Holidays in Switzerland

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 7 months

Anyone been there? Quite fancy the lakes, mountains, scenic railway rides etc, but from initial research it seems a bit expensive, especially with 2 young kids. Can anyone offer any advice or tips, please? Thanks.

Original post

Member for

14 years 5 months

Haven't been for a while, but on the plus side - beautiful scenery, well ordered, clean, good wine, good food, efficient public transport. On the minus side - cost. Currently only about 1.50 SFR to the £ and when I was there is was closer to 2.00, so I reckon it will seem much dearer now.

Member for

18 years 11 months

Germany would be cheaper, museums, castles, scenery, food, depends on the age of your children! :)

Member for

15 years 11 months

Switzerland just love it, but like they say expensive! but where is not these days.:)

Member for

14 years

Expensive, but one budgets to suit.
Stunningly beautiful, air so fresh that it cuts.
Clean, classy. Respectful people. No litter.
Good beer (OK it's Lager but we can't have it all), superb food and of course Chocolate.......sometimes stupidly expensive!!!! And I mean £10 EACH. Yes, I did say ten quid each. I'd want it melted onto Kylie Minogue for that.
That's the adults happily sorted.

For the kids? Not much at all.
No matter how much you tell the kids all the above, it's not on their agenda for a holiday.
Personally, I pick (Try to (1)) my holidays for my kids, I'll relax with their laughter and happiness.

(1). Last year, Northern France. BAD idea. Whilst I loved seeing the V2 factories, War museums etc. the nipper didn't. And the agricultural backwardness of the whole area made it a dull place for the kids.
The drive to Disneyland didn't improve matters, the two rides he wanted to go on were broken. Then it rained.
Up the Eifel was a good day though.

Member for

18 years 7 months

Just to say thanks for the replies folks. Think we'll have to look at it again when the lads are a bit older.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I have visited Montreux, which was where we stayed, and we then went on trips using their public transport. If you are a person that's into trains, I'm not particularly, they are something to see and travel on. Their public transport and roads make our systems look positively archaic, and their bus services and modern clean vehicles are superb. Scenery, as others have pointed out, takes your breath away, but the whole place is very expensive, and we found that on occasion, the Swiss can be 'snooty'. I have no children, but I think that a family hol there would be something you'd have to think about first. However, the Rhineland and the Taunus Mountains in Germany were almost as good, and a lot cheaper!