Weekend Weather Forecast

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 2 months

Hi again,

Phew, well the weather has finally warmed up and for many of us it's a brief taste of summer. However, as all to often with British weather, we've thunderstorms to contend with too!

Remember that you can get free planning forecasts for 4 regions of the UK from AWIS (The Aviation Weather Information Service), see http://www.awis.org.uk

If you need a forecast this weekend you can call and talk directly to us. John is on shift on Saturday, then it's me on Sunday. The number to call is 090 666 444 80 (£1.50 per minute) or if you are abroad or wish to pay on your credit card call 01902 895252 (calls cost £11.75).

Your friends can receive this forecast free each week by emailing [email]aviationweather-subscribe@weatherweb.net[/email]

Have a great weekend,
Simon

WEEKEND WEATHER FORECAST
==========================
Issued: 0900 Thursday 4th May 2006

FRIDAY (see http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack0a.gif):
A cold front lies down eastern coasts on Friday morning, clearing slowly into the North Sea. A ridge of high pressure will follow the front, although showery troughs will be moving northwards through Ireland.
For the east of Scotland and England it is probably going to be a dull and damp start to the day. There will be some outbreaks of showery rain, most of these for Scotland. During the day it should become brighter for most, although the far northeast of Scotland could stay dull and rather damp throughout.
Over Ireland there will be some showers as the trough moves northwards. It will be the west of Ireland that sees most of the showers and it is here that some could be heavy.
For most of the rest of England and Wales the day should be fair. There will be good spells of sunshine.
Winds becoming S-SW 5-10kt (F2-F3) behind the front but 12-15kt (F4) in Ireland and western coasts of England and Wales later.

SATURDAY (see http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack1a.gif):
Things start to get a little more confusing Saturday (and I am easily confused!). The front to the east starts to push slowly back westwards during the course of the day. Models are in agreement on the timing of this, so at the moment confidence is reasonable. A further showery troughs moves into Ireland and this will be edging eastwards.
In the east the day will perhaps start dry in places. However, the cloud and rain will be spreading back in with low cloud and coastal fog perhaps becoming more of a problem. Over Ireland showers will become more frequent and these will be edging east into Wales and southwest England in the afternoon. The bit in-between should be largely dry until the evening with broken cloud and some sunny spells.
Winds will be generally SE 5-10kt (F2-F3) but 15kt (F4) in northern Scotland and SE 15-20kt (F5) in Ireland. The winds through the English Channel are likely to become variable.

SUNDAY (see http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack2a.gif):
More confusion on Sunday and the exact locations of the fronts are unsure at present. However, low pressure is likely to be off southern Ireland, with a front lying over Northern Ireland, through northern England and into the southeast. Troughs will be affecting southern Ireland. A further shallow low may reach the mid-Channel area in the evening.
At the moment I think there will be showers for much of Ireland throughout the day, although Northern Ireland may escape these. A band of rain associated with the front will extend through western Scotland, through northern England, into the Midlands and southern England. This is likely to be rather showery in nature. However, later in the day if the shallow low arrives through the Channel the rain may become heavier for southern England. Northeast Scotland and eastern England are likely to be mainly dry.
Winds will be variable 5-8kt (F2-F3) in the south, mainly E-ESE 12-18kt (F4-F5) in the north.

**ends**

Original post

Member for

17 years 11 months

Hello Simon

As a newby around here, it is nice to see some activity on these forums. I was beginning to wonder what I had joined. I share the concern that others have raised that your forecasts are far too general to be of any particular use to pilots. It would be nice to hear your reaction to that observation.

Member for

18 years 2 months

Hi Lazy D,

Good to hear from you.

The forecasts are issue are just a broad brush to highlight any areas of good/bad flying weather. They are posted on another flying forum too and there are certainly no complaints raised there, in fact, they are very popular.

Best wishes,
Simon