Airshow attendances

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 7 months

Hello there,

I wonder if you chaps could help me with something.

I'm an aerobatic/display pilot based in Sweden and I'm starting the hunt for next year's sponsors.

I've put together some ads in order to try and point out to companies and their agencies how popular air displays are compared to the sports they usually throw money at (over here its sailing, football, golf and skiiing).

For years I've seen the statement about airshows having the second largest outdoor audiences. Does anyone know what the source of this data is? I'd like to use it in the ads.

One useful statistic I will use. The attendance at only the Rotterdam and Budapest Red Bull Air Races was 20% greater than the total combined attendance of every football match played last season in Sweden's equivalent to the UK's Premier league.

If anyone is interested I've attached a couple of the ads in very rough form

Many thanks in advance,

Ian Scott
www.manoova.com

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Your ads are great! Really love them.

Wish you all the luck with your sponsor scheme.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Excellent web site and a great idea, especially for those of us on this side of the North Sea! Good luck with sponsors, I suppose you have already tried SKF, Saab, Volvo, Semcon, etc.
I will be contacting you by E-mail as soon as I return to Göteborg from the Duxford show this weekend, when does your season for passengers end in Sweden?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Good concepts.

Need more 'benefits' copy. Don't forget that it's not just the exposure of the name that attracts corporate sponsors, they are also very keen on the 'corporate entertainment' value of events so that they can reward staff and smoose customers and prospects.

Hard figures on attendance and socio-demographics would be good too.

Moggy

I do this stuff for a living. You've had a few hundred quids worth free above ;)

Member for

18 years 7 months

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

Searching for revenue in this business always feels like pushing water uphill so its good when you feel you have a few people on your side.

Unfortunately the 'second biggest outdoor audience' line is a myth. I got a mail from ICAS (International Council for Airshows) in the US admitting that they originally came up with the line based on wildly inflated attendance figures and that they now disown it.

So, I'll use whatever hard data is out there and my own research.

And Papa Lima, we fly all year 'round. A couple of years ago I flew 40 displays and 115 passengers during a 10 week stint in Åre during the ski season on behalf of Grant's Whiskey (I used a Swedish registered Extra and a French registered Pitts S2B in order to get around the Swedish advertising laws). The weather here in Sweden is fantastic for flying most of the year. November and December can get a bit claggy but the rest of the time its great. I actually prefer winter flying especially on those crisp, gin clear days when the landscape is covered with snow and you can see forever. The aircraft also perform as if they have an extra 100 horses stuffed under the cowling. Heaven.

If you're ever near Barkarby and fancy taking a spin just let me know. You're welcome to fill the front seat if I'm going out flying (and I usually am)