Where have we gone wrong?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 10 months

Last night, I was again whipped into Hospital, Pilgrim at Boston, Lincs.
I was placed in a cubical, and had a good view of the central area where all the staff, went to and fro, I was seen by Two consultants, lost count of the nurses, and two general surgeons.This was not my "Usual" hospital.
I could see several comp monitors, and to me it seemed that everyone was filling in forms and seemingly transferring that onto the comps.

I am not surprised from what I saw that the NHS has long waiting lists,I was seen by a Junior Dr, and he would have worked nearly 95 hrs this week!!
If the surgeons also have to work such long hours, no wonder mistakes are made.
In the 5 and a half hrs I was in there, I saw most, if not all, doing paper work, or filling details onto the comps.When in my opinion, they could be doing what nurses are meant to do, and be on the wards.
What, apart from pumping more money into the NHS, could be done, to take some of the strain off Drs, Nurses, Surgeons etc, which I.M.H.O. would make them more efficiant?, all the people who attended me, also I saw were filling in forms, and then on the comps, there was a 2 and a half hours waiting time.
also.

Lincoln .7
:(

Original post

Member for

15 years 2 months

Sorry to hear you went to hospital last night. I hope you're feeling better.

Member for

14 years 2 months

Sorry to hear you were taken ill again, but if you're on here it can't have been all bad.

Regarding the NHS, sadly we now live in a claim culture and one of targets so everything has to be recorded and quantified just in case something did go wrong.

My wife works in the NHS and some of the tales I hear of wastage and treatment of staff are shocking.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Not an answer to your question, but I have over the last two years become involved in working with parts of the NHS

There is nothing so wasteful and money-soaking as the PCTs.

Vast offices filled with earnest people working away at computers with not a nurse, doctor or patient in sight.

Their only relief from the stress they are under being to attend meetings en-masse and decide not to decide anything.

They are supposed to be scrapped soon. It can't be soon enough, trust me.

Good luck L7

Moggy

Member for

17 years 1 month

The world we live in:

If something happens to you, then it's someone else's fault and they should be made to pay.

So conversely, if anyone is doing anything for you they must always be thinking "If and when this person takes me to court, what evidence will I need to prove that its not my fault".

So the audit trail must be 100% bulletproof at all times. 99.9% of the time it's all a waste of effort, but in that 0.01% of times you need it boy are you glad that you've got it.

Blame the Lawyers.

Member for

13 years 10 months

Sorry to hear you were taken ill again, but if you're on here it can't have been all bad.

Regarding the NHS, sadly we now live in a claim culture and one of targets so everything has to be recorded and quantified just in case something did go wrong.

My wife works in the NHS and some of the tales I hear of wastage and treatment of staff are shocking.

I suppose you could call the retention of 6ltrs(Thats what they drained, plus the bladder pressing on my kidneys, you aought to try it and then tell me it couldn't be that bad. The same thing happened today, but to save waiting at hospital, I went to my Drs. the catheter that was changed a week ago had POSSIBLY according to those who know, had induced a very agressive infection, which was strippiing the skin off my bladder and releasing blood.I imediately was treated by my Dr as a case of high priority, due to the pain level, and a new catheter was placed in 3lts of blood etc was released.The pain went immediately.
Just because I am on here tonight is thanks to all the Drs, nurses, surgeons, and Consultants who worked on me.
Believe me Bro, it's more than painfull!!

Lincoln .7

Member for

13 years 6 months

Its the same as education and aviation maintenance. The paperwork for each to function must, in order:

1. Equal the combine weight of the entire class (including all equipment) to allow learning to happen

2. Equal the weight of the aircaft before it is allowed to leave the hangar

Member for

13 years 10 months

Sorry to hear you went to hospital last night. I hope you're feeling better.

Thanks EGTC was painful, but this evening it's abated thanks.

Lincoln .7

Member for

13 years 10 months

The world we live in:

If something happens to you, then it's someone else's fault and they should be made to pay.

So conversely, if anyone is doing anything for you they must always be thinking "If and when this person takes me to court, what evidence will I need to prove that its not my fault".

So the audit trail must be 100% bulletproof at all times. 99.9% of the time it's all a waste of effort, but in that 0.01% of times you need it boy are you glad that you've got it.

Blame the Lawyers.

Hi. I could no doubt take a certain Surgeon to Court who recently operated on me because he has left me with permanent C.R.P.S. but the Op he did saved my life, I just pass it off as collateral damage, theres too much of everyone suing any one for anything.
I know I owe the NHS staff, from top to bottom, my life many times over.

Lincoln .7

Member for

15 years 2 months

Thanks EGTC was painful, but this evening it's abated thanks.

Lincoln .7

Gosh. I hope you get well soon.

Member for

14 years 2 months

I am sorry if my post was a bit too light hearted and flippant and the humour was a little misdirected, I genuinely did not know the seriousness of your condition and do hope that you make a swift and speedy recovery.

Member for

13 years 10 months

I am sorry if my post was a bit too light hearted and flippant and the humour was a little misdirected, I genuinely did not know the seriousness of your condition and do hope that you make a swift and speedy recovery.

Hi inkworm. no problem, possibly would have put the same. However, I wouldnt wish it on anyone. I read it, inwardly laughed and decided to say why it was so painfull.
Just forget it, lifes too short to be apologising. we all slip up now and again.

Lincoln .7 ;)