4 dead in ABC15, Channel 3 chopper crash

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 10 months

4 dead in ABC15, Channel 3 chopper crash

Two news helicopters covering a police chase on live TV collided and crashed to the ground Friday, killing all 4 people on board.

ABC15's helicopter was lost in the crash, killing Chopper15 Pilot Craig Smith and Photojournalist Rick Krolak.

Krolak had worked at the station for 9 years.

Smith had been with ABC15 since September 2005. His dog Molly, who was frequently up in Chopper15 with him, was not with Craig at the time of the crash.

The second helicopter belonged to KTVK (Channel 3).

They have confirmed pilot Scott Bowerbank and photographer Jim Cox died in the crash near Indian School Road and Central Avenue.

The two choppers came down on the grass lawn in front of a boarded up church at Steele Indian School Park.

Police have identified the suspect at the center of the police chase as Christopher Jones, 23, and said he has a criminal record and is on parole.Link and video

This incident occurred not far from my house.

I can't say I'm surprised this happened. Every time there's a big news story to report you can look in the sky and see a half a dozen or so news choppers all converging on the scene, sometimes hovering so close together the pilots could probably spit out the window and hit each other.

I'm curious what the FAA will have to say about this when they finish their investigation.

Original post

Member for

18 years 10 months

Here's a pic

http://www.azcentral.com/homepage_index/pics/0727crash2.jpg