UK Flying School Directory

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 3 months

Hi,

I'm trying to setup a UK flying schools directory on my site (see the schools page on my site). If any of you guys want to listed (or exchange links) please drop me a line and I'll add you to the page.

Many regards and Merry Christmas

Carl

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Carl, this is done by the three main GA mags published within the UK. Creating a directory takes effort to obtain the initial data and further effort to maintain its currency. If the data is always spot on, you have a "pull mechanism" to visit your site over the others sites running an FTO directory.

I used to work for a company who collected and researched similar information for the "big boys".

To get the information, you will need decide what qualifies as a school, the extent to which your data will cover geographically (US?) and academically (ATPL?) Then organise a phone, fax and email survey to garner all the information from each flying school, chasing up the non-respondents as appropriate.

Be wary of relying on e-mail, flying schools are sometimes poor so lack IT facilities, the people runing them are not technically-minded in that way or their rural location means internet connectivity is limited.

GD Mods! Can we move this to GA, please?

Member for

17 years 3 months

HI BlueRobin

Thanks for that. I've spent the last few weeks, since setting up the site, emailing as many schools as possible and I must say the response has be slow to put it mildly LOL.

They are busy people and my little web site is really not big enough to take up their time which I understand completely.

I'll carry on trawling the web and add as many as I can.

The main ones I want are for the Private Pilots (PPL(A) and PPL(H)) . I'll also trawl magaxine sites as well. Keypublishing has some excellent ones and I am linked in their directory.

I also want to ensure that I am not getting information illegally so should I be contacting the magazines and asking permission to research via their directories?

Once again thanks mate you have been a massive help while I have been building the site.:)

Carl

Member for

17 years 3 months

Hi Guys

I have added a multimap feature to the flying schools page so that you can find the location of the flying school you are looking for. Just click on the 'Location Map' Link and a new window will open with the location of the Flying School.

When you send me your details can you also add the school's postcode.

Thanks

Carl

Member for

20 years 7 months

Carl

The link in your signature does not work

Dean

Member for

17 years 3 months

Doh!!!! :o

Cheers Deano, fixed now mate

Carl

Member for

17 years 3 months

Hi, small update on this page. I am now getting some response from this thread and yesterday added 2 more schools to the page.

Thank you guys, I hope we can build this up to create a good resource for prospective students out there.

I have also been working on the PPL(A) Syllabus page (link on left of homepage) and have now started to add some descriptions for the exercises (exercise 1 being the first I am working on). The link to each description is the name of the exercise. As I said, exercise 1 is the one I am curretly working on and any feedback/suggestions on the content as it builds would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Carl :D

Member for

24 years 2 months

Found another mistake. http://www.ppluk.info/images/voucher.gif on the homepage. Sticking a 762x360 picture into a 160x73px box is not cricket. Do a proper resize, the site will load quicker. :)

The syllabus page is too hidden away.

Member for

17 years 3 months

Found another mistake. http://www.ppluk.info/images/voucher.gif on the homepage. Sticking a 762x360 picture into a 160x73px box is not cricket. Do a proper resize, the site will load quicker. :)

The syllabus page is too hidden away.

Hi Mate

Thanks for the suggestions. Voucher gif now resozed and I have also moved the sidebar links from the schools and links pages to the home page so now the PPL(A) Syllabus link is from the home page.

Carl :cool:

Member for

17 years 3 months

Hi guys, just to let you know that the layout for the schools page has now changed. We have added a region map and each area has a seperate page to make navigation easier as the directory builds up. We have plenty of room now for new additions so get your flying school listed!. :D

Carl

Member for

17 years 3 months

Aerial Photographs now available

Hi Guys

Exciting new functionality for the schools directory pages. As well as the map feature to enable you to find the school of your choice, we have now added "AERIAL PHOTOGRAPHS" on the directory so you can actually see the location and layout of your school from a photograph. :D

Happy New Year

Carl

Member for

17 years 3 months

Hi

I've seen hadsome requests for PPL information such as age requirements, medical requirements etc and rather than have users trying search through LASORS etc I have added them to my homepage to try and get a central location for the usual questions prospective students are asking. If you can think of any common questions or data requests let me know and I'll add them to the site.

I am also adding to the schools directory regulary so if you haven't got your school listed let me know the details and I'll put it on there for you.