New crime-mapping website

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years

Has anyone had a look at the new website that opened today, www.police.uk ?

I've just found out that there were 393 reported crimes in my town last December,with anti-social behaviour being the largest category :eek:

Is this going to be a useful resource ? Any thoughts ?

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

I would imagine the insurance companies will absolutely love it. But here's an illuminating tale regarding either Police Intelligence, or the intelligence of the Police. I'll let you decide which it is.

Police Officer knocks the door just after the New Year. Excuse me Sir, says he, but I was wondering if you knew anything about a burglary four doors down which happened on Christmas Day?

No, I was out from early that morning till mid evening, didn't even know there'd been a burglary till you knocked the door. Was much taken? Said I.

Everything Sir, sound system, plasma tv, computers, games console(s) and the family car.

Well, said I, they'd got a decent sound system on New Year's Eve because it drowned out my tv from four doors away. I hadn't noticed their car was missing.

Yes Sir, it's a silver coloured xxxxxxxxx.

Oh says I, you mean like the one that's parked outside their house right now?

DC goes red, very red, excuses himself and steps into the ginnel between the houses and gets on his radio. Haven't seen the family since and the house is empty. Perhaps they've been burgled again?

Regards,

kev35

Member for

14 years 5 months

We've come a long way since George Dixon!;)

Member for

14 years 2 months

Amazed that one house on another estate near us has a total of 30 antisocial behaviours against it, glad I don't live there.

Member for

13 years 9 months

Smoke and mirrors. There were 2 burglaries in my road, the site showed just one, but they were both in December.
Targets again. Folks seem to think targets are a relativly new thing, and the figures set in stone. DON'T beleive it, 44 yrs ago, when I was a Police probationer, we each had to fill in a Form, stating how many people we had booked, and what for.in that particular month.
We were forced to manipulate the figures if we fell short of some target or other. No one ever checked, but if anyone Senior asked, the Sgt could state that all was fine, and dandy.
Just ask yourself one question, when did you last see anyone on the beat?.
I live NEXT DOOR to my local nick and only see them when they walk to and from work past my window.How did that justify them having a 2.6% pay rise last year?.
Lincoln 7

Member for

14 years 5 months

Smoke and mirrors. There were 2 burglaries in my road, the site showed just one, but they were both in December.
Targets again. Folks seem to think targets are a relativly new thing, and the figures set in stone. DON'T beleive it, 44 yrs ago, when I was a Police probationer, we each had to fill in a Form, stating how many people we had booked, and what for.in that particular month.
We were forced to manipulate the figures if we fell short of some target or other. No one ever checked, but if anyone Senior asked, the Sgt could state that all was fine, and dandy.
Just ask yourself one question, when did you last see anyone on the beat?.
I live NEXT DOOR to my local nick and only see them when they walk to and from work past my window.How did that justify them having a 2.6% pay rise last year?.
Lincoln 7

Your comments about targets all those years ago are surprising - you just think targets are a product of the last decade. As for the rest of your post don't get me on modern policing otherwise the mods will have me banned for life!!:mad::dev2:

Member for

15 years 11 months

Only 1 crime near me. Then again it is a military estate and patrolled.

Member for

16 years 5 months

Only 1 crime near me.

Yes.. and don't do it again Gibson :p