Any Austers in The UK for Hire?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 7 months

I am looking for a Birthday present for my Father who is 60 next month, he learned to fly on Austers at East Anglian Flying School (based at Ipswich International Airport) in the '60s, he was a baggage handler at Southend to fund it!

I am just after a joy flight for him, I have tried Leicester Aero Club, but they don't rent theirs anymore, so was wondering if there were any others, preferably Anglian/Midlands based.

My second choice would be a Piper Cub, as I had my first turn on the controls on one when I was 9, when he took me to an Auster Pilot's club meet at Old Warden. He has mentioned the fact that he has never had the chance to fly in one a few times since.

I believe that they have a cub for hire at Sibson (Peterborough) which would be very convenient.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Original post

Member for

20 years 3 months

There are a couple of forum members who own or fly Austers. They might be amenable if you ask them. PM me and I'll give you their details, in case they don't want to discuss in public.

Member for

20 years 10 months

I think the last Auster on Public Transport C of A is G-AHAL, a J/1N based at Wickenby with Wickenby Aviation.

Leicester Aero Club have a Super Cub at their disposal (its owned by a friend of mine).

I have a J5/F which is based at Tollerton, but you would have to pay me in beer tokens ;)

Member for

20 years 8 months

Payment in beer tokens seems to be the only thing anyone is interestted in these days

Member for

18 years 7 months

Thanks Chaps!

I think Beer Tokens have proven themselves the most inflation-beating currency over the past 8 years, I wish that I had diversified my portfolio in that direction back then.....the beauty of hindsight!