years

Was that Kipling?
The famous cousin? Yes. :)

Member for

24 years 3 months

Rudyard or the maker of exceedingly good cakes?

Regards,

kev35

Member for

17 years 6 months

The famous cousin? Yes. :)

The one who made exceedingly good pies?

Ford are doing the right thing, the more that jump ship will make the paper fail, the advertising revenue is probably the only thing keeping them viable as a tacky rag.

Dammit kev you beat me .... :(

Member for

20 years

Rudyard or the maker of exceedingly good cakes?

You can kipple as ruddy 'ard as you see fit, Kev.

They can't touch you for it.