My First Flying Lesson!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 3 months

Was thrilled today to find my Birthday present was the above, and at the same time am slightly apprehensive,was wondering, can anyone reassure me/ humour me? and yes I love to fly, but being let loose at the controls how difficult is it really???? :)

Original post

Member for

20 years 3 months

I actually find it quite difficult when sober. . .

Actually you will not be 'let loose' you will be well guided and cared for.
As for how difficult it is, there is no answer. Some people take to it like a duck to water, others struggle and some never get it at all. If you found learning to drive quite easy and you have no problems riding a bike then you will find it straightforward. The thing to remember is relax. It gets a lot more difficult if you are tense. The aeroplane is designed to be stable so you don't have to 'white knuckle' it, keep you eyes on the horizon and follow what the instructor tells you.

Most of all have fun.

I worked out that crack is probably less addictive and almost certainly cheaper but I don't intend to give up flying to start smoking crack!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Congratulations on recieving a great gift.
I'm a student pilot so there are others here who will give more/better advice.
I would say its a good thing to be slightly apprehensive although once the day comes and you arrive at the airfield hopefully that will be replaced by excitment.
The instructor will go through how the aeroplane works, probably showing you with a model, the effects of ailerons, elevators etc.
You will then do a walk around the aircraft and then climb aboard and again the insrtuctor will go through all the controls. You will also probably be told where you will go on the flight, some places will even asked where you live or if there is anywhere you want to see from the air.
Once up in the air the effect of the controls will be demonstrated before control is handed over you to put the aircraft through some turns, decents and ascents.
Its not difficult really, I would say the main thing is to relax. Don't be tense on the controls just hold them lightly.

Most of all enjoy it but there is one warning, its addictive.

By the way, where will you fly from.

Have a great day.

Neal

Member for

24 years 2 months

Can you / Do you drive a car?

If so, you can fly an aircraft.

The stuff you'll tackle first, flying around the big open sky is simplicity itself. No kerbs, no pedestrians, no oncoming traffic, no gears and clutch, no signals, no speed limits.

Just relax and enjoy the wonderful feeling of freedom it brings. If it's a one hour lesson you'll find it'll be over in about fifteen minutes, or so it seems.

If you take it up, and as the course goes on, it becomes more intensive, and you'd look back on the simplicity of the first few lessons with fondness.

Is it your intention to go on to a licence, or is this just a one-off jolly?

Moggy

Member for

19 years 3 months

Hi Guys, thanks for the responses,
Yes I do drive, and yes I really want to go for my PPL...I wish I had done it a lot sooner, flying with Bristol and Wessex Aeroplane Club....Found driving or learning to, easy enough... passed 1st time! This ranks up another lifetime ambition, almost as good as flying on Concorde! :)

Member for

20 years 3 months

Good luck to you and I hope you thoroughly enjoy it! As has been said though, it is addictive.......................

Member for

19 years 3 months

Thanks, :) have a funny feeling I am going to be a lot poorer in the near future....

Member for

24 years 2 months

Thanks, :) have a funny feeling I am going to be a lot poorer in the near future....

You'll be in good company here then :D

Neal

Member for

19 years 3 months

Still.. poor but happy.... will make sure I take a camera and post up some pics, incidently if anyone knows who to approach for ""wing walking", look no further, have always fancied doing that too.... thats next on the list.....

Member for

18 years 6 months

I bought my Wife a trial lesson a few years ago (as part of my 'back to the sky' campaign) and she was a bit apprehensive, but the instructor was very good (Graham at Conington) and she thoroughly enjoyed it. (saw the house, missed approach to Alconbury, etc)

When she returned she said:

"That was great, I don't want to get my Licence or anything, but you should get yours back" Result! :cool:

Member for

19 years 3 months

It's not difficult at all. I remember my flying lesson. The important thing is to listen to the instructor & make sure you understand the controls. Ask any questions, no matter how small they may seem.
Practising on a computer flight simulator before, made it alot easier for me. You should buy one.

Member for

19 years 3 months

Thanks for all the tips, my son of 3 is now running round telling people "Mummys gonna be a Pilot" (lol) he also shares the love of flying.... was 2 when he went in his first helicopter, I have a couple of flight sim programs which I shall dig out, my partner (god love him) is already thinking, "Oh Gawd" what the hell have I started here, and is now looking for some hefty scaffolding to prop the old wallet up with!

Member for

19 years 2 months

Good on ya! The most important thing about your first lesson is to simply sit back and soak in the whole experience.

While I found the flight sim programmes really useful when you are getting into the training, you'll find once in the aeroplane for the first few lessons, there's an overload of things all trying to sink in at once.

Don't worry about that. Instead relax, let them come one at a time - and above all -enjoy!

Member for

18 years 8 months

I am sure you will not be dissapointed by the whole experience. Unfortunately, you will enter the halls of the lost souls, giving up all rational thoughts while yearning to fly again. And again.
Flying is the last addiction that has not been made illegal. Enjoy.