Taylor Monoplanes

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 7 months

Anyone out there have any knowledge/experience of Taylor Monoplanes?

I'm not ditching the Spitfire! I'm thinking of constructing something that will give me valuable experience in building wooden aircraft, handy when contemplating building a wooden scale Spitfire, and the Mono has always been a particular interest.

Original post

Member for

20 years 7 months

Yeah, I'm surprised, too. I was hoping someone on here had worked on/built or flown one to give me some advice.

Member for

20 years 8 months

I'm amazed that Taylorman hasn't leapt onto this yet!

(congratulations on the first solo Taylorman!)

His postings always have links to the following........

http://www.freewebs.com/taylor_monoplane

http://131701.aceboard.net/

Let us know how you get on!

He has been very busy of late ;) Anna

Member for

19 years 2 months

A friend of mine operates a Taylor, although not a PC. But, if there's anything specific you want, let me know and I'll ask him.

It seems a very straightforward and 'honest' aeroplane. The Taylor certainly offers a higher performance on an equivalent VW engine than my Luton Minor! I think Steve's cruises at 75-80kts at around 2,800-3,000rpm (as opposed to 55-60 in the Luton!). We both seem to average about 3gph fuel consumption.

The only thing I have heard from some other Taylor owners, is that monitoring speed control on approach is critical. Get too slow turning finals and the VW probably won't have enough oomph to drag you back onto the right side of the drag curve in time.

The stall comes in with a bang (I think at just under 50kts but I may be wrong) and it usually comes with a pronounced wing drop, so low and slow could really ruin your day.
Other than that though, and that could be said for a lot of aeroplanes, it looks like a really nice machine!

Member for

18 years 8 months

Hi guys :D

thanks GASML :rolleyes: It was very exciting to fly alone for the first time.
Thanks for posting the links GASML

For any advice and questions you can ask me or Phillip Burgess. He's also a member of the Forums (his username is philburgs). But i don't have any flying or building experience (yet!!!).

BTW, look at the posts on my forum Daz.

Member for

19 years 2 months

It was very exciting to fly alone for the first time.

You bet! And just wait till you line a Taylor up at the end of the runway for the first time. First flight in a single-seater is like the first solo all over again!

Nice Taylor site too. We really ought to get the Luton Minor one revitalised a little as well!

Member for

18 years 8 months

thanks

You could build your own website.
I've never heard of a website about the Luton Minor, you could be the first one with a website.

As far as I know, my website is the only Taylor Monoplane website in the world.

BTW, how long do you own G-ASML?

Member for

20 years 7 months

Well, Terry Taylor did have a site for the Titch and the Mono up until earlier this year, but it seems to have vanished. There was a downloadable video of the Monoplane's construction and first flight - I have the latter saved at home.

Member for

19 years 2 months

thanks

You could build your own website.
I've never heard of a website about the Luton Minor, you could be the first one with a website.

BTW, how long do you own G-ASML?

Hi Taylorman.

Thanks, there is already a Luton Minor website www.lutonminor.co.uk, but Mike who runs it seems to have a lot of other things on his plate at the moment and it hasn't been updated for a while. I've dropped him a line to offer assistance in getting it back up to speed.

I've owned G-ASML for just over two years now and have been flying it for 18 months, for the last year out of Bicester. I actually bought the aeroplane before I had my PPL, which I only gained in May 2004. I always seem to do things backside first!

I can certainly recommend the Luton as a great first step into classic aeroplane ownership, although a two seater would probably help with gaining confidence faster, as on your early cross countries it would be handy to have someone else to discuss things like "wherethe heckarewe?" and "is that a 747?" !

Steve

Member for

18 years 8 months

Well, Terry Taylor did have a site for the Titch and the Mono up until earlier this year, but it seems to have vanished. There was a downloadable video of the Monoplane's construction and first flight - I have the latter saved at home.

Yes, I saw the link somewhere on the web, but it's vanished like you said. Don't know why though...

Could you send me the movies of the Taylor Monoplane you have??

Thanks,
Rick

Member for

20 years 7 months

I'll give it a try - it's a pretty big file, though. Think there are a couple of images from his site, too.

Member for

20 years 7 months

I've got their catalogue already ;)

Member for

13 years 6 months

I'm About To Start The Build On A Taylor Monoplane

Hi Guys

I've ressurected this old thread as I can't find a more current one. I have a question regarding the wing chord on a TM. I'm probably being thick but I can't seem to work out the wing chord from the plans. Sheet 10 shows two measurements that seem to indicate a 48" chord. The wing section drawing on sheet 11 however is at odds with this it would appear that the drawing is not quite 1/2 scale as the 3/4" measurement at the 10% station is not exactly 3/8" but about 13/32" i.e slightly larger than 1/2 scale. If I measure from leading edge to trailing edge on the chord line I get 23 and 27/32" which doubled gives less than 48" but if the scale is larger than 1/2 I would expect it to be more if the dimensions on sheet 10 & 10A are correct.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andy

Member for

20 years 7 months

Pretty certain the chord (at root) is 48"...

Member for

13 years 6 months

Thanks Daz

Are you a TM builder? If so how far on are you?

Andy

Member for

20 years 7 months

No, although at one point I was considering it. I did have lengthy conversations with Terry Taylor, however, and during the course of these, he confirmed the chord of the wing at the root.

Member for

18 years 1 month

I had one about 25 years ago, and it was good cheap fun flying, if not particularly fast.
From memory it was an RAF48 aerofoil in the centre section (48' chord). Plagiarized by Ken Rand for the KR1 and KR2.