Sky Sports "comments"

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 7 months

Outdated and sexist by Mr Grey et al ? Blatant sexism, harmless fun, sign of the times....?

any views out there ?

Personally, the "private comments" view won't wash with me, and while I am prone to the odd non PC comment myself, I think these were all steps too far.

Original post

Member for

14 years 5 months

Inane comments by sports commentators at Sky are irrelevant, I would have thought. Who is really, genuinely offended anyway. I know we are supposed to be on permanent "abused" mode but really...I should think it has passed most of the population by.........:(

Member for

16 years 4 months

I heard a group of female referees set out for FA headquarters to lodge a complaint........but got lost on the way!

Harmless non-pc fun.

On a similar theme, How can Come Fly With Me do a dressing up as an asian yet years ago Black and White Minstrels got banned?

Member for

14 years 2 months

Wouldn't get that sort of thing in rugby...the fans will always think the ref and the match officials are idiots, always have done and always will!:D

Member for

14 years 5 months

"I heard a group of female referees set out for FA headquarters to lodge a complaint........but got lost on the way!"

:D:D

Member for

18 years 8 months

SACK THEM BOTH!!!!!!!!

And replace em with two birds with really big .........................:diablo:

Member for

14 years 5 months

So honour, or what passes for it, has been satisfied and Mr Gray has been sacked. Big Brother rules.:(

Member for

20 years 6 months

Just seen that Andy Gray has been sacked.
It all seems a bit over the top to me going by what I have read, I do feel both were sexist in there comments, However the rest of this is over reaction.

What worries me is comments were not made to the public until somebody "gave" or "sold" them to the press, Surely that is some sort of agenda or witch hunt.

Yes a big mistake from them both, But have they really done any harm in the long run?
I doubt it.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Earning a reputed million pounds a year plus, one would have thought that Andy Gray might just have had a little more common sense.

I think the right decision has been made and both should go. Let's face it, if they'd have said an assistant referee couldn't do the job simply because they were black they would both have been sacked straight away.

It's nice to know that some individuals earn enough gabbing about football to be able to lose that kind of money because they like the sound of their own voice.

Regards,

kev35

Member for

14 years 5 months

I fear that common sense plays little part in the inflated salaries which a variety of individuals, in all walks of life, are paid.

Member for

19 years 11 months

"PC gone mad"? "Big Brother rules"?

No, what we have seen is market forces in action.

BSkyB have a large number of subscribers of the female persuasion, and some of these will certainly have been unamused.

And then there are the sponsors and the advertisers, with images and market share to consider.

No company willingly risks alienating a portion of it's income base and most will always act quickly when the behaviour of an employee generates bad publicity.

Simples.

Member for

14 years

Funny that, Grey accuses News of the World of phone tapping. NotW also owned by Murdoch. An opportunity arises to make it easy to sack. Conspiracy!!!!!!

However, "A microphone is always on", and so many ppl have been caught out by it.

Extracted from the only independant paper left, The Daily Mash.
THE offside rule is so simple even a female human could understand it, experts have confirmed.

As Sky Sports launched some dreary investigation into the brains of Andy Gray and Richard Keys, experts said it would be impossible for a woman to not understand the offside rule because it is one of the rules of football.

Professor Henry Brubaker, of the Institute for Studies, said: "Of all the non-American sports, football is easily the most childishly simple.

"This is not Fermat's Last Theorem. It is a game designed specifically for low-grade morons who have to be told when to go to the toilet.

"Claiming you don't understand the offside rule is just one of those things people say at parties, because if they really didn't understand it they would be either a potato or a bar of soap."

Helen Archer, a woman from Stevenage, said: "Yes, that all seems perfectly straightforward. And I assume when you say two opposing players that would obviously include the goalkeeper? Okay, that's fine.

"Now, what really concerns me about this whole offside thing is what happens to the player who has been caught offside. He's going to be very upset and I really hope his teammates are there for him.

"Do they all go for some pasta and a glass of wine and just let him cry it out? Or do they spend the afternoon going mental in John Lewis trying on stuff they can't really afford?"

She added: "If I was caught offside I'd probably just stay in with my best friend and a big tub of Chunky Monkey and stare at Colin Firth's chin until I cream myself."

Member for

18 years 9 months

My only comment when I first saw her was not that she was female, it was how tiny she look alongside the other two linesmen. I've never watched her in action as I don't think the trival matter of 22 egoes kicking a pigs bladder holds any interest to me whatsoever. However, in a male (ego) dominated enviroment I guess that to get to that position, she would have to be 10% better than her nearest male rival.

Good luck to her

Baz

Member for

14 years 5 months

I don't know how many of you saw/can stand it, but the most ironic moment was in the run up to the first goal. A pass was played through, I think it was Torres on the end of it, being played onside by Zubar. Torres went through and scored, Wolves go ape claiming offside and the replays show this lady was spot on.

Even Andy Grey had to concede that despite his pre-match "concerns". :diablo:

I'd hazard a guess saying that women would be adapt at being assistants because they can multi-task, I can vouch that it isn't easy keeping an eye on the last defender and where the ball is or is being played to.

Good luck to her!

Member for

17 years 6 months

No, what we have seen is market forces in action.

BSkyB have a large number of subscribers of the female persuasion, and some of these will certainly have been unamused.

And then there are the sponsors and the advertisers, with images and market share to consider.

No company willingly risks alienating a portion of it's income base and most will always act quickly when the behaviour of an employee generates bad publicity.

Andy Gray should maybe produce his own TV programme called, say, 'Loose Men'. It should go out live at around midday (so young children can watch with their fathers) and have a male-only panel who indulge in blatantly sexist conversation and who make suggestive comments about attractive young women (and to young female guests).

I’m sure that this programme would find a TV company willing to air it since large amounts of advertising revenue will be generated from its mainly male audience.

After ten years on-air the show could win a major award such as the 2010 National Television Award for 'Most Factual Program'...

...just like the show 'Loose Women' did! :rolleyes:

Member for

19 years 11 months

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Member for

14 years 5 months

For me it's mountains out of molehills, but of course your earlier points about sponsors and advertisers are very relevant.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Ah, but not 'two wrongs' apparently!

A few off-air sexist comments results in the sacking of those concerned.

Many on-air sexist comments results in major award.....for most factual programme! :rolleyes:

Member for

20 years 7 months

:D

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i48/Deano777/1.jpg

Member for

20 years 7 months

That surely warrants a caption competition :D:D

Member for

17 years 6 months

Referee to male linesman: “Will this posting get Deano a yellow card for posting sexist material?” :diablo: