If Carlsberg Did a Club Fly-Out Destination...

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 2 months

After chatting with a couple of fellow forumites at Old Warden last weekend, we wondered whether Shuttleworth was in the words of the TV ad, the best fly-out destination in the world.

....But last month I think I might have found an even better one. You judge - or better still, post your favourite!

While working in Singapore, I gave a call to the Singapore Flying Club at Seletar to see whether I'd be able to wangle a flight over the weekend.

"No problem" says Michael Hinterbrander "Can you get to Seletar by 8.00 Saturday morning, we fly before the CBs get too big(!)".

You bet. 9V-BIG, a Tampico TB-9 was one of three based aircraft scheduled to fly to Pulau Tioman, an island off the East coast of Malaysia which fifty years ago was the location for Bali Hai, in the film South Pacific, and it lived up to its billing!

It's about an hour-long flight across the heavily forested Johore Peninsula. New fact; "if we have to attempt a forced landing, aim for the light coloured rubber trees, because their trunks are softer" - I don't normally have to think about that in my Luton Minor.

Next the 15-minute overwater leg, "high-viz lifejackets are OK, they help the sharks find you faster" then a run along the beach to alert the restaurant to incoming business, before a downwind join for the one-way in, one-way out runway. It looked daunting in the TB-9, but since a Dash-7 followed us in it can't be that bad!

Once on the ground, another world, with seafood and rice to die for, a quick swim, then back to Seletar in time for steaks, beers and a very big thankyou to Michael and all the Singapore Flying Club crew. Sorry, but Sywell and Fenland just ain't going to be the same!

What thoughts on your "dream fly-out" destinations?

Attachments
Original post

Member for

20 years 10 months

I think Tollerton would be a 'dream fly' out destination - but only for today though.

This is due to an 'event' taking place near the airfield, (and its not the the cricket) :diablo:

Member for

18 years 7 months

Would you believe they are building a Hotel in Vegas!

In terms of Fly-out destinations I think Bimini Seaplane base in the Bahamas, you land in the lagoon and then taxi out of the water on matting on the Beach, I was only 11 at the time, so not flying, but next time I am in the vicinity in one of Grumman's finest I will have to try it myself...

Now where's the coffee, back to work (and reality) :(

Member for

19 years 8 months

GASML,
Awesome you lucky lucky lad/lass , flying to places like this is what its all about, jealous you bet I am!