PC to Telly questions.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 1 month

I want to link my 4 year old PC (XP pro SP3) to a 42" Panasonic Viera. The Telly has an HDI socket and a Standard Blue PC Screen socket.
This is for watching movies and listening to music and very occasionally rehearsing powerpoint stuff for work.

It's too late to put a cable under the floor, I've done all my underfloor stuff and it now has laminate down.
Cable length would be 11 metres and have to go under two doors that would have to be left ajar. (My doors are only 1/16th off the carpet threshold thingy)
So,
Q1. Do they do screen cables that long?
Q2. If I cable it, I need a double output socket at the PC end. I'm presuming XP Pro has a facility to switch to Screen A or B?
Q3. Surely in this day n age, this is possible to do wirelessly?
Q4. On the SD card slot on the telly, what movie format does it need? I've tried .avi / .mov / .mpg / mp4. None of which are recognised by the telly.

Edit. On the Back of the PC, next to the screen ouput VGA cable is a similar but longer socket (Female) that is White. Under the VGA there is an Orange coloured Female socket, same size as the white. What they for? Can I use them?
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u24/PDH999/201102_PCPortsLarge.jpg

Original post

Member for

17 years 6 months

Google wifi pc to tv

like these

http://www.ezairwireless.com/pc-to-tv-uk

http://www.maplin.co.uk/directional-dome-5.8ghz-video-sender-kit-301891?c=brilliant1&u=p2%20promo%202011&t=wireless%20tv&gclid=ci6o8fzjg6ccfqjo4qodhuy9ew

if you are short of HDMI sockets on the TV you can get splitters.

though if you want the keyboard I am not sure, wireless one might struggle

Member for

14 years 1 month

Thanks.
I'm not really bothered about using the PC functions on the telly. Not the type which needs constant KB or mouse interaction anyway. I just want to plonk a movie on (Streamed or "Watch again" stuff or a DVD in the PC) and watch it. Our DVD player is getting old now, and I'm thinking the PC route is cheaper than a new player. Don't want a DVD recorder, just a Blue Ray player. I may get a Blue ray burner for PC, they are tumbling in price now.

Do you know what the White socket and Orange socket are? What's the little Blue one near the bottom? The Black round socket is S-Vid I presume, I've heard that's carp for HD images.

Member for

18 years 9 months

RS232 or serial & 15 pin dsub
You can throw image over 15 meters through VGA,any more than that and youll need a boost.

Member for

14 years 1 month

LoL. Which ones are which?

I've just measured the cable length actually required. 9.9 metres, and that includes a little slack. Mod Edit: Order and propriety have been restored!

Member for

17 years 11 months

LoL. Which ones are which?

I've just measured the cable length actually required. 9.9 metres, and that includes a little slack. Mod Edit: Order and propriety have been restored!

:D i'm saying nuffink!! [but where do you find one of these]

Member for

14 years 1 month

LoL.
I was thinking about adding some SLack to allow for the sAG. Oh Rev. Spooner!

It don't work. 10 metre VGA cable bought. 10 metre Audio cables too. Audi fine.
VGA...no signal. H freq and V freq are zero when I look at PC mode on the telly.
The cable is fine, I put it on my normal monitor to check.

Do I need drivers? Thought this was a plug n play job. My graphics card is Nvidia Ge Force 6600 driver version 258.96. Core clock is 350mhz. 128bit and 512mb memory DDR2. Memory clock is 532mhz (1064 mhz data rate).

Whatever the hell that lot means!

Member for

18 years 9 months

have you tried changing the resolution the pc is pumping out.

Member for

14 years 1 month

Hmm good call.

It's presently doing a 23" Pack Bell on 1920 x 1080. That's the max.
What should it be?

Mind you, I'm stuffed here because if I plug the lead in (For TV) I can't get into (Can't see) the display settings to see if the PC has recognised the connection.
I've only 1 screen going at a time.

Tomorrow, I think I will be able to use the PC monitor through the white DVI plugs. Theres one on back of monitor. Then I can use VGA socket for big telly only. Can I clone the same image on each screen?

Member for

14 years 9 months

I didn't think VGA supported full res Blu Ray?

Member for

14 years 1 month

I didn't think VGA supported full res Blu Ray?

No, I think you misread my meanings. At thend of the day, I wanted to run Films or music from PC to telly.
I gave up. Got a refund of cabling.

I tried every possible method to get what I wanted. Surfed several websites, 99% of which said it is plug and play, just press F10 to throw the image to the other screen etc. or use "Set up TV as a 2nd monitor" mode.
All I could get on the big telly was my desktop backround photo with no icons. Yes, I unticked the box which says "Show my desktop on TV".
When I did get it to show my PC screen on the big telly, it also changed my monitor res. to 1024 x 768 because it would only run in "Dual" mode. This was the only res. the TV would recognise, and is also what most of the websites suggested.
This was not the solution I wanted, having to change my res. back, and replace all the icons in correct order etc. was a total PITA.
Furthermore, I assumed my Graphics drivers must be yonks old. So I downloaded the latest.
BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH, looking for the nv4_disp.dll file. I found 3 of these files, in different locations.
Reloaded after BSD recovery, Same.
So, I restored the whole lot to a restore point from a fortnight ago, downloaded some older drivers from the Nvidia archive section, moved hte newer drivers in my "Ready to delete when I'm really sure directory" and all is well.
So, I reckon the latest Nvidia drivers are not compatible with the older drivers for the MOBO...does that sound right?
I don't fancy updating mobo drivers. The situation is, the PC is stable and working..LEAVE IT BE!

I wrapped up the cabling as neat as I could, reboxed it, and was refunded by Maplins. Saga over.