How about a forum Fly-in in 2006?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 7 months

So, how about it chaps & chapettes?
See how many names we get then we can come up with a venue that's central for all of us although I have to do my 300nm cross country for my CPL so personally distance is not an issue, I will rule out Scotland though ;)

Names below :)

Original post

Member for

19 years 5 months

See how many names we get then we can come up with a venue that's central for all of us although I have to do my 300nm cross country for my CPL so personally distance is not an issue, I will rule out Scotland though ;)

I'm definitely up for it Mr Deano if the Stearman is out of it's resto.
I'm in East Anglia but am willing to travel..

Member for

20 years 2 months

Why not centre it on Abingdon Fayre Air & Country Show on 30 April(www.abingdonfayre.com)
NeilP is somewhere on the forum or e-Mail him at [email]neilsevent@aol.com[/email]
blue skies & busy airfields
Colin
Oxfordshire Aviation Group
www.communigate.co.uk/oxford/oag

Member for

18 years 5 months

I dont fly but i may go just to meet you all. So count me in there.

Member for

24 years 2 months

If we are having a Fly-In then an event like Abingdon is not ideal.

I'd suggest we choose the location based on one of the free landings vouchers?

Moggy

Member for

19 years 11 months

I will rule out Scotland though ;)

:eek: You rotter :p

It would depend on where it happened to see if I could make it.

Ken

Member for

19 years 5 months

Moggy

Just out of interest why one with the free landing Mog? I'm always intrigued that PPL's will pay a fortune to fly for an hour or more to say, North Weald, Headcorn or some such place for a '£200 burger' but will cry foul when asked to pay between £5 and £8 at places like Norwich or a bit more at Southend for a landing fee. What do people moan about the difference between 2 hours aircraft rental or running costs (if privately owned) and the same plus £5?

Member for

19 years 5 months

Just out of interest why one with the free landing Mog? I'm always intrigued that PPL's will pay a fortune to fly for an hour or more to say, North Weald, Headcorn or some such place for a '£200 burger' but will cry foul when asked to pay between £5 and £8 at places like Norwich or a bit more at Southend for a landing fee. What do people moan about the difference between 2 hours aircraft rental or running costs (if privately owned) and the same plus £5?

I agree. Whereever such a gathering is likely to be held may be convenient for some and not others, if I have to fly distance to a forum fly in I'm not going to be worried whether I can get a free landing or not.

The situation could arise whereby a suitable airfield would be found, with a landing fee, as opposed to an airfield nearby offering a free landing -- for me and my aircraft, the airfield with the free landing only has to be 5 mins extra flying time and that's my £5 saving gone.

Personally I would be more interested in the type of airfield, facilities and reception/attitude of the people there.

As an aside, when refuelling, a half pence/litre difference would be + or - £12 on a tank full -- for me that's more of a consideration.

Besides - if we agreed on a certain airfield and could guarantee a particular number of aircraft then a discount could possibly be negotiated....

Member for

24 years 2 months

Just out of interest why one with the free landing Mog?

Just an excuse really.

We decide to have a fly-in during (say) April, we are then presented with a choice of just four aerodromes instead of four hundred.

The money-saving is welcome, but as you rightly point-out, pretty irrelevant.

Moggy

Member for

20 years 2 months

Moggy

OK....just a thought!!!!!!!!!!!!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Leicester has good facilities and decent food and has a good atmosphere.
If another venue is decided on then should hopefully have my ppl fairly soon so I could attend my first fly in as a pilot.

Neal

Member for

20 years 7 months

Just turn up at the North Weald Fly In on Sunday 8 January and have a fabulous time. I'll be there.

If you cannot all make it. Just come to the next one!

Member for

19 years 7 months

Sounds good, again I'm in Glasgow, but always willing for a few pax to share cost/flying.

IOM as a suggestion?

dme

Member for

19 years 5 months

You could try asking Norwich Aviation Centre, they would probably allow the use of their hangar exclusively free of charge. I know they hosted a private fly-in last year. their number is 01603 301991.

Member for

20 years

I'll try to get to North Weald on Sunday, Janie. What will you be bringing? By the way I saw a clothing company called de Havilland were advertising at Milton Keynes. Any relation to the famous family?

Member for

19 years 5 months

You could try asking Norwich Aviation Centre, they would probably allow the use of their hangar exclusively free of charge. I know they hosted a private fly-in last year. their number is 01603 301991.

Much of a muchness for me - Leic/Abingdon/Norwich about equidistant for me.
But if my humble opinion be known I would go with DBW suggestion.
Am sure Dale and Andrea would be accommodating with discounted landings (International Airport with friendly ATC), and discounted food -- how about it NAC??

Member for

20 years 7 months

Norwich is a horendously long journey for me, I am based at Filton or Staverton, why don't we see who we have and where their home airfeilds are then come up with a suitable place for all, you won't get that much further East on the UK mainland than Norwich, it's not really "central" ;)

Member for

19 years 5 months

Norwich is a horendously long journey for me, I am based at Filton or Staverton, why don't we see who we have and where their home airfeilds are then come up with a suitable place for all, you won't get that much further East on the UK mainland than Norwich, it's not really "central" ;)

Yup - depends who goes I guess.. :)

Member for

24 years 2 months

Norwich is a horendously long journey for me, I am based at Filton or Staverton, why don't we see who we have and where their home airfeilds are then come up with a suitable place for all, ;)

Inevitably then we will be looking at the Midlands.

I'd rather go somewhere new, which rules out Wellesbourne, Coventry, Sywell, Oxford, Staverton, Wolverhampton Galactic, Shobdon, Turweston. Thruxton, Wycombe.

Did somebody say that GA can operate into Bicester?

Moggy

Member for

20 years 7 months

I'm not too bothered about travelling a great distance if it's easier for the majority to fly into somewhere like Norwich, but I guess, if for the average person it's 80 miles for instance, then I guess we may as well fly 80 miles and converge, afterall if we are going to fly that distance does it matter if it's North, South, East or West?

I guess what we need to do is get everyone's home airfield down, we can then look at a suitable airfield reasonably central if one is available,

So far we have

Filton / Staverton
Duxford
Abingdon
Cumbernauld
Glasgow

(I know, it's going to be pretty hard to centralise for the Scottish guys)

Missing are Moggy's, Janie's, DBW's & Ozplane's

Member for

24 years 2 months

Missing are Moggy's, Janie's, DBW's & Ozplane's

Knettishall (Just under the Eastern stub of the Honongton MATZ)

From the list above, Barton is looking promising as a venue.

Moggy