PPL

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 3 months

I don't know if this has been posted already, but, I am a teenager who is thinking about going for a PPL. Does anyone have any Watch out's or anything they don't tell you about? Any comments, help, suggestions welcomed. :confused:

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hi, let's start with a few opening questions so we know where we are.

First of all, what type of PPL? Light aircraft e.g. Cessna 152? Microlight? Any thoughts there?

Then, can you afford it?

Also have you been for a trial lesson yet?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Never pay up-front, except by credit card.

(Plus everything Blue Robin asks)

Moggy

Member for

20 years 7 months

When you ask them how much it'll cost, add 25-30% to the figure they give you. Then assume it'll be at least much.

Member for

19 years 3 months

Advice from a current PPL student who had to stop for a long period of time.

If you cant keep going regularly, then dont start until you can :)

I started when i moved to Coventry for University, however illness and coursework took over. I've not flown in nearly a year, and now I have 6 hours of things that I will now need to go over again..

Member for

24 years 3 months

Murph's advice is very important: It's not enough to be able to pay for the PPL in itself, if you can't afford to continue flying regularly afterwards you will have wasted the money and the flying you do won't be much fun due to lack of currency.

I don't know exactly how the conditions are for microlight flying in the UK, but if I were you I'd seriously consider flying modern 3-axis microlights as well. Generally similar performance - sometimes even better! - as a Cessna 152 but more agile and significantly cheaper to operate (except loadwise)

Member for

19 years 3 months

Heh I actually meant to keep training going etc but yes indeed that as well.

I am very fortunate in that I have secured (though from sad circumstances) the money to fund my PPL and to keep going at least until I can raise the money for the next stage (going modular route to ATPL). it's the wasted hours now I will have to spend proving to an instructor that I do know it and just needed a refresher that annoys me!

12 hours every two years to stay qualed if I remember rightly?

Member for

18 years 3 months

Hi,

The PPL that I have been researching is a light aircraft PPL not microlights, helicopters or anything. My parents have agreed to fund the costs, which I know are very high. I have not been for a trial lesson. Thank you for your help. :cool:

Member for

24 years 3 months

My parents have agreed to fund the costs

Cool parents.

Treasure them :)

Moggy

Member for

18 years 7 months

If you are an air-cadet, try and get a flying scholarship, I did and got my first 30 hours free at age 17, I ended up with my PPL before my driving licence!

I was only able to keep it up for 3 years though, I last flew when I was 20 and then acquired wife/mortgage and could never justify getting back current again (although looking back I wasted so much cash on other stuff...)

sooo 17 years on I am aiming to give it another crack this year.....

Member for

18 years 11 months

Make sure you ask if there is a membership fee, if there is find out when it has to be paid!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Find out what the hourly rate covers, for exmaple is the time from engine start to engine off, airborne time plus 10 mins, etc. Also does it include landing fees and VAT?

Member for

18 years 7 months

Also Check out the culture of the club, is it just there to get you through PPL, with the instructirs just hours building, or do they offer other types, a social scene and career instructors?

Member for

24 years 3 months

As you are 4 miles from Edinburgh go along to Edinburgh Flying Club (www.edinburghflyingclub.co.uk) and have a word with Bob Graham (Chief Flying Instructor) or one of the other instructors. Pick a day when there is no flying flying (ie rain/fog or phone first and check) and Bob will happily provide you with tea/coffee and answer all your questions.

Its a members owned club rather than a profit making business and the instructors are not hours builders - they do it because they enjoy it

g45

Member for

24 years 3 months

How old are you EGPH? If you are 16 or below, expect to wait a while before your licence can be issued!

Member for

18 years 8 months

Hello EGPH. Good luck with your PPL.

Best advice was definately from Moggy C.

DO NOT pay for an offer that sounds too good to be true - it will be. The kind of thing I mean is 'pay for your full 45 hours up front and get a 10% discount'. 10% of £5000 sounds like a great deal - until the flying school goes bust. Sad but it has happened a lot in recent years.

Best thing I can suggest you do before any flying is get your Class Two medical done. This needs to be carried out by an Aviation Medical Examiner. I think a list is available on the CAA website www.caa.co.uk

There would be nothing more heartbraking for you than getting to your solo stage (around 7 to 10 hours) and then being told you will not be able to fly alone due to medical reasons. Again, it does happen.

Don't let the above dishearten you. Just treat it as good advice. And again, good luck.

Member for

19 years 3 months

If you are an air-cadet, try and get a flying scholarship, I did and got my first 30 hours free at age 17, I ended up with my PPL before my driving licence!

Couldn't agree more. I never did my Flying Scholarship because by time I had the free time to commit to it properly, I was on my way to university.

I did however do my Gliding Scholarship which gave me 10 hours in a motor glider (Grob 109: Vigilant) which has been so so valuable to me when I started my PPL lessons.

I had had lessons in airmanship, aircraft handling, I had stalled an aircraft and successfully recovered, I had done engine failures and been in a circuit with some (basic) radio ops.

A fantastic experience never forgotten, for any young person with even the slightest hint of an interest in flying, the ATC is very much for you!

Member for

18 years 3 months

Hi,

Thank you all so much for your kind help. I will bear all of this in mind when looking for my PPL. To answer BlueRobin's question, I am 15 but was aware that you cannot gain your PPl until you are 17 but thanks anyway.