I.O.W. plane crash 5/8/2007

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years

Sad news today that a PA.28 Cherokee crashed today on take off at Sandown. It is believed that there were four fatalities.:(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/6932146.stm

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

On the same weekend that a R44 went down in Scotland, also with four casualties.

Not a comfortable couple of days for those of us involved General Aviation

Moggy

Member for

20 years 8 months

Indeed Moggy, a sad time. My condolences to the family and friends left behind.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I too have taken off from Sandown in a PA28, Warrior 2 in this case. I'm not going to speculate publicly, but as ever will read the report closely with a view to "ILAFFT".

Member for

20 years 1 month

Be it the dreaded 'Speculation' or not, this could be an appropriate time to consider.

* The effects of ambient temperature on t/o distance

* The potential implications of flying with a full passenger load

* The effects of a heavy fuel load when embarking on a longish leg

* Performance factors when operating from grass.

Blue Robin sounds as though he has something to say.
I personally do not see the merit in this rather mannered reticence.

If we (active pilots ) have cause to think about this NOW, we may yet prevent someone else/us stuffing in tomorrow.

AAIB will produce a very illuminating report. Next year.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Don't be so cynical Propstrike. The AAIB will publish their report when it is complete. Took them practically no time at all to get the report out when that young man piled in near Southend.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Depends I suppose what you call 'no time' . In the case of that Southend incident in took from mid July 2006 to June 2007 to compile the report.

I do not mean to be cynical, but I can not comprend the great merit in adopting a mass-silence, when we could respectfully acknlowledge the circumstances of events like this, and derive genuine safety benefits right now, especially when people are feeling roused, alerted and tuned in, which is probably quite a receptive learning state.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Prop, it's a bipolar argument one which was recently highlighted on Historic following Oshkosh. Anyhow I think you may have already put some of my thoughts into words

Member for

24 years 3 months

A spokesman for the Department for Transport (DfT) said ..... the inquiry would take about two months to complete

Moggy

Member for

20 years 8 months

Depends I suppose what you call 'no time' . In the case of that Southend incident in took from mid July 2006 to June 2007 to compile the report.

I do not mean to be cynical, but I can not comprend the great merit in adopting a mass-silence, when we could respectfully acknlowledge the circumstances of events like this, and derive genuine safety benefits right now, especially when people are feeling roused, alerted and tuned in, which is probably quite a receptive learning state.

Hey that is no time at all for them.

Member for

16 years 10 months

Don't be so cynical Propstrike. The AAIB will publish their report when it is complete. Took them practically no time at all to get the report out when that young man piled in near Southend.

Well, over 12 months on and I don't yet remember seeing any sign of the accident report being published.

Any news yet and has an identity for the unfortunate aircraft ever been confirmed?

Wicked Willip :diablo:

Member for

19 years

No report issued yet and identity unknown. The aircraft had recently been sold prior to the crash.

Member for

17 years 4 months

Couldn't find anything on AAIB website - Searching G-INFO by onwer given in the press reports returns Pa28-140 G-AVRP. Googling this returns a link to the www.ntsb.gov website which gives the following text.....

"On August 5, 2007, about 1100 universal coordinated time, a Piper PA-28-140, G-AVRP, was destroyed when it impacted trees and the ground near Sandown, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom. The airplane was on it's initial climb after takeoff when the accident occurred. All four occupants of the aircraft received fatal injuries. The flight was originating at the time of the accident.

This investigation is under jurisdiction of the AAIB"

Martyn

Member for

19 years

Thanks for the update, guess you spent even longer on the search than I did!:D

Member for

20 years 1 month

'Airplane' huh? A typo perhaps, or have we come to that?:mad:

Member for

17 years 4 months

'Airplane' huh? A typo perhaps, or have we come to that?:mad:

Well my Collins dictionary says: Airplane - n. the US and Canadian name for aeroplane

So as the quote came from an American source, in this case its presumable valid :rolleyes:

Martyn

Member for

24 years 3 months

It was, after all, a US built aircraft. :rolleyes:

They built it, they can call it what they like.

Personally I hate the term, it always looks like it should be a pneumatically driven woodworking tool.

Moggy

Member for

20 years 1 month

Didn't twig it was a trans-Atlantic report.

That should have been an internal rant!