Today's Pilot print quality

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 10 months

Over the last few months i've noticed a deterioration in the print quality of TP. In the Feb 06 issue (p18) there is an ink streak vertically through the buccaneer article. There have been numerous other examples.
I have other Key mags delivered, yet none of the others suffer the same problem.
Some TPs arrive with the spine badly cracked.
Why the difference? I'm considering stopping my subscription when it comes for renewal.

Original post

Member for

20 years 8 months

Over the last few months i've noticed a deterioration in the print quality of TP. In the Feb 06 issue (p18) there is an ink streak vertically through the buccaneer article. There have been numerous other examples.
I have other Key mags delivered, yet none of the others suffer the same problem.
Some TPs arrive with the spine badly cracked.
Why the difference? I'm considering stopping my subscription when it comes for renewal.

EyestoTheSkies

I have been a printer myself for 16 years, so I know what happens at the sharp end of production when producing quality work, Key Publishing will set the highest standards possible for their glossy magazines as does all our customers in my field (we produce flexible packaging for the food industry), with the print process comes inherant print faults, these are generally only detectable after they have happened, the fault is then flagged up and the offending material is disposed of before it can go down the production line, print machines produce thousands of copies per hour and the odd few copies will inevitably get "through the loop", and whilst this is regretable it is a by-product of the print process, it is absolutely impossible to have 100% quality on 100% of a production run and whilst Key would undoubtably expect 100% quality and would reject anything that was not so again a few will get through generally due to the high volume.
I suggest rather than cancel your subscription that you phone Key if your magazine does not reach you in the highest quality and ask for a replacement, and without speaking personally for them I would be pretty surprised if they refused you a replacement copy.
Keep the subscription going, TP is a great magazine for resource and information, it would be a shame if you had to cancel due to this but speak to them is all I can suggest.

Rgds

Dean

Member for

19 years 10 months

Dean,
Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I have telephoned Key for a replacement in the past (and received one promptly) but I don't want to have to ring up for a replacement every couple of months when none of the other Key titles suffer in the same way.
I'm in manufacturing myself, so I know that nothing is 100%, but I'm puzzled why I seem to be unlucky.

Should I buy a lottery ticket?
;)

Member for

20 years 8 months

Should I buy a lottery ticket? ;)
Definitely. This weekend is your lucky weekend.