Perranporth For Sale

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Cornwall's only civil owned airfield which is available for general aviation has been put up for sale.

Perranporth airfield on the cliffs in North Cornwall has a guide price of £950,000. Its current owners are retiring.

The 330 acre (134 hectares) was originally built as a Spitfire base in World War II.

The airfield was built in 1941 for the RAF. It has three hard surface runways and two grass strips.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/6628215.stm

Anyone got a spare mil? That apparently is good value for land, especially for Cornwall.

Original post

Member for

18 years 2 months

perranporth airfield

a chance for all those ga pilots to club together,buy it, and have a great airfield to fly in to.
could be the first unrestricted airfields (300acres 3 runways) in the uk to be owned by a group of keen pilots,and have somewhere secure for the future.
it has a nice hangar now,with a spectacular coastal setting,and no limits of movements or hours of operation.(and hard runways)(plus grass)
with so many of the "regional airports" now not very ga friendly the flying community had better wise up to the fact that enjoying your flying is going to get more difficult,and there will be fewer airfields available for leisure use.
Kemble has now had an enforcement notice served on it,and this is how light aviation is going.
200 people clubbing the equivalent of a secondhand car each,and bingo one saved airfield for ever!!!
in ten years time it will seem to have been cheap,and a great way to preserve somewhere nice to go to (you have been warned)
come on you well paid BA chaps get your purses out!!!

Member for

24 years 3 months

What you always have to remember is that any enterprise survives on the people within it's catchment area, say a 25 mile radius.

For Perranporth, at least 50% of its catchment is inhabited solely (hehe) by fish
But a lovely airfield, and one I enjoyed flying into.

Moggy

Member for

20 years 9 months

And too far away from the Midlands, South & South East to replace Kemble, which is under threat of being closed.

Aviaition generally gets a good press and active support down here - we are short on employers that need people with good technical skills here.

Member for

18 years 2 months

perranporth airfield

AH but at Perranporth you not only get a timewarp ww11 airfield complete with its spitfire blast bays (later to become typhoon blast bays with added concrete to repel the oil),there is plenty to do when you get there.
the location has to be seen,perched on a cornish cliff with an instant 300 ft under the wheels on take off on 27,and a coast walk that takes you past sandy coves,and down to main beach in town.
you can then avail yourself of a paddle,swim,surfing,sun bathing,or use the beach bar,followed by the some of the finest homemade icecream at the "perran dairy".
having staggered back to the field you can then have a flight in a glider,jump out of an aeroplane at 10.000ft ,enjoy a snack in the genuine WW11 control tower,and then have a tail wind back whence you came.
where.s the chq book!!!

Member for

20 years 8 months

Put like that it sounds like a wonderful place but don't forget that it can be calm everywhere else in the country but a clifftop airfield is a wind magnet. You should be in advertising.

Member for

18 years 2 months

perranporth

Put like that it sounds like a wonderful place but don't forget that it can be calm everywhere else in the country but a clifftop airfield is a wind magnet. You should be in advertising.

I AM (they follow behind me whenever i fly) !!!

PS i did see 80knots on the dial in the tower once,
and they certainly had more than a few spits on their
noses in crosswinds,but we have our secret low level
bolt holes if it gets too much, and i forgot to mention
the pasties!!! (i will put you down as a maybe)

Member for

18 years 6 months

Cornwall's only civil owned airfield ......

Bodmin is owned by the members of the Cornwall Flying Club.

Martin

Member for

18 years 2 months

perranporth

Martin

He meant with all weather runways,has been in private hands since 1958,
and still fighting the council.

Member for

20 years 9 months

Martin

Isn't Truro airfield also privately owned and operated?

Member for

16 years 2 months

hi there
does anyone know what happened with this?
whether it was sold or not?
thanks
ed

Member for

18 years 6 months

hi there
does anyone know what happened with this?
whether it was sold or not?
thanks
ed

If this is Perranporth, then yes it was sold late last year and the airfield is now under new ownership.

Martin

Member for

16 years 2 months

yes, thanks