Love thy neighbour.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 9 months

A couple of nights ago I watched a "NEW" dvd I had purchased, of a series I used to watch and have a good laugh at.It was "Love thy neighbour"
For those of you that remember, do you think it would be innapropriate, to repeate the series and if so why, what went wrong?.
Lincoln. 7

Original post

Member for

19 years 11 months

Yes, because it was never all that funny. Humour that depends on stereotyping never ages well.

It was tawdry racist ****e as well, but each to their own.

Got the reaction you were looking for now?

Member for

14 years 5 months

I never saw it and it sounds as though its humour was based on racial stereotyping so of course it could never be shown or remade now.

Member for

13 years 9 months

G.A.With repect, I Think, in my mind you got the wrong end of the stick, it wasnt meant to draw racist remarks, and am rather surprised at your reply ie."Got the reaction you were looking for" as your reply was not the sort of reply I was looking for.
As you state, each to his own, I was looking for a sensible reply as to how we once accepted programs like that then, but it's now classed as racist, and why.
Lincoln .7

Member for

13 years 11 months

intresting !! you had to understand it and be free of all the pc nonsense that everyone is telling you how to think !!

there was an interview with rudolph walker ( bill ) on TV a couple of years ago

and i quote from him " if you can actualy think and observe , it was actualy the white guy eddie that was the but of the joke by showing his ignorance . ! "

" if anything it was me that always ended up comming out better , but few see it that way as they go appopleptic as soon as they hear stuff like nig nog !"

Member for

13 years 11 months

going off on a tangent , the black and white minstrels of the same era

that was banned or at least not made anymore because of the makeup

but the makeup had a very realistic part in stage history

that went back to theatres being a lot less well lit and black actors singers were actualy made up that way not as a racist thing

but so people in the theatre could genuinely see facial expressions

Member for

13 years 9 months

tornado 64.
I think I should have worded the post better.
But your thinking is/ was the same as mine inasmuch as that was what I was looking for, certainly nothing racist.
Lincoln .7

Member for

13 years 11 months

in answer to the question though , no it shouldn't be repeated

not because it wasn't good , it was bearable and definately " of the time "

but watchable and i enjoyed it at the time

to be honnest i think eastenders was a downward slope for him as he is a superb actor !!

but in todays world most don't have an oppinion unless a government body or a millitant group has given it too them

sad realy but for a large part of uk society true !!

Member for

13 years 9 months

tornado 64 If it's one thing I cannot stand it's SOAPS, all of them, I honestly beleive some folks recon that they are real, even to the extent that when one of the cast "Dies" viewers send cards of condolences.
No, give me factuall documentaries anytime.

Lincoln .7

Member for

14 years

Clips are often used in Open Uni. programes to highlight the way racist views have changed.
...or have they? It's not allowed on the public broadcast system, but I hear just as much racism these days as in 1970's. Very especially against the Arabian or ''istan nations.

And, the other thread wa closed before I could answer a repulse of a personal insult to me, from somebody that once knew better.
Yes, I know it's Downs, and I know why it was originally Mongol.
I've had enough kids - thus tests - to search for it. My language hasn't caught up with the times, that's all.
As for the other insult, well, if that's your level, you play there.

Member for

15 years

I grew up with the terms mongol and spastic in common usage to refer to these two particular disabilities.
Christmas card envelopes were always embellished with colourful stickers urging you to " Help spastics ",and I remember people referring to mongol babies as recently as the late 1970s.
It wasn't until they began to be used as terms of abuse by schoolchildren that the actual medical titles became preferred,so personally I wouldn't see anything offensive in a reference to Mongolism - which incidentally is a reference to facial features.The definition quoted in the other thread dates from the days when the white races felt themselve to be intrinsically superior to others.
I think a lot depends on your age.Anyone who's only been around since the proper terms were used probably finds the old names shocking.I'm guessing PeeDee is of somewhat older vintage like me,so he doesn't.
I never thought Love Thy Neighbour was funny,not because it was racist,it just wasn't funny.

Member for

24 years 2 months

BumbleBee.

I too remember the Spastics Society and people with Downs referred to as Mongols. I also remember at school when anyone who was clumsy or lacking in sporting ability was referred to as a 'spazzer.' I also remember seeing in the notes of people with Downs the abbreviations NWBW, NWOT and DWYT.* It's all to do with moving with the times. In the 1890's, people with what we would now see as dementia were labelled, officially and medically, as imbeciles and thrown into institutions to die. Which is exactly what would have happened to your Mother and my Father, we wouldn't dream of that now.

NWBW = Not Worth Bothering With.
NWOT = Not Worthy Of Treatment.
DWYT = Don't Waste Your Time.

There are numerous variations on the above theme but those are just three that I can recall.

PeeDee.

You felt insulted by me? I feel insulted by the tone, language and content of the majority of your posts. You wrote....

"I've had enough kids - thus tests - to search for it. My language hasn't caught up with the times, that's all."

Amniocentesis is for Down's Syndrome and other neural tube defects such as hydrocephaly and anencephaly. I don't think the term Mongolism was still in medical usage when these tests became routine so your excuse that your language hasn't caught up with the times is, well, just that, an excuse.

PeeDee, you either really don't think before you post, or the internet brings out something of the bigot in you.

As for the OP's original question regarding Love Thy Neighbour, yes, I am of an age to remember it. While it is true to say that the 'white honky' usually ended up as the butt of any joke, it is also true, for me personally, to say that whatever joke he unded up as the butt of was very thin.

Regards,

kev35

Member for

13 years 9 months

Kev. I have just about lived in Hospitals this last year or two, and can state quite catagoricaly that those nemonics are still used today, along with a few choice others, if the patient is elderly it gets even worse.
My advice, don't get old, cos no one wants to know you, you are too old to bother about, unless one is private, and thats just about the only reason why I would like to win just an amount on the National Lottery to see me through my last remaining years as a private patient.

Bit of a B***** when money takes priority over health.

Lincoln .7

Member for

14 years

BumbleBee.

I too remember the Spastics Society and people with Downs referred to as Mongols. I also remember at school when anyone who was clumsy or lacking in sporting ability was referred to as a 'spazzer.' I also remember seeing in the notes of people with Downs the abbreviations NWBW, NWOT and DWYT.* It's all to do with moving with the times. In the 1890's, people with what we would now see as dementia were labelled, officially and medically, as imbeciles and thrown into institutions to die. Which is exactly what would have happened to your Mother and my Father, we wouldn't dream of that now.

NWBW = Not Worth Bothering With.
NWOT = Not Worthy Of Treatment.
DWYT = Don't Waste Your Time.

There are numerous variations on the above theme but those are just three that I can recall.

PeeDee.

You felt insulted by me? I feel insulted by the tone, language and content of the majority of your posts. You wrote....

"I've had enough kids - thus tests - to search for it. My language hasn't caught up with the times, that's all."

Amniocentesis is for Down's Syndrome and other neural tube defects such as hydrocephaly and anencephaly. I don't think the term Mongolism was still in medical usage when these tests became routine so your excuse that your language hasn't caught up with the times is, well, just that, an excuse.

PeeDee, you either really don't think before you post, or the internet brings out something of the bigot in you.

As for the OP's original question regarding Love Thy Neighbour, yes, I am of an age to remember it. While it is true to say that the 'white honky' usually ended up as the butt of any joke, it is also true, for me personally, to say that whatever joke he unded up as the butt of was very thin.

Regards,

kev35

LOL!! Jesus H Tapdancin Jugglin Christ LOL.

I know when the tests came in, but popular usage of the written language (Or being right on and PC) does not change the way people converse. I still use a Biro to write, I Hoover the floor. I shop at the "P" shop because they are the only ones open at 11pm. A spastic is not derogatory and Mongolism isn't meant to be.
Never ever tell me, or anybody else that they don't think. And do not assume you can speak on behalf of somedody else in these "Minority groups" because that in itself assumes they cannot. That is more belittling than the olde worlde names being used. And actually used WITHIN those elements of the community. Wheelchair bound youths refer to each other as crips or mongs. The Asian lad up the road tells us he's going to the "P" shop.
So, if the above, plus the fact I support the Death P (With rigourous qualifications) makes me a Bigot, I love the new name!

On the OP, all the "Laugh" lines came from the names they greeted each other with. The rest of the programme wasn't any good at all.

Unlike Till Death. Where the whole program was good, and the racist Alf was always proven wrong and made to look a fool........a fact clearly forgotten (Or overlooked because they are actually too thick) by teh PC brigade which has most of the episodes banned from modern broadcast.

Funny that, I was listening to some old Hancock's half hour. The PC brigade haven't got round to that yet, boy did dear old Hatti get some stick for being (a) Fat (b) Thick (in the script) and (c) Female. Oh, but hang on, she's White, so it doesn't matter. Silly me.

Member for

18 years 7 months

I've seen some rants here in the last 6 years and I've had the odd one (or maybe a few hundred) myself but I gotta say it, regardless of whether I agree or not that's impressive, PeeDee! :D

Member for

15 years

LOL!! Jesus H Tapdancin Jugglin Christ LOL.

Personally I find that a good deal more offensive than anything else you post.

But as you so aptly put it,I'm a Christian, so it doesn't matter,does it ?

Member for

14 years

I've seen some rants here in the last 6 years and I've had the odd one (or maybe a few hundred) myself but I gotta say it, regardless of whether I agree or not that's impressive, PeeDee! :D

Rants are in capitals. There aint none, that aint no rant.

Bumble.....Allah can't Tapdance ;)

Member for

18 years 7 months

Nah capitals are for shouting, not ranting. Either way it wasn't bad.

Member for

15 years

Not funny.
I mean it,I really don't like it.
Personal insults get stepped on by the moderators but you get away with that phrase without a peep out of anyone.
Nice.

Member for

14 years

Not funny.
I mean it,I really don't like it.
Personal insults get stepped on by the moderators but you get away with that phrase without a peep out of anyone.
Nice.

No, you are peeping!
It's actually stolen from a Film. But that's no excuse I know.
If the mods want me to edit it, I will. I dunno the threshold of complaints before an action is taken. Hope it isn't like the Ross / Brand affair, 4 genuine and 20,00 extras that thought it would be funny to have them sacked.

Member for

15 years

" If the MODS want me to edit it .... " ?

Cheers mate,you're all heart.