E.M.P.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 9 months

Just watched a film, where an atomic? bomb went off, and released an Electro Magnetic Pulse, which aparrently disables all electronics within a "Radius".

Theoreticaly, would it be possible to build a machine, small enough to be portable or able to be mounted on a vehicle. Certainly would be handy whereby fly by wire aircraft could be downed simply by frying all their electronics.

Lincoln. 7.

Original post

Member for

16 years 7 months

and then hold the world to ransom from your secret base under an active volcano only to be thwarted by a scottish bloke in a tuxedo?;)

Member for

13 years 9 months

Like Errrrrrrrr your behind the times buddy, it's Daniel Craig, from Chester, Cheshire, not a Scottish chap, Like well, who else but the great Shaun Connery.:p

Lincoln .7

Member for

14 years 5 months

Nope - he just isn't Bond for me or as Fleming wrote him.....I would guess that some form of cyberwarfare is more realistically likely and will probably be a reality within our lifetime......:(

Member for

13 years 9 months

Nope - he just isn't Bond for me or as Fleming wrote him.....I would guess that some form of cyberwarfare is more realistically likely and will probably be a reality within our lifetime......:(

S.H. Jason Statham. would make a great James Bond, I.M.H.O. Cyberwarefare, it's all up in the air to me.

Lincoln .7

Member for

13 years 5 months

EMP: Old weapons like this were Low yield nuclear bomb detonated at high altitude (stratosphere). Will kill all electrics within a few miles. Devices like that were to be the Soviet and Allied first strike which would mean that further missiles and bombers could not be tracked. Sound strategic sence. If you strapped one to the roof of your car, you'd be slightly killed.

These days, all you need to do is generate an EMF (using an electromagnet) to induce big voltages in little systems = overload. You can save your circuits by constructing a faraday cage around them....

and yes, you could strap one to the roof of your car....
http://www.raytheon.com/newsroom/feature/ads_03-08/

Member for

13 years 9 months

"You would be "Slightly" killed, L.O.L.
Has this weapon been deployed in Afghanistan or other war zones, or is it still in the early stages of development, certainly interesting reading, thanks.

Lincoln .7

Member for

13 years 5 months

mildly vapourised.

somewhat obliterated.

It'd ruin your day, that's for sure.....

Member for

14 years

That Raytheon kit is Line-of-sight close proximity defence.

If you want to zap the electronics of the enemy, there are plenty of ways of doing that, but for the roof of your car there are developments of the RCIED (A Zapper of IED's by transmission of RF). These are available for the public, well non-military.
The military have far superior version in both mounted and dismounted form, and obviously they have far more ability than taking out an IED.

IIRC, on EMP, the Beautiful B52 continued to use Valve systems in its Electronics until way after the Vietnam tussle despite "Solid state" kit being available.
Valves did not shut down with EMP.

Member for

17 years 5 months

Lincoln, most military stuff is hardened to resist the effects,

A Tornado early on in its history had uncontrolled command inputs into the main flight systems due to flying close to a large aerial mast, but again like the nuke this too would be flawed, as you would not be able to drive under any low bridges with 190 ft of mast strapped to the roof rack.

Member for

13 years 9 months

Lincoln, most military stuff is hardened to resist the effects,

A Tornado early on in its history had uncontrolled command inputs into the main flight systems due to flying close to a large aerial mast, but again like the nuke this too would be flawed, as you would not be able to drive under any low bridges with 190 ft of mast strapped to the roof rack.

Hi. Sorry to appear thick, but when you say hardened, do you mean the electronics are shielded?.
As regards the mast, probably the same as the old barrage baloons,a good deterrant.for not flying low.
Lincoln .7