Dad's Army!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Given the large number of folks from Great Britain that frequent these forums, I figured here was as good a place to ask as any.

1. Have you seen and/or are you a fan of this hilarious show? (I presume given the massive popularity of the series that most of you know are well aware of it.)

2. I searched all over Amazon (both the American and British sites), and did a few google searches, and I can't find out if the series is available on Region 1 DVD's? (i.e. the full series). Does anyone know? I would absolutely love to have this series on DVD, as I find it absolutely hysterical!

Help a concerned friend from across the pond! :)

Original post

Member for

14 years 5 months

Yes - watched it time and time again as I reckon many on here will have done. Region 1 DVD???

Member for

16 years 7 months

It's a total classic, the British laughing at ourselves, in one of the most desperate times in modern history. So many classic characters and actors who portray them. Mostly all now sadly departed.

Member for

16 years 7 months

PhantomII;1747869 I searched all over Amazon (both the American and British sites), and did a few google searches, and I can't find out if the series is available on Region 1 DVD's? (i.e. the full series). Does anyone know?

Don't tell him Pyke! :D

ah you vill also go in ze book.

Member for

18 years 8 months

One of the Actors in 'Dad's Army' had a clause in his contract which stated that he would neither lose his trousers nor have a bomb put down them in any episode. Who was it?

Which member of the platoon is ostracized by the others when they discover that he had been a conscientious Objector during the First World war?

Member for

14 years 4 months

Dads Army DVD set.

I have a BBC boxed set of the First Five Series comprising 8 discs.Set no. is BBCDVD2260.Individual Nos are :-BBCDVD1368 : BBCDVD1577 : BBCDVD1597 : BBC1598. They were a present several years ago.The early ones are in Black @ white.I don't know if they are still available.
Colin.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Which member of the platoon is ostracized by the others when they discover that he had been a conscientious Objector during the First World war?

Private Godfrey, who had in fact been awarded the Military Medal whilst acting as a stretcher bearer on the Western Front. Arnold Ridley, who played Godfrey, was I believe wounded in both the First and Second World Wars.

PII. I have the complete boxed set but I think it is Region 2. Dad's Army remains a joy to this day with, as others have suggested, that canny knack of taking the mickey out of ourselves interspersed with moments of true pathos. The episode 'Battle for Godfrey's Cottage' springs to mind.

Here's to the Cardinal Puff!

Regards,

kev35

Member for

18 years 6 months

Laviticus. The first is Arthur Lowe and the second is Private Godfrey.

Member for

15 years 10 months

Private Godfrey, who had in fact been awarded the Military Medal whilst acting as a stretcher bearer on the Western Front. Arnold Ridley, who played Godfrey, was I believe wounded in both the First and Second World Wars.

He also wrote "The Ghost Train"

Watched Dads Army the first time around & have since seem just about every episode many times, but still watch it when it's repeated on TV.

Classic British comedy at its very best :cool:

Member for

24 years 2 months

Classic British humour, superbly written and cast. Still funny after all these years.

Member for

15 years 10 months

ah you vill also go in ze book.

funny old thing, that very episode is on BBC2 now :D

Member for

16 years 7 months

Brilliant, and quite subtle, British humour!:)

The old chap next door to me was in the Home Guard, or real 'Dads Army', while he was in his early 20s as he was deemed medically unfit for regular Army (I always wondered about the younger characters in the series until then), some of his tales make the ones in the series seem normal!

Member for

18 years 7 months

One of the few comedies IMHO that not only stands the test of time but perhaps even improves with age; maybe because it's a kind of snapshot of Britain during those dark early days of WWII, and all the more authentic because it was made when people could still recall how things really were then. One of my favourite themes was the relationship between Mainwaring and Wilson, ie Capt Mainwaring's simmering jealousy of Wilson's social connections and his having been a "proper" officer in the Great War. Loved the way soft-hearted old Sgt Wilson would say to the men "I say chaps, would you mind awfully falling-in? Thank you so much, very kind" and Mainwaring would take his glases off and rub his eyes in that despairing way. Great stuff, never tire of watching it.

Member for

16 years 7 months

Agreed, the other thing is just how utterly polished Dads Army seems to be in acting and production terms - almost like every episode is a miniature film.
I love most sitcoms and many suffer various problems, one of my favourites is Fawlty Towers but it suffers terribly from bad production and to a lesser degree some poor acting from support cast - but the writing and lead cast make it.

Member for

15 years 7 months

Dad's Army was so much better than the later 'Hallo, Hallo' WWII comedy series. Perhaps worth noting there was a movie made of 'Dad's Army', too, same cast as I remember, in the cinemas in 1971.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I was looking into making my DVD player region free, but I got to wondering what the negative side effects would be....It's a Blu-Ray player, and I think firmware updates have to be applied at times.

I wonder though if I could make it region free without affecting stuff like that.

On another note, I seem to have set off quite a discussion about the show. I can't say it surprises me how many of you enjoy it, and just so you know there are those on the other side of the pond who enjoy it as well. My favorite quote from the series is a short one:

"Stupid boy." :)

Member for

19 years 11 months

Don't tell them Pike!!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Looks like that might be my only hope unless I jail break my Blu-Ray player. I was always hoping to never have to do stuff like this, but I need to be able to watch this show again. It's so funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V3SqxUomwk

Member for

15 years 1 month

I cant stop watching Dad's Army even though i have probably seen each episode 5 or 6 times !! As an aside wasnt there an American version as well set in the US ?