Cranfield

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years

I'm just looking at starting my PPL and was wondering if anyone had anything good, bad or indifferent to say on any of the Flying schools at Cranfield.

The reason I'm looking specifically at Cranfield is because I live and work very close so it would make an ideal location to get to quickly.

Any comments would be really helpful.

Many Thanks

Tony :)

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

I don't know anything about the schools at Cranfield but I would say don't just look there because its nearest to you. Indeed find out what you can about them but also look at other places. These are many in your area.

Look on www.todayspilot.co.uk to find other schools in your area.

Neal

Member for

24 years 3 months

The reason I'm looking specifically at Cranfield is because I live and work very close

I have little actual knowledge of the schools at Cranfield, but it does have the reputation of beng pricey.

Best bet is to visit all the schools there and find out which you feel most comfortable with. Not a bad idea to take a trial lesson with two or more (If you buy your log book in advance and get the times you enter signed for those flights will count towards the 45 minimum)

Two questions just to get a better idea of what you could be looking at

1) Are you looking for a hobby, or are you intending a career?

2) Where precisely do you live so that we can consider the alternatives?

Moggy

Member for

18 years

Thanks for all of the messages.

Answering Moggy's questions:

First of all I thought I would take up flying as a hobby and if things progressed towards a career then I would see what happens.

I live in Hanslope just North West of Milton Keynes so Sywell wouldn't be that far either (Thanks DanienB).

I've visited Cabair and Taylor Aviation. Cabair were asking approx £150/hr + VAT +landing fees +fuel surcharges and Taylor were asking approx £105 all inclusive.

Cheers

Tony :)

Member for

24 years 3 months

For a PPL I would suggest that you stay well clear of Cabair, priority falls to the Commercial school as far as the fleet is concerned!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Agree with both the above. Well worth taking the time to visit Sywell and Turweston. Once you have committed it is harder to disentangle yourself. Cabair are very professional and have a modern fleet, so don't dismiss them out of hand on the grounds of cost. If they got you through your 45 hour minimum to a PPL and the alternatives take 60 or 70 hours the apparent cost savings can disappear.

On the other hand, your training is still flying, so possibly better 60 hours at £105 than eventually flying 45 hours training and 15 hours PPL all at £150 or thereabouts.

Moggy

Member for

18 years

Did you have a look around Bonus Aviation.

Member for

20 years 8 months

I used to work at Cranfield with a company called Westley Aircraft, just wondering if Billins still own G-BTGP, Cessna 150 which i think was in a lovely shade of brown last time i saw it.

Member for

18 years 5 months

I dont know if you are prepared to travel further but i believe you can lern to fly on Raf Henlow, not sure of names or anything. Im sure someone can correct me there.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I dont know if you are prepared to travel further but i believe you can lern to fly on Raf Henlow, not sure of names or anything. Im sure someone can correct me there.

You are correct and I'd say this is probably a better bet than Cranfield, although Billins and Bonus are also good fun!

Member for

20 years 8 months

The word Safety springs to mind fairly quickly, not saying the others aren't safe but, never having bent an aircraft seems to be a fairly good recommendation to me.

Member for

18 years

Billins having 'not bent anything' could also suggest they dont fly as much as the others being the 'smallest' !

I would think they have flown more hours PPL training than some of the other bigger schools. They have been at Cranfield since 1992 from memory. longer than all the other schools.

Member for

18 years

I used to work at Cranfield with a company called Westley Aircraft, just wondering if Billins still own G-BTGP, Cessna 150 which i think was in a lovely shade of brown last time i saw it.

Yes billins still own G-BTGP its white and red now. Simon Westley is still around.

Member for

18 years

Maybe but I just dont think its fair to the other schools to cast aspersions on safety records without backing up with empirical data. Just my opinion, will get off my soap box now.

It might be a bit unfair but the facts are there. Also Taylors have an unblemished record but have not been at Cranfield that long.

If i was going to learn to fly at Cranfield i would learn with Taylors or Billins. There is one school that i wouldn't touch with yours but i would be wrong for me to mention there name on here.

Member for

18 years

I would just like to say a big Thanks to everyone that has left comments. I guess I'm going to spend a bit more time and look further afield, I'm sure I'll be back on here asking more questions soon.

Thanks........Tony........ :)

Member for

24 years 3 months

Sounds like I should consider continuing my IMC at Cranfield. Tis only a quick dash down the M1 for me.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Oh dear, shame to see it in such a drastic condition, at least the pilot was able to walk away.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Any thoughts on Billins vs Bonus, plus doing a CPL and/or IR at Cranfield? I need someone to "Crowe" on about it ;)

Member for

18 years

Any thoughts on Billins vs Bonus, plus doing a CPL and/or IR at Cranfield? I need someone to "Crowe" on about it ;)

for the IR use Bonus. Why don't you use AFT