So, AV, PR, or CBA ?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 7 months

I started to read up on the AV process ready for May 5th, its not PR, if anything to my uneducated eye it seems worse... any news, view or opinions ?

Original post

Member for

13 years 9 months

Well, for what it's worth, and it's only MY OPINION, but, if your in a race of any sort, the one who is FIRST past the post, winning line, is the winner.

Lincoln .7

Member for

13 years 8 months

Quite True!...

Lincoln, For the first time I can think of, I totally agree

Member for

19 years 6 months

Well, for what it's worth, and it's only MY OPINION, but, if your in a race of any sort, the one who is FIRST past the post, winning line, is the winner.

Lincoln .7

Even if the 'winner' represents only 29% of the votes cast? FPTP means that essentially that largest minority rules the roost in each constituency.

I know that there has to be some point where a winner is declared, but it seems to me that the winner should have a majority.

I thought that this video summed it up nicely:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7tWHJfhiyo

Member for

13 years 9 months

Lincoln, For the first time I can think of, I totally agree

AND, I was right, as most voted against it! ;)

Lincoln .7

Member for

14 years 5 months

I don't think AV ever had a prayer, did it?

Member for

13 years 9 months

I don't think AV ever had a prayer, did it?

If ever it did Pete, it fell on deaf ears, I.M.H.O. I think polititions are finaly realising that we are not as stupid as they first thought we were.
Jim.

Lincoln .7

Member for

24 years 2 months

Or perhaps they rely on our stupidity, or rather apathy. With turnout averages for General Elections dropping from 80% forty or so years ago to 65% in 2010 (it was lower in 2001). Are we really naive enough to think that the general apathy engendered by our politicians isn't a deliberate tactic? The less people that bother to vote, then the less people there are to please when they are on the campaign trail. Take this recent election. I live in a deprived area and I don't know of one single candidate who knocked on my door.

Regards,

kev35

Member for

13 years 9 months

Or perhaps they rely on our stupidity, or rather apathy. With turnout averages for General Elections dropping from 80% forty or so years ago to 65% in 2010 (it was lower in 2001). Are we really naive enough to think that the general apathy engendered by our politicians isn't a deliberate tactic? The less people that bother to vote, then the less people there are to please when they are on the campaign trail. Take this recent election. I live in a deprived area and I don't know of one single candidate who knocked on my door.

Regards,

kev35

Well Kev. Miracles do happen then, because I fully agree with your comments on this.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

14 years 5 months

Kev - I don't live in a deprived area and no one knocked on my door either.....I think the apathy is due to the fact that many people do not believe their vote will make any difference. AV had everything to do with the coalition stitch up and nothing to do with a genuine desire for electoral reform. Those that want it want PR, those that don't want the status quo, so AV was always going to fall between the two stools.

Member for

13 years 9 months

[QUOTE=Sky High;1741841]Kev - I don't live in a deprived area and no one knocked on my door either.....Pete, don't you mean depraved area??if so, thats the reason why :D

Lincoln .7

:diablo:

Member for

14 years 5 months

If only............;)

Member for

24 years 2 months

It's not just apathy about PR, AV, Europe or any other issue. I suspect it is apathy towards politics itself. Politicians just do not engage the electorate any more. They try to do enough to maintain their position and no more. Councils are just as bad. I've been to a council meeting where in the middle of a heartfelt plea being made by a member of the public, the meeting was interrupted by a council member on a 'point of order.' That really important interruption was to enquire of the chairman why there were no chocolate hob-nobs.

For politicians to have any use they have to respect the public, the people who keep them there. They have to earn the respect of the people by engaging them in politics and being seen to SERVE the interests of their constituencies. That's not done by fiddling their expenses to the extent that some of them have ended up in prison.

Regards,

kev35

Member for

14 years 5 months

I don't think I could disagree with any of what you say. Excuse the burst of laughter as I was reading your post, but is the hobnob story really true?

Member for

13 years 9 months

That's not done by fiddling their expenses to the extent that some of them have ended up in prison.

Regards,

kev35

And they are the ones they have caught, I suspect they were "Caught" just to be made an example of, and they are still fiddling whilst England burns.
I know it could never happen, but I would love to see it so that the winning party were made, nay forced to keep the promises WE elected them in for, even a few tid bits to show they realy did listen to us, and are prepared to act, would be some sort of gesture.
Jim.

Lincoln .7

Member for

24 years 2 months

Sadly, the chocolate hobnob story is indeed the absolute truth.

Regards,

kev35

Member for

14 years 5 months

It somehow characterises the priorities of many local councillors.