Film title? UK light plane film...

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 11 months

A few years ago, I saw half a film on US TV where a light plane was flying north to south in the UK and the main actor, presumably not a pilot, was going to attempt a landing because the pilot was incapacitated or had jumped overboard. Any idea what the film was? :confused:

Original post

Member for

18 years 10 months

Talk Down?

Sounds like the film was based on Brian Lecomber's novel "Talk Down" in which the female passenger of a Cherokee(iirc) is talked down aftewr her male pilot passes out. A good book, well worth a read.

Paul F

Member for

18 years 11 months

Thanks Paul, but this actor was male, not that this would prevent the film company from changing a minor detail. No guess on the film name yet? There is no film called Talk Down.

Member for

18 years 10 months

Wot, No "little woman" wrestling with the controls

I can't imagine a film company turning down the opportunity to portray a "poor helpless female" triumphing over the odds despite her sex (sorry, but they can still be very sexist).

However, the fact that the GA plane is heading South fits so closely with Talkdown plot that I'm sure that's the book it's based on.

Paul F

Member for

20 years 6 months

Even if it's not the fim, I'd highly recommend the book. Brian Lecomber is a great writer, and I recall (stupidly) picking it up late one evening for a second time to read... Yeah, you guessed, the early morning saw me finishing it. It really IS gripping and clearly unputdownable. Brian's other books are recommended too. Oh, and he gets his aerotautical facts right too. ;)

Member for

18 years 11 months

At the risk of hijacking my own thread, if I had one book on my desert island, it would be Gavin Lyall, 'Shooting Script'. An action book involving a Dove, Vampires and B.25. The second choice would the 'The Last Hostage' by J.J.Nance, an American aviation writer of quality and this one involves a commercial hijack or does it? :)

Anyway diversion over, back to my film, light plane over the U.K. to be landed by a passenger, sounds like the Talk Down book, but what is the title of the film? :confused:

Member for

20 years 8 months

Even if it's not the fim, I'd highly recommend the book. Brian Lecomber is a great writer, and I recall (stupidly) picking it up late one evening for a second time to read... Yeah, you guessed, the early morning saw me finishing it. It really IS gripping and clearly unputdownable. Brian's other books are recommended too. Oh, and he gets his aerotautical facts right too. ;)
As a pilot he should, but I agree with the remaarks made so far about Talk Down (I've only read it three times, it's about due another read I think) Unfortunately I've never been able to find any of his other titles and wish I could.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Brian's other books that are listed here:at ABE books
Are 'Dead Weight' & 'Turn Killer'.

Fraid I'm stumped as to the film!

Member for

20 years 7 months

Newforest: The British Film Institute (BFI) are fantastic at answering vague questions like yours. Why don't you email them? Try their website contacts page - http://www.bfi.org.uk/help/contact/4.

Let us know what happens.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Unfortunately I've never been able to find any of his other titles and wish I could.

'Dead Weight' is currently available on Amazon UK

Moggy

Member for

18 years 11 months

Hi Janie, Thanks for your suggestion! :) They suggested the IMDB, the international movie data base which I had already checked and the Time Out Film Guide, available in libraries and bookshops. The film should be listed under 'Flying Dramas'. As at this moment in time I am unable to access either of the last two options, my quest must remain in limbo unless someone has access to the said book? ;)

Member for

19 years 2 months

The events that most closely match your recollections are actually based on a real-life story which took place in 2002.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/military/story/0,11816,741142,00.html#article_continue

They have been dramatised for TV on a number of occasions, most notably on Emergency 999. I would imagine that you saw this.

Member for

18 years 11 months

The events that most closely match your recollections are actually based on a real-life story which took place in 2002.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/military/story/0,11816,741142,00.html#article_continue

They have been dramatised for TV on a number of occasions, most notably on Emergency 999. I would imagine that you saw this.

Hi Trinny, Sorry, I think this is a red herring. My 'film memory' would be before 2002 and I am well familiar with your incident. In my film, the plane was flying north to south over central England over 3/10 clouds and I am sure it was fiction not reality. :)

Member for

18 years 6 months

Film title? UK light plane film

I agree that the film sounds like Talk Down. I have all three of Brian Lecomber's books; I would like to see a follow-up to Talk Down. My favourite aviation book, however, is Wingborn by Martin Caidin. :)

Member for

18 years 11 months

I agree that the film sounds like Talk Down. I have all three of Brian Lecomber's books; I would like to see a follow-up to Talk Down. My favourite aviation book, however, is Wingborn by Martin Caidin. :)

Hi Gerald, I agree with you about Brian's books but what would a successor to Talk Down be called and what would it be about :confused:

I like Martin's books but find them difficult to obtain, used :(

My desert island book would be Shooting Script by Gavin Lyall very closely folowed by The Last Hostage, J.J. Nance, check them out ;)

So nobody has a clue about the name of the film :( :(